The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 08:06am
Get away from me, Steve.

Offseason stuff

Unlike many of you, I don't work a lot of basketball (read: NONE) between seasons. I do football and baseball and I'm more than occupied with baseball season right now.

But I decided this off-season to go to a couple of camps (I've dropped 40 pounds since January and will need to order all-new shirts just to go work these) and work a weekend or two on the courts instead of on the diamond.

I'm not sure what my motivation is, actually. My goal is to get down to about 180 pounds (I still have a ways to go (as I'm still a 38 waist and I think 180 will put me in about a 34) but WeightWatchers and exercise will get me there) for next basketball season and I'm thinking the pain-free running is the part I'll enjoy the most at this point. It won't be the coaches or the ragged rec-style basketball, etc.

Anyone else not work a lot of off-season stuff? I normally work about 35-40 games a season, all varsity, and usually don't see a court between March and November.

I don't really know why I started this thread -- just guess I haven't posted in a while and decided to drop by.
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

The only off-season work I usually do is camps. However, my assignor told me he'd like to see me work some summer league ball to improve my season schedule, so I'm going to do some of that.
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 11:49am
Do not give a damn!!

I work basketball during the summer because it is really the only sport I care about year-round. I have no desire to work a single baseball game during the summer and subject myself to all the rain outs or stupid cancellations for no good reason. I know when I schedule a basketball game unless there is an act of God that game is going to be paid while working out. Plus what is a better way to stay in shape most of the year. And I do not have to spend all the time washing uniforms and equipment all summer long. I am attend a lot of camps during the summer and it is a great way to work on things.

I credit my summer work to keeping me in much better shape year-round. I would not change a thing.

Peace
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

I don't work a lot of off-season basketball. I do baseball in the spring and summer and I'm going to do softball in the fall, so I don't have much time to anyway. The only thing I'll do for sure is a couple of association camps in June. Last year I filled in for a few varsity rec league games during the summer just to make some extra cash on the side, but other than that I didn't do any other basketball.
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 12:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I I normally work about 35-40 games a season
I normally work about 35-40 games a weekend.
Old Mon May 04, 2009, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Basketball is the only sport that I officiate.

I work a couple varsity leagues in June and July. There is also a college league available that is good for a few nights in June and July. I typically attend two camps and am a camp clinician at a couple others during the summer months.

August and September is my time to get away from the game a little bit, but even then I can be talked into a little high school rec ball if I have a couple partners who will ref it "the right way" and the quality of ball is decent.
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 05:34am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I too only do hoops. While I have been asked to do, and in the past have done other sports, for me, it's just not fair to my family.......IMO.

That being said, I am still helping to coach my son's spring hoops league (only three more weeks to go) and I ref in a "high quality" spring league (F/JV equivalent) into June which is brushing me up on my three-man. I will also do summer HS Rec ball once a week before the HS season kicks in this fall.

I guess I'm fortunate to go about 8/9 months a yr.
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with gwar. My sport is basketball. Off season for my job is the basketball season. I call games sometimes 6 days a week. Durring the summer it's back to work so calling any other summer sport would reall leave my familly time in the rears. I do call a youth league on Sat for a few hours and I plan onattending a camp this year. Camps are a quite a task for us in AK. No running to the corner store. I'm looking forward to calling a big tournament before my camp so that should get my head on straight hopefully.
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 02:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I work only basketball, croquet and Calvinball. Calvinball is the most fun because there are no rules.

Old Tue May 05, 2009, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I work only basketball, croquet and Calvinball. Calvinball is the most fun because there are no rules.

But is there OT in Calvinball?!

(Calvin rocks -- talk about your Marciano-like moves and going out on top ...)
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 05:58pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Rich, how tall are you? I'm just under 6' 0" and just over 180#. If you are similar, you'll be wearing 36" waist.
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Congrats on dropping the lbs. by the way, Rich! (But next time, please don't ship them my way, OK? Gotta get moving ...)
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl View Post
Rich, how tall are you? I'm just under 6' 0" and just over 180#. If you are similar, you'll be wearing 36" waist.
I'm 6'0, and back when I was 180 lb, I could wear a 32 waist. YMMV.

Anyhoo, Spring/summer are baseball season; that's how I started officiating and it's my first love. Besides that, there's little/no rec bball where I live. The Fall is my offseason.
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl View Post
I'm 6'0", around 220#, and wear a 35-36".

Point being that it is hard to tell with just weight and height.
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 12:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I'm 6'0", around 220#, and wear a 35-36"
So Camron, what is that in metric?

BTW - last weekend during the rainstorm we had here, the lights at The Hoop in Beaverton went out twice during games. During one stoppage, one of the coaches wanted to keep playing in the dark. He said the way his team had been playing, it wouldn't matter.