The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 14, 2009, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Offseason Conditioning

Here's a charge to the masses: improve your conditioning. You'll not only feel better all the time, you'll hurt less during the season and during camps where you have to do a lot of games in a short period of time.

Last year at this time, I started a running program. I've started those before and they didn't last. This time I was determined to be different. It has (pretty much) lasted (winter was tough, but I now have a treadmill) and let me tell you: it paid BIG dividends this past season in both football and basketball, but especially the latter. I've suffered through Achilles tendinitis for years -- even in my early 20s, and I had few problems this year. I wasn't as stiff (you older guys know what I mean) after multiple games and doing games the next day was much easier than it has been in years. And frankly, my conditioning program was missing two important things -- weight training (which I did, but did very sporadically) and proper eating (let's not go there for right now). Over the last 2 years, I have come in and iced down after games. Ice works well and its my new best friend, but this past season, I got out of that habit because I didn't feel the need for it.

Anyway, here's what I did to start (in a nutshell): 4 weeks of walking, and nothing but walking, to prepare your lower body for the running (this includes bones, tendons, and skin -- aka blisters). Yes, I know you guys can run, and yes, I know you run a lot on the court, but trust me: if you aren't in a program, take it slow. We have 5-6 months before next season, and we aren't going anywhere, so take it slow. During the 4 weeks work up to AT LEAST a 45 minute period (hour is better; 1.25 hours is max), then add a running component. 30 seconds of running followed by 2 and a half minutes of walking, repeated for 45 minutes to an hour. Add 30 seconds per week (or 15 if 30 is too much), but walk at least 1 minute per set up until you are running about 9 minutes. At that point, you can decide what you want to do. If you need to repeat a week, no problem. Its all about progress, not perfection. This is what I did, and I know everyone is different, so tell us what you've done.

Conditioning will make you look better, but more importantly, you will feel better and be healthier all around. I'm focusing on strength training this off-season and I'll talk about that later. Please chime in with ideas and motivating thoughts.
Old Tue Apr 14, 2009, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
I know everyone is different
Right. What was your baseline on this? (age, ht., wt, etc.)? Just curious
Old Tue Apr 14, 2009, 05:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

From The Hawkeye State ...

IOWA HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION
KEY POINTS TO PROPER WARM-UP AND STRETCHING

The warm-up period should last 5 - 15 minutes depending on the intensity of the activity to follow. The more intense the activity, the longer the warm-up period should be. Warmup intensity should gradually be increased until it is near that of the activity to be performed. A rest period of 5-10 minutes should follow the warm-up prior to the activity. A warm-up remains effective in increasing muscle temperature for up to 45 minutes after it has been completed. After 45 minutes have expired, additional warm-up should take place before any activity.
1. Passive warm-up. The use of warm showers or whirlpools, heating pads, massage, or analgesic creams does not significantly warm up the muscles and should never take the place of actively warming up.
2. General warm-up. The use of activities such as walking, jogging, jumping rope, or calisthenics prior to activity reduces the risk of injury.
3. Specific warm-up. The use of movements that are an actual part of the activity to be performed is an excellent way to warm-up.
4. General warm-up activities should precede specific warm-up.
5. Always do general warm-up activities before stretching.
6. Stretching should result in a mild tension in the muscle being stretched. Pain is counterproductive when stretching!
7. Hold each stretch for 30 - 60 seconds.
8. Never bounce when stretching!
9. Stretching after a contest will help to alleviate possible muscle soreness the next day and improve overall flexibility.
10. To prevent possible further injury, it is best to consult a medical professional before stretching when an injury is present.

The following is a synopsis of a survey conducted by Kurt Walderbach with the assistance of the Iowa High School Athletic Association. Kurt is a physical therapist, specializing in sports medicine, and a nationally certified athletic trainer. Kurt has also been a registered official with the Iowa High School Athletic Association for the past sixteen years. He has state tournament experience in basketball and football.

Two hundred forty-eight (248) IHSAA state football play-off officials were surveyed to evaluate certain health variables related to football officiating. 205, or 83%, of the officials surveyed responded to the survey. 18% of the officials responding to the survey were injured during the football season. The majority of those officials did not lose time from their jobs as a result of the injuries sustained, but did lose time officiating. 62% of the injuries sustained were muscle strains, 24% were sprains, and 14% were cuts and bruises. The survey results show a direct correlation between age and the incidence of injury, especially sprains and strains. As age increased, so did the number of injuries sustained. There was also a correlation between pregame stretching and the number of injuries. 73% of the officials injured did not follow the IHSAA pregame stretching guidelines. Officials who followed the pregame stretching guidelines had significantly fewer sprains and strains.

Two things seem obvious from this survey.
1. As officials get older their risk of injury increases. This means officials must work hard on a year-round basis to maintain your optimal weight, retain your flexibility, and stay physically fit.
2. Officials who followed the IHSAA pregame stretching guidelines had significantly fewer sprains and strains.
Another interesting item from the survey is this: Of the officials responding to the survey, 49% had a physical examination within the last year, 30% had a physical examination within the last 3 years, and 21% had their last physical examination more than three years ago. The AMA recommendations are that anyone over 40 years old have a physical examination on a yearly basis. 70% of the officials surveyed were forty years old or older. Sports officiating can be physically demanding and may require a high degree of strenuous exercise. In order to protect your health, and longevity in an avocation you love, we encourage you to have regular physical examinations and maintain a high fitness level in order to reduce the risk of injury. If you have any questions about fitness and wellness, please don’t hesitate to contact Alan Beste at the Athletic Association Office.

Remember: Each year a new sports season starts, the players are the same age as players were ten years ago, although they may be faster, bigger, and stronger. Officials, however, are just ten years older!
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Apr 14, 2009, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What was your baseline on this? (age, ht., wt, etc.)?
I'd rather not get too personal, but let's just say over 35, slightly above average ht., and I wear XXL shirts -- somewhat of a muscular build, but not exactly 8% bodyfat. For guys that are 150 pounds or less, you might not need as much leg prep work, but I can't caution you enough that starting out too fast CAN lead to many problems: overuse injuries, overuse pain (temporary and minor, but will kill a workout), shin splints, blisters, not to mention mental factors like discouragement.

Oh, and I left out a very important thing: go get fitted for correct shoes at a RUNNING store, not Sports Authority. Become familiar with your pronation and gait factor.
Old Tue Apr 14, 2009, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
I'd rather not get too personal, but let's just say over 35, slightly above average ht., and I wear XXL shirts -- somewhat of a muscular build, but not exactly 8% bodyfat. For guys that are 150 pounds or less, you might not need as much leg prep work, but I can't caution you enough that starting out too fast CAN lead to many problems: overuse injuries, overuse pain (temporary and minor, but will kill a workout), shin splints, blisters, not to mention mental factors like discouragement.

Oh, and I left out a very important thing: go get fitted for correct shoes at a RUNNING store, not Sports Authority. Become familiar with your pronation and gait factor.
As a marathon runner, that could not be overstated anymore. Go to a specialty running store and get a pair of shoes. They will get you a great pair of shoes that fit your feet and body. Then when you go shoe shopping, you know how a proper shoe feels. Everyone's foot is different so shoes that work with some may not work with others. Additionally, if a shoe doesn't fit exactly right, see if you can get an insole/insert (again go to the running store)

-Josh
Old Tue Apr 14, 2009, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, I also encourage you to use this off-season to prepare for your best season ever.

I have always reffed at about 202 pounds (I'm 5'11). I have lifted weights and done cardio 5 days a week since I was in my teens so I have a muscular build. For the last 5 years, I have ended the season with a very sore achilles. Last summer, I agreed to let my wife (who is a personal trainer and nutritionist) write an eating plan for me.

In about 2 months, I dropped my weight from 202 to 188. My bodyfat percentage went from 19% to 13%.

No injuries and absolutely no pain this last season. I'm staying at 188 year-round now. Just do it.
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 03:35pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Might I Recommend Taking up Jump Rope?

Kings Firecrackers on blip.tv

You could get in great shape too!
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 04:01pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post

Phenomenal!

Skip-rope dancing in tune and to the beat to Footloose! Sign these girls to a contract! I have never seen anything like that in my life!

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Wed Apr 15, 2009 at 04:05pm.
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Phenomenal!

Skip-rope dancing in tune and to the beat to Footloose! Sign these girls to a contract! I have never seen anything like that in my life!
Now THEY could get away with justified taunting!
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 04:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

My conditioning is the same off season as during the season. I break it down into physical and mental conditioning. For physical conditioning, I walk my dog two times a day for about a total of three miles. For mental conditioning, I do the Daily Jumble in the newspaper and watch as much Monty Python as possible. Those guys put me in the exact proper mood to relate to coaches.
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Juulie sighting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post

Isn't that Juulie in the back row?
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 07:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Isn't that Juulie in the back row?
No. Here's Juulie skipping rope.

Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
No. Here's Juulie skipping rope.

No, padgett, I've got grayer hair than that. And more wrinkles.
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 07:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Juulie Downs, A.K.A. Wonder Woman ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
No, Padgett, I've got grayer hair than that. And more wrinkles.
But you haven't said anything about not owning an outfit like the one shown?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 08:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
But you haven't said anything about not owning an outfit like the one shown?
That's her ref outfit - plus fishnets, of course.