The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 09, 2002, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Hey guys (and gals)

I am a new (this past summer) ump and was wondering if any of you vets out there have ideas or tips for maintaining my game over the offseason.

Also if anyone has any recommendations, I'm looking for a good book or video on balks, can't really seem to find one.

Thanks
Old Mon Nov 11, 2002, 03:02pm
Veteran College Umpire

Talking

Anything that works your legs is good anytime. As for the specific muscles of umpiring, I pop a video in and call the balls and strikes along with the plate guy. He misses a lot more than I do, by the way... This also works your timing. To tune your basework, get in front of a mirror and do the old umpire school "safes and outs". You'll see your mechanics and can modify them instantly.

Books and videos about balks...there's a video called "See a Balk, Call a Balk" that's been around quite awhile, but (in my opinion) it isn't very good. The 1997 NCAA Rules Video had a good section on what the NCAA considers a balk, with Bill Thurston (former NCAA Rules Editor) doing the demonstrating. Of course, that was a few years ago and not all the info is valid anymore. The guys at EUmpire who post here should have a lot more resources they can point you toward. As for books on balks - nothing beats seeing demonstrations, which is probably why there aren't any great books on balks, either. Making it more complicated is the fact that what is a balk in Fed may not be in NCAA may not be in Pro may not be in LL ad infinatum.

Work your legs, get your heart rate up, and yell for a couple of hours at a time (then you won't lose your voice the first week of the season). People will look at you strangely and you won't have to wait in line at the grocery store (folks will let you go first). Have at it.
Old Mon Nov 11, 2002, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Off-season? No winter ball. Sometimes winterball takes you into spring (with the exception of December and January).

Look for an association that is doing winter ball (Pony, LL, Fed, adult, etc...) and join. Get the reps. It keeps you oiled.

Nothing gets you ready physically for umping then umping. I have done running, squats, leg thrusts, etc... and nothing is as good as the old position. So if you want to get your legs back, look in the mirror and do about 300 deep-knee bends.

Just know, whatever you do, after the first game, you will be sore.