View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 14, 2009, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
I'd rather not get too personal, but let's just say over 35, slightly above average ht., and I wear XXL shirts -- somewhat of a muscular build, but not exactly 8% bodyfat. For guys that are 150 pounds or less, you might not need as much leg prep work, but I can't caution you enough that starting out too fast CAN lead to many problems: overuse injuries, overuse pain (temporary and minor, but will kill a workout), shin splints, blisters, not to mention mental factors like discouragement.

Oh, and I left out a very important thing: go get fitted for correct shoes at a RUNNING store, not Sports Authority. Become familiar with your pronation and gait factor.
As a marathon runner, that could not be overstated anymore. Go to a specialty running store and get a pair of shoes. They will get you a great pair of shoes that fit your feet and body. Then when you go shoe shopping, you know how a proper shoe feels. Everyone's foot is different so shoes that work with some may not work with others. Additionally, if a shoe doesn't fit exactly right, see if you can get an insole/insert (again go to the running store)

-Josh