The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Giving the fumble signal

Had a disagreement with another official on a play that happened earlier this year. It was on my mind yesterday, so I thought I would ask it here.

A1 is dribbling in her front court, ends her dribble, then fumbles the ball about 10 feet away. She starts out to retrieve the ball, then stops short of the ball believing that her next touch will be a violation. With the defense closing in, she decides to go ahead and pick up the ball. Of course, no whistle, the coach of Team B immediately complains, I give the fumble signal (I know that the fumble signal is not a proper NFHS mechanic, but I use it anyway). Later my P says that I should go ahead and give the fumble signal early (before she picks up the ball) so that everyone will know that you are on top of it, sort of like when an official gives the tip signal early when the ball goes into the back court.

My thoughts are to wait and let the play develop then give a signal after the ball is retrieved. To me it looks like you are not trying to coach the team.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

In that kind of situation, I wouldn't worry too much about being accused of "coaching." You're not telling the players what to do, you're reporting the status of the ball. In this regard, signalling "fumble" is in fact like signalling a tip on a potential BC violation.

I'm sort of curious what your "fumble" signal is. Is it like the "bobble" signal umpires use at 1B?
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I'm sort of curious what your "fumble" signal is. Is it like the "bobble" signal umpires use at 1B?
Not a baseball guy, but I believe it is the same. Two hands in front of body, palms facing skyward, alternating up and down. Sort of like holding Dolly Parton's.....well never mind.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 09:34am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

This is also the bobble signal that officials use in the NFL.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 02:40pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Just curious

Is the "fumble" signal similar to the "hit to the head" signal in that it elaborates on what happened, is easily understood, and yet everyone knows it's not an approved/authorized signal?
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Isignalling a tip on a potential BC violation.
?
Whoa. Say, under NF rules, A has PC in front court. Ball passed, B1 tips to backcourt. Do you signal? Isn't it BC violation if caught in backcourt on fly but not if caught after bounce? What if U1 has been calling tips but R and U2 have not? Does one team get an advantage by being warned of tip? If you signal tip for backcourt, why not signal tip for OOB?

Deviation from approved mechanics is a prescription for disaster. By definition, using non-approved mechanics during play leads to inconsistency. There is absolutely nothing to gain, in terms of calling game, by signaling a no-call.
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
Whoa. Say, under NF rules, A has PC in front court. Ball passed, B1 tips to backcourt. Do you signal? Isn't it BC violation if caught in backcourt on fly but not if caught after bounce? What if U1 has been calling tips but R and U2 have not? Does one team get an advantage by being warned of tip? If you signal tip for backcourt, why not signal tip for OOB?

Deviation from approved mechanics is a prescription for disaster. By definition, using non-approved mechanics during play leads to inconsistency. There is absolutely nothing to gain, in terms of calling game, by signaling a no-call.
Nonsense.

You're not signalling a no-call. You're signalling who touched the ball last in the front court. There's nothing the matter with conveying that information to your partner(s) to ensure that the proper and appropriate call is subsequently made.

And yes, you can also signal the same information for out of bounds calls, both as the calling official and to assist the calling official.

It's just another tool that competent, experienced officials use when deemed necessary.

The competence of an official is measured by the accuracy of their calls. Mechanics are supposed to aid that accuracy, not hinder it.
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, I signal if I'c C (or L in 2-person) and the tip was in my area. It lets my partner know NOT to blow the whistle for the violation, since there wasn't one. If he sees something else that makes it a violation (e.g., A1 catching the ball on the fly, if we "believe" the interp), then he can still blow the whistle.
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

About a month or so ago, I believe it was a Big Ten game where the trail official signaled a tip into the backcourt, no call, then the center official tableside (Jim Burr) busts in and calls a back court violation. Jim Burr gives angry coach quick explanation. That had to be an interesting post game talk.
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 10:02am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Since I don't believe that interpretation, there's really no danger here.

And in general, I'd say "Lighten up, Francis." A quick signal to alert a partner doesn't equate with the end of the world.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 12:14am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Is the "fumble" signal similar to the "hit to the head" signal in that it elaborates on what happened, is easily understood, and yet everyone knows it's not an approved/authorized signal?
Isn't the hit to the head signal a valid signal in NCAA-W now?

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 12:16am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
Isn't the hit to the head signal a valid signal in NCAA-W now?
Yes.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 09:24am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
In that kind of situation, I wouldn't worry too much about being accused of "coaching." You're not telling the players what to do, you're reporting the status of the ball. In this regard, signalling "fumble" is in fact like signalling a tip on a potential BC violation.

I could envision JugglingReferee using this mechanic.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 09:38am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Interesting, I might give the tip signal if I'm the C and it came from my area, but if I'm T on this play and it's in my area the whole time, I don't signal tip.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 04:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Me Too ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
I could envision JugglingReferee using this mechanic.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)