The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

-While I agree that most players do not fall down by themselves there are times when there is contact between feet that just is not a foul...In a confined space there is time when there just is not a foul..

While I cannot see all agles of the play... Philosophically can you penalize a defender that did not do anything wrong?

-Where did the 2 of 4 (rythym, balance, speed and quickness)plus illegal contact become a foul?

-Illegal contact is a foul.. (remember there is legal contact). If there is contact often we use rythym, balance, speed and quickness to determine if there was an advantage/disadvantage or if the contact was incidental.

If there is contact and it changes even one of the four I might have a foul...
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 01:09pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
If there is contact and it changes even one of the four I might have a foul...
Not sure how it fits this description, but the contact in this case caused the guy to basically fall on his face.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Hey, Dexter. Nice to have you posting again. Hope you are doing well.

I don't know if it will alter your opinion, but humor me by going back and reading what I wrote in posts #11 and #27, and usung the video link provided therein to see if you can pick-up the clipping of the foot that I mention. It is difficult to see from the given angle and without super slow-mo, but I do believe that it is there and caused the trip.
I've watched the play about a half-dozen times now and still don't see any contact between Blue 15 and White 2. When I look closely, I see B15's right foot hitting the back of his left calf, his right foot then plantarflexes and his toe hits the floor, dragging him a bit and causing him to fall - tripping over his own feet.
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 01:42pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter View Post
I've watched the play about a half-dozen times now and still don't see any contact between Blue 15 and White 2. When I look closely, I see B15's right foot hitting the back of his left calf, his right foot then plantarflexes and his toe hits the floor, dragging him a bit and causing him to fall - tripping over his own feet.
From what I saw #2's leg contacted #15's right leg causing it to go into the back of his left leg.

#2's father is a buddy of mine, I'm gonna ask him this week if there was any contact. I trust his son will provide an honest answer.
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

The fact that so many people have looked at this play and disagree about whether there's a foul or whether there's even contact makes my point that you don't make this call from lead.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 04:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
The fact that so many people have looked at this play and disagree about whether there's a foul or whether there's even contact makes my point that you don't make this call from lead.
Unless the L's angle (which none of the cameras could show) gave her a view none of us had.
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 04:24pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I agree that it's very hard to make this call from the lead, but if we ever get to see the look the lead had, I think we'll all agree there was contact.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 04:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Contact ...

From the videos posted, I don't see any contact at all, legal, or illegal. The ball handler tripped himself.

If the lead had a better angle than the trail, and than the cameras, and saw some contact, then I have no problem with him making the call because the contact that he saw certainly put the ball handler at a disadvantage, he fell, and went into the backcourt. I just hope that he didn't guess from the lead.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I agree that it's very hard to make this call from the lead, but if we ever get to see the look the lead had, I think we'll all agree there was contact.
Don't need to see that angle to see the contact. This is to the point of hilarity that referees on here cannot see the foul. I saw it the 1st time and on each subsequent replay CBS showed. As #15's foot passes #2's calf, watch it change direction and go behind his other foot causing him to fall. I guess not all are created with equal eyesight or ability.
What happens when you see a foul - not in your primary and your supervisor asks if you saw it. Are you gonna say it's not my primary or just say you weren't looking there as many use that cop out.
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 05:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
From the videos posted, I don't see any contact at all, legal, or illegal. The ball handler tripped himself.

If the lead had a better angle than the trail, and than the cameras, and saw some contact, then I have no problem with him making the call because the contact that he saw certainly put the ball handler at a disadvantage, he fell, and went into the backcourt. I just hope that he didn't guess from the lead.
Even if there was contact (which I clearly have not seen any by replays), then I still do not see how this is a foul. The Kansas player ran up the back of the MSU player. If that is a foul, then we miss a lot of fouls in the game of basketball. Other than him falling, nothing the MSU player did or would have done was illegal.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refguy View Post
I guess not all are created with equal eyesight or ability.
You got that right.

Some people know the rules.

Some people know the rules and HOW TO APPLY them properly.

There's a difference.

A difference that you - to the point of hilarity - seem to miss time and time again.
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Unless the L's angle (which none of the cameras could show) gave her a view none of us had.
Exactly why you don't make such a call that far out of your area unless Ray Charles could make the call, sitting 50 rows up.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 06:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
Here's a screenshot of the play - trail is just off screen, straddling the centre line, and then takes two steps along the sideline, into the FC.
That's the problem. They were playing with a "centre" line. No wonder things got messed up. Everyone was metrically disoriented.
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 06:11pm
Huck Finn

If we were to say there was contact, are some people suggesting that a player with his back to the offensive player is responsible for that player trying to run past him? Wouldn't this open up a can of worms since any player could simply run into a player that doesn't see him/her and get a foul called?
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
That's the problem. They were playing with a "centre" line. No wonder things got messed up. Everyone was metrically disoriented.
It's what happens when you refuse to play FIBA like everybody else