The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Defender stuck his foot where another player was trying to run.
Oh very nice.

Don't forget to bring your stopwatch next time you ref, so you can call 3 seconds.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 06:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
Oh very nice.

Don't forget to bring your stopwatch next time you ref, so you can call 3 seconds.

You would think that certain people have never seen a basketball game before.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 06:29pm
We don't rent pigs

So, if I understand it, the secondary defender is allowed to stick out his foot and trip a player, so long as he has his back to him.

Make it look like an accident.

"There's just one thing that bothers me."

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 06:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by refguy View Post
The other people must not be watching in high definition. I am not even sure it was accidental. He knew a cutter was coming through. Why would he stick his foot out at that instant? He wasn't moving to guard a player.
#2 was looking at and guarding against the throw-in pass. When the thrower looked to #2's left (for W15), #2 was stepping in that direction.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_School View Post
Whether it was a foul or not is argumentive.

Having the lead make that decision, as refguy advocates, is completely ridiculous.
Seen this type of "out of the primary" call by a Lead at a camp a year ago. The supervisor of the conference brought the crew together after the game.

Supervisor speaking to the Lead after the game: Why did you make that call out of your primary?

Official: Because it was a foul.

Supervisor: Do you trust your partners?

Official: Yes, but I thought they didn't have the best look at the play.

Supervisor: If you're looking out there, then who is officiating your primary area?

Official: (Silence)

Supervisor: If you're gonna make a call out there, you're telling me that you don't trust your partners. They should take their paychecks and go home because you're officiating their areas. That call you make out there better be a non-basketball play or a 1000% correct call. Let your partners live or die with that call or non-call; I'll deal with them if it needs to be addressed.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 06:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
So, if I understand it, the secondary defender is allowed to stick out his foot and trip a player, so long as he has his back to him.
No. That isn't allowed. It could even been adjudged "Intentional" or "Flagrant".
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 06:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

I looked at the play again (not the YouTube version).

I am still trying to figure out who stuck out their leg. MSU #1 stepped to the ball but his back was to the Kansas player. The MSU player trailing the Kansas player did not touch the Kansas player at all.

Either people did not see the video in higher definition or they are making up the facts as time gets further away from the game. The Kansas player clearly hit his own leg and fell down as a result. The player fell several steps away from MSU #1 and the Kansas player was more than a step away from where he fell and where any contact would have taken place. They showed the moment about 3 or 4 times.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I looked at the play again (not the YouTube version).

I am still trying to figure out who stuck out their leg. MSU #1 stepped to the ball but his back was to the Kansas player. The MSU player trailing the Kansas player did not touch the Kansas player at all.

Either people did not see the video in higher definition or they are making up the facts as time gets further away from the game. The Kansas player clearly hit his own leg and fell down as a result. The player fell several steps away from MSU #1 and the Kansas player was more than a step away from where he fell and where any contact would have taken place. They showed the moment about 3 or 4 times.
Still in your own little world.

You continue talk about MSU #1. That's the wrong guy.

Look at MSU #2. He's the player with the black knee brace on his left leg.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 07:06pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
Seen this type of "out of the primary" call by a Lead at a camp a year ago. The supervisor of the conference brought the crew together after the game.

Supervisor speaking to the Lead after the game: Why did you make that call out of your primary?

Official: Because it was a foul.

Supervisor: Do you trust your partners?

Official: Yes, but I thought they didn't have the best look at the play.

Supervisor: If you're looking out there, then who is officiating your primary area?

Official: (Silence)

Supervisor: If you're gonna make a call out there, you're telling me that you don't trust your partners. They should take their paychecks and go home because you're officiating their areas. That call you make out there better be a non-basketball play or a 1000% correct call. Let your partners live or die with that call or non-call; I'll deal with them if it needs to be addressed.
IMO, this whole attitude is taken just a bit too far. I prefer the saying "don't allow an elephant on the court just cause it's not in your primary."

Not saying this particular situation qualifies, but it is possible to work your primary and see something happening elsewhere that needs to be called.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Still in your own little world.

You continue talk about MSU #1. That's the wrong guy.

Look at MSU #2. He's the player with the black knee brace on his left leg.
Yep.

Done that.

Still nothin'.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 07:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

You are right about the wrong number, but he did not touch him. No one touched the Kansas player at all. Not when he jumped not when he got by the MSU player that was from behind. NO CONTACT AT ALL!!! Who in the heck could have stuck their leg out?

The Kansas player hit his right foot into his left leg and fell. And the fact that people are even trying to justify such a call is hilarious. That was the same thing I saw on my HD 1080i TV last night. And that was the case on the HD player the NCAA and CBS provides. No contact what so ever.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
IMO, this whole attitude is taken just a bit too far. I prefer the saying "don't allow an elephant on the court just cause it's not in your primary."

Not saying this particular situation qualifies, but it is possible to work your primary and see something happening elsewhere that needs to be called.
Agree, Rich....but this wasn't an elephant. Not even close.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agree, but....

Do you think that the lead should have made the call on the play that's being discussed?
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 07:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

That was an awful long ways away for something people cannot even agree on. Now the conversation might not have been that confrontational, but I bet something was mentioned about the Lead and where his partners were looking.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 28, 2009, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You are right about the wrong number, but he did not touch him. No one touched the Kansas player at all. Not when he jumped not when he got by the MSU player that was from behind. NO CONTACT AT ALL!!! Who in the heck could have stuck their leg out?

The Kansas player hit his right foot into his left leg and fell. And the fact that people are even trying to justify such a call is hilarious. That was the same thing I saw on my HD 1080i TV last night. And that was the case on the HD player the NCAA and CBS provides. No contact what so ever.

Peace
As I said, it may be argumentive if a foul actually occurred on this play. Fwiw though, I agree completely with your analysis above. I have watched the play numerous times, slo-mo and otherwise, and I still haven't see any contact by an opponent that would cause the player to trip.