The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Except that no one on AZ travelled with the ball. A1 missed the dunk, and A2 rebounded the ball and immediately dropped it. Shaw blew his whistle when the B1 had the ball and it was B1 who travelled but Team B ended up with the throw-in.

All in all not a big deal but the correct call was not made.

Agreed.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The BI was not for the hand being in contact with the ball/basket in the process of the dunk. It would be for, after he released the rim, grabbing the bottom of the net while the ball was in the basket (which is what caused it to pop out)....
Granted we're talking YouTube quality here, but go watch the real-time speed of the dunk at the beginning of the clip, and tell me you, or any of the 3 officials, could have honestly seen him grabbing the net so that you would unequivocally make that call. I think it's borderline at best even when I watch it in slo-mo, never mind when it's happening live.

As for my .02 on the ruling: correct that the basket doesn't count (for not completely passing through the basket), but wrong player called for travel.

One other thing I noticed was that it appears to me A1 (the dunker) possibly was pushed by the B1 defender running down the court just as he went up for the failed dunk. L didn't appear to have the angle to see any contact on A1's back (wasn't his primary anyway so he'd probably pass unless he was 110% sure), but the C was running down court and in relatively good position that he could've seen it. The contact wasn't severe, but probably enough that I would've called it. The real-time portion almost makes the contact look intentional, but the slo-mo replay shows B1 swatting at the ball with his right hand and kind of bracing himself against A1 with his left.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ref View Post
Granted we're talking YouTube quality here, but go watch the real-time speed of the dunk at the beginning of the clip, and tell me you, or any of the 3 officials, could have honestly seen him grabbing the net so that you would unequivocally make that call. I think it's borderline at best even when I watch it in slo-mo, never mind when it's happening live.
Can't disagree with that...very hard to see....but it was what really happened.