The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Jump or Time out

Ive often wondered - and I'm sure this is a thread for a coaching board, but I was thinking...

Statistically, for a team, what is better in a loose ball sitch when one team is able to grab the ball in a scrum.....allow a tie up or call time out to retain the ball.

Watching X / Port and they went timeout on a tie up in the first half. I was thinking, in a close game, every time out matters.

Obviously timing is everything.

So there you go all you coach wannabees......discuss
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks View Post
Ive often wondered - and I'm sure this is a thread for a coaching board, but I was thinking...

Statistically, for a team, what is better in a loose ball sitch when one team is able to grab the ball in a scrum.....allow a tie up or call time out to retain the ball.

Watching X / Port and they went timeout on a tie up in the first half. I was thinking, in a close game, every time out matters.

Obviously timing is everything.

So there you go all you coach wannabees......discuss
This doesn't directly answer your question but in the mind of a coach, possession is everything. That's why we see every effort taken to keep it be it a tie up is eminent, getting close to a 10/5 sec violation, falling out of bounds, etc.

Having said that, TO's are gold late in a tight game, especially when behind. I have seen well coached teams late in a close game that will know which way the arrow is pointing and will not burn a TO when the arrow is in their favor.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 12:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I would think the final decision would be based on the situation; how many timeouts are remaining, how many possessions will likely be left in the game. I doubt a coach would want to use his last timeout this way, unless there was very little time left and the game is within 2 points.