The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Team A and B line up to start the game prior to the tip off. Team A coach asks for a time out. Can it be granted? Is it in the National Federation rule book?

Thanks in advance!
Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John Schaefferkoetter
Team A and B line up to start the game prior to the tip off. Team A coach asks for a time out. Can it be granted?
No.

Quote:
Is it in the National Federation rule book?
Yes.
Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

not allowed as per rule 5-12-4: "a timeout shall not be granted unil after the ball has become live to start the game"
Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

I had this conversation with a partner this year. Basically, the only 2 times you cannot grant a timeout is before the ball becomes live at the beginning of the game, and before any extra period has begun. I'm correct on this?
Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

I believe you can grant a time out before an extra period starts, if it was one of your original 5, and it isn't a succesive time out. You can't use the extra time out given as a result of the extra period until, I believe, the ball has become live, and if I remember correctly, time has run off the clock. HELP on this one, please.
Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

the other exceptions that I can think of would be if there is no team control (loose ball) and after a player has fouled out. They must be replaced before timeouts can be granted to either team.
Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
I believe you can grant a time out before an extra period starts, if it was one of your original 5, and it isn't a succesive time out. You can't use the extra time out given as a result of the extra period until, I believe, the ball has become live, and if I remember correctly, time has run off the clock. HELP on this one, please.
Just remember, a coach can still call a timeout if he doesn't have one of his 5, it would just be a technical foul.
Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
If I remember correctly, a time out before an extra period cannot be successive (no books at work, I need to get them out of the bag now that my season is over). So what we're saying is the only time that a single time out can not be taken is before a jump ball to begin the game.