The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 12, 2009, 02:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up Co-ed b-ball

Our local kids rec league is winding down for the season. Two more weekends to go. This coming Saturday morning I have two HS JV level games. We have a JV and a V program and the JV program is co-ed. We have eight JV teams, each with two girls on them. When we had registration at the beginning of the season, we hoped to have enough HS girls sign up to have a girls program, but only 16 girls signed up. We went to our JV teams and asked the coaches and the boys how they would feel about playing co-ed. They were all for it, although I think the boys thought they were going to get to share locker rooms.

Earlier this season, in one game, a boy went up for a jump shot and one of the girls on the other team had a clean block. For the rest of the game, his teammates would occasionally say to him in a "chanting" manner - "You got blocked by a guuurrrrrrllllll". Even the girls thought it was funny.

The nice thing is that the season turned out just fine. There's no problems with the boys being too physical or anything like that. They respect the girls and the games are fun to officiate. In fact, there's a situation with a boyfriend and girlfriend on opposing teams. They like to tease each other during play (and maybe on dates, too - I dunno).

Here's the really funny part, especially to someone my age. We've had a higher percentage of boys than girls needing to be told to remove their earrings.

This is the first year this happened and I'm looking forward to next season. Of course, we may have enough HS girls sign up to have a separate program (our 7/8 grade girls program is very solid) but if not, co-ed is just fine.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
. In fact, there's a situation with a boyfriend and girlfriend on opposing teams. They like to tease each other during play (and maybe on dates, too - I dunno).
you weren't reffing the dates, too??
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here's the really funny part, especially to someone my age. We've had a higher percentage of boys than girls needing to be told to remove their earrings.
I actually had to have the captain of a BV team remove his tongue stud at a game earlier this year. It was less funny and more creepy to me!
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 11:07am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
you weren't reffing the dates, too??
Yes - and if we ever needed to have "over the back" and "reaching in" fouls, that was the time.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 11:09am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMOzebra View Post
I actually had to have the captain of a BV team remove his tongue stud at a game earlier this year. It was less funny and more creepy to me!
Last year, I had a 7th grade boy ask me before a game if he had to remove his nipple ring. It took a moment for that to set in, then I told him yes. He told his coach he had to go to the restroom and he would be back in a few minutes.

My partner, who heard the entire conversation, asked me how I'd like to be that kid's dad. I said, "Uhhhhhh, no".
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 11:28am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Last year, I had a 7th grade boy ask me before a game if he had to remove his nipple ring. It took a moment for that to set in, then I told him yes. He told his coach he had to go to the restroom and he would be back in a few minutes.

My partner, who heard the entire conversation, asked me how I'd like to be that kid's dad. I said, "Uhhhhhh, no".
Be glad he only asked about a nipple ring. I hope the day don't come when they ask about the *ahem* piercing in the *ahem* privates!
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 11:51am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Be glad he only asked about a nipple ring. I hope the day don't come when they ask about the *ahem* piercing in the *ahem* privates!
Do you check for that before each game?
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 12:17pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Do you check for that before each game?
No, but I've had a player ask me. His words: "Sir, I know we're not supposed to have jewelry on our ears and tongues, but do I need to remove the one I have on my crotch?" Partner and I looked at each other, not sure how we were supposed to answer that.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 12:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
No, but I've had a player ask me. His words: "Sir, I know we're not supposed to have jewelry on our ears and tongues, but do I need to remove the one I have on my crotch?" Partner and I looked at each other, not sure how we were supposed to answer that.
Did you ask him if it was the same primary color of his uniform?
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 01:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
"Yes, but just so we're clear; I will NOT be checking."
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 01:24pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Two options:

1. "If I don't see it, it ain't a problem, and I definitely ain't gonna look."

2. Put your hands over your ears and start humming.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I was prepared to go with this option on the tongue stud, but since it was the "speaking captain" and it could clearly be seen when he spoke, I informed the coach it had to come out. Supposedly, the coach didn't even realize the kid's tongue was pierced!
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Two options:

2. Put your hands over your ears and start humming.
I know you're joking, but the correct answer is that the rules prohibit jewelry. It's a safety issue, and as uncomfortable as the situation might be I'm going to give a straight answer.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 06:18pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
"Yes, but just so we're clear; I will NOT be checking."
And do not remove it in the confines of the gym
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 02:48pm
Ref Ump Welsch

I did tell the kid he needed to remove it, and my partner looked like he was going to have a heart attack that I even answered (of course, he was a noobie). The kid ran over to his coach, told him he had to make a pit stop, and would be back. The coach looked at me bewildered, so I went over and told him what was going on. Coach looked like he was going to have a heart attack too. Boy came out of the locker room and said, problem solved, I'm wearing a cup. I almost had to laugh. Now I'm sure you all are going to say a cup is illegal...I checked with our state association. They said three things about this sitch: 1) Cup is ok...we don't go there! 2) Pierced pubes are ok...we don't go there! 3) Stupid teenagers are ok...we don't really want to go there because they're stupid enough already!