The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Out of bounds rules clarification

I have a question about a situation that arose in a recent pickup game. Player A1 misses a layup that is contested but not blocked by player B1. Player A1 misses the layup but steps out of bounds before recovering to rebound and hit the second attempt. I was always under the impression that if you were the last person to touch the ball and you went out of bounds, you could not be the first to touch the ball once establishing yourself back inbounds, but the opposing players argued that this provision did not apply if the player in question attempted a shot. I have scanned rule books but could not find anything relating to this particular situation, any insight anyone could provide is greatly appreciated.
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

If his momentum carries him OOB, he can come back and get the ball so long as he's established position inbounds.
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you're a disgruntled player. The official was correct in allowing A1 to be the first to regain possession. Doesn't need to be on a missed attempt either. If it's a loose ball, A1 can then come back inbounds and be the first to get the ball. Whether he/she can dribble again depends on if he/she already used it beforehand or not.
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 09:21pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dribble
Sounds like you're a disgruntled player. The official was correct in allowing A1 to be the first to regain possession. Doesn't need to be on a missed attempt either. If it's a loose ball, A1 can then come back inbounds and be the first to get the ball. Whether he/she can dribble again depends on if he/she already used it beforehand or not.
I get no sense of disgruntlement from this post. Maybe you should read it a little closer.
Where does he mention an official. Clearly states sitch is from a pick-up game and other players made the call.
Give you credit, though, for correct rules interp!!

Later
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

That's what I'm here for...making the right call...
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebjay20
I have a question about a situation that arose in a recent pickup game. Player A1 misses a layup that is contested but not blocked by player B1. Player A1 misses the layup but steps out of bounds before recovering to rebound and hit the second attempt. I was always under the impression that if you were the last person to touch the ball and you went out of bounds, you could not be the first to touch the ball once establishing yourself back inbounds, but the opposing players argued that this provision did not apply if the player in question attempted a shot. I have scanned rule books but could not find anything relating to this particular situation, any insight anyone could provide is greatly appreciated.
A rules myth, Joe. Your friends were correct, except that it doesn't even have to be a shot. You can save the ball from going OOB, go OOB, come back in and be the first to touch the ball. Examples:

7.1.1 SITUATION B: A1 blocks a pass near the end line. The ball falls to the floor inbounds, but A1, who is off balance, steps off the court. A1 returns inbounds, secures control of the ball and dribbles.

RULING: Legal. A1 did not leave the court voluntarily and did not have control of the ball when he/she did. This situation is similar to one in which A1 makes a try from under the basket and momentum carries A1 off the court. If the try is unsuccessful, A1 may come back onto the court and regain control since A1 did not leave the court voluntarily and did not have control of the ball when he/she did.

7.1.1 SITUATION C: A1 blocks a pass near the sideline and the ball goes into A1's front court. A1's momentum carries him/her out of bounds. He/she immediately returns inbounds, secures control of the ball, dribbles, shoots, and scores.

RULING: Legal. (4-35-1a; 7-1-2; 9-3)

7.1.1 SITUATION D: A1 jumps from inbounds to retrieve an errant pass near a boundary line. A1 catches the ball while in the air and tosses it back to the court. A1 lands out of bounds and (a) is the first to touch the ball after returning inbounds; (b) returns inbounds and immediately dribbles the ball; or (c) picks up the ball after returning to the court and then begins a dribble.

RULING: Legal in (a) and (b). Illegal in (c) as the controlled toss of the ball to the court by A1 constitutes the start of a dribble, dribbling a second time after picking up the ball is an illegal dribble violation.

Basketball is full of myths that fans, players, coaches, and unfortunately, some officials believe.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

I had a bitter experience with this rule several years ago. I was a newer official then and was working with someone who had reffed for over 25+ years. A1 loses the ball, goes OOB, but recovers and establishes himself inbounds again. I'm Lead and this play happens right in front of me. I obviously let it play on, but from Trail, my partner blows his whistle and shouts, "Can't be the first one to touch the ball after going out of bounds!"

I conference with him on that, but he's holding his ground. Who am I at that point to argue? Unfortunately, I knew his game was on the decline, but he was still on the exec of my association, so I wasn't going to get worked up over this one call.

Just goes to show you that even veteran officials believe that this myth is correct.
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Just goes to show you that even veteran officials believe that this myth is correct.
You might be suprised how many veteran and even highly capable officials you'll find that hang on to a myth or two. I've seen myths show up on all levels of games with officals of all experiences.
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 01:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've seen this call made by an otherwise good official. I didn't even bring it up to him; although I would have had I worked with him more often.
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I've seen this call made by an otherwise good official. I didn't even bring it up to him; although I would have had I worked with him more often.
Interesting point, because my initial understanding of the rule came from game situations. Consistently, officials would rule a play like this as a turnover, I assumed that this was the correct interpretation of the rule. As I grow to learn more about the rules of the game, I'm finding many situations where the rules aren't as I thought. Thanks to everyone for the information.
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had a bitter experience with this rule several years ago. I was a newer official then and was working with someone who had reffed for over 25+ years. A1 loses the ball, goes OOB, but recovers and establishes himself inbounds again. I'm Lead and this play happens right in front of me. I obviously let it play on, but from Trail, my partner blows his whistle and shouts, "Can't be the first one to touch the ball after going out of bounds!"

I conference with him on that, but he's holding his ground. Who am I at that point to argue? Unfortunately, I knew his game was on the decline, but he was still on the exec of my association, so I wasn't going to get worked up over this one call.

Was this during a dribble? Does this make a difference?
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Was this during a dribble? Does this make a difference?
4-15-6d "Out-of-bounds violation does not apply on the player involved in the interrupted dribble."
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 08:46am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
4-15-6d "Out-of-bounds violation does not apply on the player involved in the interrupted dribble."
I don't think JimGolf is talking about an interupted dribble, I think he means a play where A1 is dribbling near the side/base-line and steps OOB while not contacting the ball and then steps back in and continues to dribble. That is a violation.
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A1 loses the ball, goes OOB, but recovers and establishes himself inbounds again.
But Jimgolf referenced Dribble's post, which definitely qualifies as an interrupted dribble, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I think he means a play where A1 is dribbling near the side/base-line and steps OOB while not contacting the ball and then steps back in and continues to dribble. That is a violation.
I remembered this clearly from past reading of the rules, but could not locate it this morning? Can you post this rules reference?
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 09:51am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
I remembered this clearly from past reading of the rules, but could not locate it this morning? Can you post this rules reference?
JK, don't have NFHS book with me, but here is a reference from the NCAA rulebook, which oddly enough is found under Rule 10 Fouls and Penalties instead of Rule 9 Violations and Penalties.

Quote:
Art. 16. Deceptively leaving the playing court for an unauthorized reason and returning at a more advantageous position.

A.R. 7. A player steps out of bounds to avoid contact. RULING: This shall not be called an indirect technical foul unless the player leaves the playing court to deceive or gain a more advantageous position in some way. When the player is a dribbler, the ball shall be ruled out of bounds. When the player returns to the playing floor and is the first to touch the ball, a violation has occurred since he/she left the playing court under their own volition.