The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNCref View Post
Agreed, I also find this gem from the coach kind of funny.

Quote:
If a backboard is broken with a dunk in a game, Mount said there is a technical called, but it is not a forfeit. He wonders why there is a difference.

Well coach, maybe because dunking is legal during the game, but illegal during pregame? I'm going out on a limb here, but I think that could have something to do with it.
I know that several posters have criticized the coach in this case for definitely NOT knowing the rules. Is it possible that the coach was referring to a situation that is different than the one each of the posters is thinks he is?

I am thinking that the coach is referring to the fact that if a player dunks AND hangs on the rim in pregame, the player is assessed a technical foul. If a player dunks AND hangs on the rim during the GAME, the player is assessed a technical foul.

If the backboard shatters during PREGAME, the game is a forfeit. If the backboard shatters during the GAME, the game is rescheduled.

I don't know if that is what the coach really meant or not, but there are times when the writer misinterprets/improperly documents EXACTLY what the speaker intended (for those who have ever been interviewed for a story, perhaps you can understand).

Just a possibility in this case. Net: Be careful before you start throwing stones as you might not have all your facts correct.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

I was watching a game at Arkansas State a few years ago when a player from Western Kentucky shattered a backboard on a dunk.
It was unbelievable to see this in person, but the safety concerns were scary.
Several players were covered with glass, and fans several rows up in the endzone had glass on them as well. A couple of players were treated for minor cuts.

The incident in Montana could have been avoided if the officials had been on the court. During the playoffs here, we work a different crew each game. As soon as one game is complete, the next crew hits the floor.
Of course, if they worked the same crew in consecutive games, I can see where the crew would want to refresh a moment.

We have several school here that have seats in the end. I don't like them. Usually, the students sit there and give the opposing players and officials a headache.