The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Pregame dunk costs team playoff game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52209-pregame-dunk-costs-team-playoff-game.html)

BayStateRef Wed Mar 11, 2009 03:35pm

Pregame dunk costs team playoff game

Not what you may think. The back board shattered. State rule: you forfeit.

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=922635

JRutledge Wed Mar 11, 2009 03:46pm

Wow, that is kind of funny.

Shouldn't have dunked in the first place before the game. That simple.

Peace

NewNCref Wed Mar 11, 2009 03:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 587414)
Wow, that is kind of funny.

Shouldn't have dunked in the first place before the game. That simple.

Peace

Agreed, I also find this gem from the coach kind of funny.

Quote:

If a backboard is broken with a dunk in a game, Mount said there is a technical called, but it is not a forfeit. He wonders why there is a difference.
Well coach, maybe because dunking is legal during the game, but illegal during pregame? I'm going out on a limb here, but I think that could have something to do with it.

JRutledge Wed Mar 11, 2009 03:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewNCref (Post 587416)
Well coach, maybe because dunking is legal during the game, but illegal during pregame? I'm going out on a limb here, but I think that could have something to do with it.

Maybe the state of Montana should come in overrule this decision; you know you cannot have rules followed during the post season? :rolleyes:

Peace

grunewar Wed Mar 11, 2009 04:52pm

"Mount said he told his team no dunking in pregame warmups, but when he got to the tournament there were other teams dunking in pregame. He told his kids it was OK."

C'Mon, The kid is 5'11", they should cut him a break! Invoke the "Spud Webb Rule." ;)

canuckrefguy Wed Mar 11, 2009 04:56pm

Love how the coach is trying to deflect blame and tell his team it was an injustice or bad break that they just have to live with.

Good lesson, kiddies. Break the rules - pay the price - but blame everybody but yourselves.

I want that guy coaching my kids.

26 Year Gap Wed Mar 11, 2009 05:01pm

A double elimination tournament? First time I have heard of it in HS. Any other states have those?

dsqrddgd909 Wed Mar 11, 2009 05:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BayStateRef (Post 587411)

Rivals High - Pregame dunk costs team playoff game

Did anyone else notice the stands behind the backboard? Are those spectator bleachers behind the endline? I haven's seen may high schools like that.

26 Year Gap Wed Mar 11, 2009 05:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 587431)
Did anyone else notice the stands behind the backboard? Are those spectator bleachers behind the endline? I haven's seen may high schools like that.

My HS used to have them. They ended up making a storage area in that end of the gym. Enrollment was 1300 when I went there. Around 1000 now. And attendance at basketball games there is not anywhere near what it used to be.

JRutledge Wed Mar 11, 2009 05:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 587431)

I would not say most high schools have this, but I have seen quite a few. That is not uncommon in certain places at least in this state.

Peace

Loudwhistle Wed Mar 11, 2009 05:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 587429)
A double elimination tournament? First time I have heard of it in HS. Any other states have those?

Alaska had its first this year. Worked fine.

mutantducky Wed Mar 11, 2009 05:33pm

eh- they already lost so not too much sympathy. However, that is ridiculous that a backboard would break from someone that size. Kind of dangerous too. Maybe leagues need to start checking that out

Juulie Downs Wed Mar 11, 2009 05:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 587429)
A double elimination tournament? First
time I have heard of it in HS. Any other states have those?

Oregon has had double elimination for years.

Adam Wed Mar 11, 2009 06:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 587436)
I would not say most high schools have this, but I have seen quite a few. That is not uncommon in certain places at least in this state.

Peace

I remember a big school or two having that in Iowa. I haven't seen it in Colorado, though.

JugglingReferee Wed Mar 11, 2009 06:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BayStateRef (Post 587411)

Rivals High - Pregame dunk costs team playoff game

Tough life lesson: follow the rules, and don't be a lemming. :D Oh well. A billion chinese won't care tomorrow.