The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Hypothetical Question: Is this player oob, or inbounds?

Watching a game on TV today, and a sort of hypothetical situation occurred to me, which led to the question, does a player have to have touched the floor inbounds to be considered inbounds?

Here's the sitch:

A1 is inbounding the ball. She throws it toward A5 who is near the division line, but before it gets there, B1 jumps up in front of A5 and swats it back toward the endline. A1 instinctively jumps up (from oob) to catch the ball, realizes that she still has oob status, and so reaches out with one hand to touch A2's head. Does that touch give A1 inbounds status?
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 01:51am
Do not give a damn!!

No. Where does the rule say that touching someone gives you inbound status?

Peace
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 02:07am
We don't rent pigs

7-1-1: A player is out of bounds when he/she touches the floor, or any object other than a player/person, on or outside a boundary.

If touching a person who is out of bounds does not cause a player to be out of bounds, I would say the reverse is also true.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
7-1-1: A player is out of bounds when he/she touches the floor, or any object other than a player/person, on or outside a boundary.

If touching a person who is out of bounds does not cause a player to be out of bounds, I would say the reverse is also true.
In other words, a player touching another player is not the same as the player touching the floor at that other player's location.

Player location doesn't quite work the same as ball location.
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

It was a good question, Juulie, but the rule is very clear that an airborne player's location is determined by where that player last contacted the FLOOR or an extension of the floor. Other players or people are not considered extensions of the floor.

4-35-3 . . . The location of an airborne player with reference to the three factors
of Article 1 is the same as at the time such player was last in contact with the floor
or an extension of the floor, such as a bleacher.
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 11:32am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
It was a good question, Juulie, but the rule is very clear that an airborne player's location is determined by where that player last contacted the FLOOR or an extension of the floor. Other players or people are not considered extensions of the floor.
What if the player who was OOB jumped up and touched an official who was standing inbounds? Since a ball hitting an official is considered hitting the floor at the spot where the official is standing, would the same theory apply to a player touching an official? Would that player now be considered touching the floor inbounds?
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
What if the player who was OOB jumped up and touched an official who was standing inbounds? Since a ball hitting an official is considered hitting the floor at the spot where the official is standing, would the same theory apply to a player touching an official? Would that player now be considered touching the floor inbounds?
Quote:
Player location doesn't quite work the same as ball location.
Quote:
Other players or people are not considered extensions of the floor.
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I immediately thought of the same scenario. My initial response was, "why would an official be so close to the player that they would be able to do that?" I know . . . I probably don't want to know.