The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Question

I was watching my daughter's game (7th grade) and the opposing coach gets a T (didn't hear what she said, but she got one). There is no assistant coach, what would happen if she would have gotten a second T? I believe the rules say she must exit, would you then have to forfiet the game to the other team.

Related question. If it was the home team and no other coach was on the bench, would you allow one of the other coaches that may be present to take over? Would that not give the home team an advantage?

I'm thinking a coach would have to go way over my line in the sand before I give him/her a second T if he is the only coach present.

Your thoughts?
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Try to find a "team supervisor"

Larry,

The solution to your question that we give our young officials who run into this problem is to first see if there are any other adults associated with the team in question, be it parent or bus driver, who can sit on the bench and "supervise" the team.

If not, we approach the ejected coach and tell him/her that in order to not forfeit the game, the coach will be able to sit quietly in the bleachers and observe the conduct of the team, thereby "supervising" instead of coaching. The first time that the ejected coach interjects anything into the game, it is immediately ruled a forfeit.

Is this in any book? NO! However, especially at the lower levels, the kids need to play the game, and should not be penalized by the actions of the only adult with them.

I realize that many will not agree with this philosophy since the book says to remove the coach from the vicinity of the court, but then the kids are the losers.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Sounds reasonable. I would have never thought of letting the coach sit quietly in the stands. I just hated the idea of punishing the kids because their coach decided to be a jerk. Hopefully that will never come up. So far I have only been compelled to hand out one T to a coach. Most vent with one comment then settle down. I can hear a mumble occasionally when I go by, but I figure if I can't understand what he is saying and he basically keeps it to himself...mumble away. Just don't get louder.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

I had a situation a couple of years ago, that we tossed the coach, and he was the only coach. There is no way I will let an ejected coach stay in the building. I cant imagine a game not having another adult around (parent, teacher, somebody) that could sit (yes sit on the bench) and be with the team.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Post Find a school employee

A couple of years ago at our state workshop the clinician said that if a coach was ejected you needed to find a employee of the school to finish the game. If you can't the game is forfeited. Here, it is mandatory that the coach leave the playing facility or wait in the locker room for the game to end.

This only applies to high school, not city league or anything like that. A bus driver, janitor, teacher, secretary or anyone else that is readily available to coach will do. As long as they're employeed by the school. The reason being Liability. If you let some parent coach and somebody gets seriously injured, you're at fault. By getting a school employee you allow the game to continue and cover your own butt.