The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Question Interrupted Dribble - Out of Bounds

Rule 4-15 Art 6 d. indicates that O-O-B violation does not apply on the player involved in the interrupted dribble. Can this be incongruous with rule 9-3 Art 3 - A player shall not leave the floor for an unauthorized reason?

Here is the play: A-1 catches the ball in his frontcourt near the sideline opposite the table. Defender B-1 sets up in LGP. A-1 begins a dribble and does a spin move toward the sideline and momentarily loses the ball around B-1 - the ball never goes out of bounds. In the course of his spin move A-1 steps out of bounds to get around B-1. A-1 is the first to touch the ball after reestablishing in bounds status. Assume that B-1 maintained LGP throughout the play. Violation under 9-3 or OK under 4-15?
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Neither. If A1's dribble is interrupted, then the ball is not out of bounds when A1 is. And if A1 leaves the court due to a bump or a basketball play, then 9-3-3 does not apply. Play on.
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 04:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

How far did he go out of bounds? If he merely stepped on the line, it's nothing. If he goes 6 feet out of bounds to avoid the defense, you've got a violation. Official's judgment on everything in between.
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 04:39pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
How far did he go out of bounds? If he merely stepped on the line, it's nothing. If he goes 6 feet out of bounds to avoid the defense, you've got a violation. Official's judgment on everything in between.
I agree with Snaqs, unless Bob comes along and says something different.
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Unauthorized reason?

Rule 9
SECTION 3 OUT OF BOUNDS
ART. 1 . . . A player shall not cause the ball to go out of bounds.
ART. 2 . . . A player shall not leave the floor for an unauthorized reason.
NOTE: The dribbler has committed a violation if he/she steps on or outside a boundary, even though he/she is not touching the ball while he/she is out of bounds.
PENALTYSection 3) The ball is dead when the violation occurs and is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation. (See 6-7-9 Exception 4)

The interupted dribble would not apply in this instance and therefore once reestablished there would be no violation.
I do not see leaving the floor to avoid contact with an opponent, provided the player returns immediately in approximately the same area, as an unauthorized reason.
Going OOB at the 3 point line and returning on the other side of the lane could be a problem, leaving at the 28 ft line in the back court and returning somewhere near the baseline and being 6 ft OOB is a problem
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 04:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMrRef View Post
Rule 4-15 Art 6 d. indicates that O-O-B violation does not apply on the player involved in the interrupted dribble. Can this be incongruous with rule 9-3 Art 3 - A player shall not leave the floor for an unauthorized reason?

Here is the play: A-1 catches the ball in his frontcourt near the sideline opposite the table. Defender B-1 sets up in LGP. A-1 begins a dribble and does a spin move toward the sideline and momentarily loses the ball around B-1 - the ball never goes out of bounds. In the course of his spin move A-1 steps out of bounds to get around B-1. A-1 is the first to touch the ball after reestablishing in bounds status. Assume that B-1 maintained LGP throughout the play. Violation under 9-3 or OK under 4-15?
I just wanted to add that the part in red is irrelevant in NFHS rules.
Old Sat Mar 07, 2009, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Smile

[QUOTE=OHBBREF;586061]I do not see leaving the floor to avoid contact with an opponent, provided the player returns immediately in approximately the same area, as an unauthorized reason./QUOTE]

Wasn't this rule directed at just that situation: e.g, baseline screen - either the offensive or defensive player runs out of bounds TO AVOID CONTACT WITH AN OPPONENT. Isn't this the situation that led to the rule change?

I am not trying to split hairs here, just wondering if one section of the rules (unauthorized reason) would trump the preexisting rule of not o-o-b on an interrupted dribble, or if that point was even given consideration.

The actual play occurred in a PA district final game - official called nothing and the player in question banked home a 3 point attempt with 5 seconds on the clock to send the game into OT! (that team lost in OT, BTW) If you want to view the play go to the 2:55 minute mark of the following video:

2009 Basketball District 1 Championships Day 2 Highlights (2/28)

Note: it is probably a stretch to call the actual play an interrupted dribble, but it was in talking about this play that that scenario/question was born.
Old Sat Mar 07, 2009, 11:50am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I can't watch the play from this computer, but I'll repeat what I said before. If he's just stepping on the line, it's nothing. If he runs 6 feet outside the line, call it. Anywhere in between is judgment.

As for determining if it's an interrupted dribble or not; my rule of thumb is if it bounces more than once between contacts with the player's hand, it's probably interrupted.
Old Sat Mar 07, 2009, 02:41pm
Courageous When Prudent

[QUOTE=CallMeMrRef;586223]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
I do not see leaving the floor to avoid contact with an opponent, provided the player returns immediately in approximately the same area, as an unauthorized reason./QUOTE]

Wasn't this rule directed at just that situation: e.g, baseline screen - either the offensive or defensive player runs out of bounds TO AVOID CONTACT WITH AN OPPONENT. Isn't this the situation that led to the rule change?

I am not trying to split hairs here, just wondering if one section of the rules (unauthorized reason) would trump the preexisting rule of not o-o-b on an interrupted dribble, or if that point was even given consideration.

The actual play occurred in a PA district final game - official called nothing and the player in question banked home a 3 point attempt with 5 seconds on the clock to send the game into OT! (that team lost in OT, BTW) If you want to view the play go to the 2:55 minute mark of the following video:

2009 Basketball District 1 Championships Day 2 Highlights (2/28)

Note: it is probably a stretch to call the actual play an interrupted dribble, but it was in talking about this play that that scenario/question was born.
Based on the angle of this video and what I saw of the dribble I would say a violation. He left the court to get around the defender.
Old Sat Mar 07, 2009, 02:44pm
In Time Out

violation.