The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 02:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down Coach arrested again - and I reffed him in rec league!

Lincoln, bench the coach - Oregonian columnist John Canzano's columns and blog - The Oregonian - OregonLive.com
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

While I am certainly no JC fan, I rarely agree with what he says, I do think he is right here. 2 DUI arrests in 4 years says something, repeat offender.

Yes, I realize if they suspended him the kids would ultimately be punished but by allowing him to continue on as if nothing happened is worse. Maybe getting suspended/fired would wake him up to the reality that if he continues this pattern of behavior, something even worse will end up happening, like maybe killing one of his players in a traffic accident.

The message the school sent is we all need to follow the rules, unless you are about to enter the state playoffs then we'll wait until after the playoffs and see if any action needs to be taken.

What a joke!
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 04:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I love the quote at the bottom where some "Lincolnfan" says the crime was only a "mistameiner."
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

What's going on in the land of tree huggers, isn't this the second coach with headlines lately?
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
What's going on in the land of tree huggers, isn't this the second coach with headlines lately?
Yup, except one was arrested for, um, hugging something other than trees...
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 04:44pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckRef View Post
Yup, except one was arrested for, um, hugging something other than trees...
And it wasn't exactly hugging either!
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
And it wasn't exactly hugging either!
Unfortunately, that is true.

Having said that, I didn't know this person on much more than an artificial level. I officiated some of his teams games and even worked at (for the gym, not for him or Triple Threat) one of the private gyms where he held a lot of his clinics/coaching sessions. I have talked to him on multiple times and his knowledge of the game is second to none. That being said, NOTHING excuses what he did and if I were to ever see him again would never engage him in conversation.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

I would "recuse" myself from officiating his next game

Having suffered personal losses at the hands of a multi-time drunk driver, I KNOW I could not call a fair game.

Shame on Lincoln for even thinking this is acceptable. I am about to vomit on their court.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williebfree View Post
Having suffered personal losses at the hands of a multi-time drunk driver, I KNOW I could not call a fair game.

Shame on Lincoln for even thinking this is acceptable. I am about to vomit on their court.
That would punish the poor janitor! just puke on the coach's and principals shoes and then make them clean it up!
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckRef View Post
Unfortunately, that is true.

Having said that, I didn't know this person on much more than an artificial level. I officiated some of his teams games and even worked at (for the gym, not for him or Triple Threat) one of the private gyms where he held a lot of his clinics/coaching sessions. I have talked to him on multiple times and his knowledge of the game is second to none. That being said, NOTHING excuses what he did and if I were to ever see him again would never engage him in conversation.
A coach getting picked up for a DUI and "this person" as you call him are two completely different animals, to be sure. His knowledge of the game is indeed second to none, but in this case I'd rather settle for second, especially as regards my daughter. The parents who had any clue of what he was accused of and still put their girls into his reach ought to be tried in court, too. It's simply unbelievable.

PS "This Person" ended up at my high school, after his stint in the pokey. Even then, 14 and 15 year old girls knew what he was interested in. Sounds like he just never grew past it.

Last edited by Juulie Downs; Thu Feb 26, 2009 at 06:05pm.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

right or wrong?

I believe that this situation is being handled incorrectly -
However let us be realistic, how many coaches/players at the college/professional level have been arrested for similar misdemeanors and nothing has happened to their careers for a game or more
I live in Cincinnati for lord sake the Bengals are the poster team for professional drunks and criminally irresponsible players.
And until recently no one really raised any stink about it - and the owner just basically said screw your opinion to the fans and head coach and took back the biggest offender in the NFL (Chris Perry) next to PAC MAN Jones.
So apparently athletes and coaches are above the laws and social mores. It just keeps getting more prevalent and happening at younger levels every day.

But remember if it ever happened to an official you would be out on your ear so quickly it would make your head spin so it is not a fair world all we can do is cover our own little area of it and move on.