Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Arrested

Did we miss this? Whoa!

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/s...iremolest.html
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
I don't know about here. It was plastered all over eteamz, but the question was raised and supported by many as to where were these girls' parents? How does an umpire get alone with four different ball players and nobody notice.

Also, note that he was booked for "investigation" of commiting a lewd act. Aren't they supposed to investigate first, THEN arrest the individual? I haven't heard any follow-up on this even though it was two months ago.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I don't know about here. It was plastered all over eteamz, but the question was raised and supported by many as to where were these girls' parents? How does an umpire get alone with four different ball players and nobody notice.

Also, note that he was booked for "investigation" of commiting a lewd act. Aren't they supposed to investigate first, THEN arrest the individual? I haven't heard any follow-up on this even though it was two months ago.
Mike's right... Something seems a bit off here. I'm sure that many of us male umpires who have called girls' games have had the thought of, "gee, could something I do here get misinterpreted? Am I too close to the catcher?" I think it's most men's worst fear: being falsely accused of indecencies with a minor.

I'm not saying the guy's innocent, but something about this story just doesn't jive. Maybe a team lost and the girls wanted payback? A buddy of mine who coaches girls' HS lacrosse says that he's overheard girls on the team or near the field brag about having gotten older men in trouble, almost as a badge of honor...

No clue here.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

A bit more information.

http://www.santapaulatimes.com/news/...ring_game.html
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 04:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
WHILE umpiring a game?

WTF?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

One report I read at the time this was originally posted on the eteamz coach's board said he was the base umpire and was engaged in inappropriate behavior with one of the fielders.

I can't imagine this going on for the SEVERAL games alleged without a Dad marching out onto the field!!! (At least I would have when my daughter was playing!)
Old Fri Aug 10, 2007, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

http://www.thecamarilloacorn.com/new..._Page/001.html
Old Fri Aug 10, 2007, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Although the ASA requires all softball coaches to pass a nationwide background check, Monson said, umpires are not put through a similar screening process.
Great... $50 says our association fees are now going to include criminal background investigations.

If the story is true, this really is sad for all involved - ASA, the tourney, his crew, but most importantly, the girls.

Old Fri Aug 10, 2007, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

My local ASA group has required background checks for all umpires for many years.
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

From the last news article linked above:
Quote:
Although the ASA requires all softball coaches to pass a nationwide background check, Monson said, umpires are not put through a similar screening process.

"Background checks only catch people who have already been caught and convicted, and he has no record so that would not have made any impact on this case," Monson said.

Aside from a few moving violations, Turner's only conviction was in 1995 for drunk driving.
Typical feel-good-do-nothing response. Let's require tens of thousands of background checks even though it does nothing whatsoever to address the problem.

Taking the news reports at face value (that in itself is against all logic), this guy must have flipped a mental switch or something and gone off the edge. You don't just go from an admired individual to someone who would grope little girls in broad daylight in front of their parents and dozens of other onlookers. Very sad.
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

His court date was pushed back from yesterday to next Wednesday, 8/15/07

https://public.courts.ventura.org/pu...SONNUM=3420023
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Crawford said girls who played in a game the day before had come forward with similar accusations. She said Turner, umpiring behind home plate at the Saturday game, had also touched girls inappropriately.

Crawford said she learned Turner had been previously warned about inappropriate actions by the tournament's head umpire.

"Girls clearly complained about this man and the league knew about it, and this man should have never been on that field on Sunday," Crawford said.

Why was he still allowed to umpire? He should have been questioned, and/or arrested, after the first accusation.

Bob
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
How do you touch a player inappropriately while umpring a game and live to call the next inning? You would think that the first sign of impropriety there would have been dads coming out of the woodwork to kick his a$$. So what did he do? Personally, I just keep my hands off!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
How do you touch a player inappropriately while umpring a game and live to call the next inning? You would think that the first sign of impropriety there would have been dads coming out of the woodwork to kick his a$$. So what did he do? Personally, I just keep my hands off!
I agree. Inappropriate contact that was seen by others - and nothing was done immediately. That surprises me.
While I've had a time or two when there was contact with a catcher - I've followed that by saying something to the catcher before the next pitch and then to the coach between innings.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

All the more reason why when I'm PU and I do, eventually, get bumped by a catcher popping up before the pitch arrives, I make sure it's my elbow that makes contact and not an open palm. That way, there's less to misconstrue. Then again, I only call adult games and I don't call kids' games, so it's a slightly different situation.