The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 01:47pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

A volunteer assistant girls HS basketball coach (a 22 year old female) has been arrested and charged with sexually abusing a 15 year old girl and giving her marijuana. The coach was also a paid track coach last season, but her contract was not renewed. A pretrial conference is set for next week.

This coach helped with a local summer league for a few years and was fairly active in coaching local rec teams. I have worked games involving her teams from time to time.

Also - the girls head basketball coach at the school has been suspended by the school administration "pending an investigation". The school refused to say if the investigation was related in any way to the arrest of the assistant.

This is my local HS where all three of my kids went. My younger daughter had the head coach as a health teacher and I know him very well. It would be absolutely mind-blowing to me if he had even the slightest involvement in the other case. He is very well respected around here and had always seemed to me to be a great guy.

I guess we'll see what happens.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting, let's be patience as the Hurricane passes to see how much damage is done.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
A volunteer assistant girls HS basketball coach (a 22 year old female) has been arrested and charged with sexually abusing a 15 year old girl and giving her marijuana. The coach was also a paid track coach last season, but her contract was not renewed. A pretrial conference is set for next week.

This coach helped with a local summer league for a few years and was fairly active in coaching local rec teams. I have worked games involving her teams from time to time.

Also - the girls head basketball coach at the school has been suspended by the school administration "pending an investigation". The school refused to say if the investigation was related in any way to the arrest of the assistant.

This is my local HS where all three of my kids went. My younger daughter had the head coach as a health teacher and I know him very well. It would be absolutely mind-blowing to me if he had even the slightest involvement in the other case. He is very well respected around here and had always seemed to me to be a great guy.

I felt sick to my stomach when I saw this in the paper last week. I've always liked him. He's the only coach that actually followed through and looked in the books after the game, when he told me during the game that he wanted to see the fine print on a certain rule.

He was very helpful and encouraging when I was starting to have camps. Did a lot of work to make me successful.

He also took a certain amount of racial mis-treatment with dignity and aplomb -- came out looking a lot better than the stupid white women who were being snippy. I've respected him for that for years.

Was his suspension related to the other situation? I can't imagine. And if so, was he also suspended at his other sitch (name unmentioned) for the same reason?

If anything comes of this, I'll be shocked, but I guess what they say is true -- you just never know.

Mark, I'd also be interested in knowing who the young woman was. It had her name in the paper, but that didn't mean anything to me. Who did she coach? What does she look like?
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 04:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Was his suspension related to the other situation? I can't imagine. And if so, was he also suspended at his other sitch (name unmentioned) for the same reason?

If anything comes of this, I'll be shocked, but I guess what they say is true -- you just never know.

Mark, I'd also be interested in knowing who the young woman was. It had her name in the paper, but that didn't mean anything to me. Who did she coach? What does she look like?
First of all, yes - the other HS (a private school) where he was an assistant football coach also suspended him. They said it was only because of his suspension at his primary school and that they would just wait to see what happened there.

The only thing I can think of - and this is pure speculation - is that somehow he heard rumors of something going on and didn't act on it quickly enough. Knowing him as I do, I can't imagine he had any actual involvement.

As to who the young female coach is - other than referring you to an earlier story that had her picture in the paper - I don't know how else to describe her to you. I know she assisted on one of the summer league teams from that school, but I don't remember which one. It could have been V, JV or F. She looked very familiar to me, however. I think she may have played there a few years ago. Other than that, I don't know anything about her. I do know that she had nothing to do with the local rec league with which I am associated.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

First of all, yes - the other HS (a private school) where he was an assistant football coach also suspended him. They said it was only because of his suspension at his primary school and that they would just wait to see what happened there.

The only thing I can think of - and this is pure speculation - is that somehow he heard rumors of something going on and didn't act on it quickly enough. Knowing him as I do, I can't imagine he had any actual involvement.

As to who the young female coach is - other than referring you to an earlier story that had her picture in the paper - I don't know how else to describe her to you. I know she assisted on one of the summer league teams from that school, but I don't remember which one. It could have been V, JV or F. She looked very familiar to me, however. I think she may have played there a few years ago. Other than that, I don't know anything about her. I do know that she had nothing to do with the local rec league with which I am associated.
I never saw a photo, just an article last week in the middle of the Metro section of the Oregonian. Was there another article this week? I haven't seen today's paper.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 10:19am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:

I never saw a photo, just an article last week in the middle of the Metro section of the Oregonian. Was there another article this week? I haven't seen today's paper.
I think the photo was in The Times, which you don't get, living on the "wrong" side of town as you do.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Juulie,

Here's a url for the article from the Times:

http://www.tigardtimes.com/article/8499

A fellow BB & VB official that works at the WC Jail was at the arraignment - said it was very strange. Apparently the suspect in question doesn't believe she did anything wrong & is being considered a flight risk.

The investigation involving the head coach is being kept under a very tight lid - as it well should be until a determination is made - haven't seen anything at all.

Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
Juulie,

Here's a url for the article from the Times:

http://www.tigardtimes.com/article/8499

A fellow BB & VB official that works at the WC Jail was at the arraignment - said it was very strange. Apparently the suspect in question doesn't believe she did anything wrong & is being considered a flight risk.

The investigation involving the head coach is being kept under a very tight lid - as it well should be until a determination is made - haven't seen anything at all.

What was strange about it? I guess I should ask the person to whom you're referring? Is it who I think it is?
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 03:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What was strange about it? I guess I should ask the person to whom you're referring? Is it who I think it is?
JP will probably be at the meeting Monday.....
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:

There seems to be a lot of that going on now, not to mention missing young college girls. What is the world coming too?