Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Minor league coach killed by line drive

I'm sure some of you have already seen this:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,290335,00.html
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 03:47pm
rei

With a wood bat!

Makes a great case for converting ALL leagues and levels to wood bat. If they were batting metal, this probably would have decapitated him!
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

I've worked in parks when in the middle, it is hard as hell to see the ball coming off the bat. I would bet we all have been chased by those screaming foul balls that keep hooking right for you no matter where you go! When a simple step toward fair ground is all that is needed to avoid it. I can only imagine that he was somewhat distracted upon contact. I feel for his wife and kids.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

One day I was coaching 1B for a 13u travel team when one of big boys ripped one off my shoulder. There was no way I could move in time. Part of the problem was I was down the line and a step out of the box (closest to the plate). Another reason to make sure coaches stay in their boxes!
On another board, a poster brought up the thought that youth leagues may start required coaches to wear helmets when on the field. Interesting thought, especially in the lower levels when you are so close to the plate.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelcoach
On another board, a poster brought up the thought that youth leagues may start required coaches to wear helmets when on the field. Interesting thought, especially in the lower levels when you are so close to the plate.
If they were hitting the ball as hard as the big boys, that might make sense. But thats why they play on small fields.

Sounds silly to me.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 09:32pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue
I've worked in parks when in the middle, it is hard as hell to see the ball coming off the bat. I would bet we all have been chased by those screaming foul balls that keep hooking right for you no matter where you go!
On this Forum? Noooo, ask around, there are umpires who have 30+ years and never, ever been hit. Oh, maybe once when the moon pulled the ball into their paths overcoming their superathleticism.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 09:33pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelcoach
One day I was coaching 1B for a 13u travel team when one of big boys ripped one off my shoulder. There was no way I could move in time. Part of the problem was I was down the line and a step out of the box (closest to the plate). Another reason to make sure coaches stay in their boxes!
They make the players when they coach base. Young life loss is more tragic? Maybe. Any life loss is not?
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
They make the players when they coach base. Young life loss is more tragic? Maybe. Any life loss is not?
Adults are allowed to wear helmets.

The difference isn't the "value" of the life; it's that adults are (generally) considered able to make their own choice while children need to be "forced" to protect themselves.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 09:00pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I really don't see how this could happened...I've had screamers and I mean screamers hit at me and the ball has never come close (yes, probably lucky)...but I still don't understand how...except for some random fluke of a hop how an umpire other that PU should ever get hit by a batted ball. Sad, sad story about the Rockies coach...probably wasn't paying attention or something like that...what a tragedy!
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
I really don't see how this could happened...I've had screamers and I mean screamers hit at me and the ball has never come close (yes, probably lucky)...but I still don't understand how...except for some random fluke of a hop how an umpire other that PU should ever get hit by a batted ball. Sad, sad story about the Rockies coach...probably wasn't paying attention or something like that...what a tragedy!
I agree. I expect he was not paying attention to the ball at the time. It's the only explanation for how a former major league player could get hit by a batted ball.
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins

The difference isn't the "value" of the life; it's that adults are (generally) considered able to make their own choice while children need to be "forced" to protect themselves.
Bob, I've always recognized you as a paradigm of interpretive charity: you always seem to impute the best possible interpretation on the posters in the forum.

You must be approaching your limit with some of these clowns, huh? It's too bad that moderators can't use the ignore list and still do their jobs!
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

This is really sad. I had classes with Scott at UT, and I know they were close.
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Bob, I've always recognized you as a paradigm of interpretive charity:
I'm sure the word you were looking for was "paragon", not paradigm.
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm sure the word you were looking for was "paragon", not paradigm.
I think I'm OK with 'paradigm', though you might be a paragon as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary
paradigm: an example serving as a model; pattern.
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 10:25pm
In Time Out

Quote:

I agree. The ultimate test whether adults will be required to wear helmets will be liability.

Insurance dictates.