The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 03:05am
Official Forum Member

Shoe shine

What's the best shoe polish to bring out the “oh so beautiful” shine on the ole court shoes? Yea, yea, yea - patent leather......I'm still old school and don't wanna get rid of my recently purchased leather Nikes. I've been using "Shape Up" but it cracks and the shoes look kinda old now. Anyone used "Leather Luster"?
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 06:28am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Many use Leather Luster. Go to the bottom of this page and read many previous "Similar Threads" on the subject for product and application information.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 09:26am
Courageous When Prudent

Take it from a military man, Kiwi.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Agreed. I use to apply Leather Luster to my baseball plate shoes. It takes about a week to do it right. (Scrub shoes with included cleaner. Apply one coat, let dry. Rub with steel wool. Repeat two more times!)
I admit I like the look until it begins to crack.

Then I found that the Kiwi Premier Shine looks almost as good with a lot less hassle.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 12:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Many use Leather Luster. Go to the bottom of this page and read many previous "Similar Threads" on the subject for product and application information.
Or you could look at the top at the ads.

BTW, I agree with the others. Kiwi, that's what I use on my boots (waiting for the new uniform with no-shine boots.)

Of course, I have patent leathers for officiating, so take it for what it's worth.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 12:48pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
BTW, I agree with the others. Kiwi, that's what I use on my boots (waiting for the new uniform with no-shine boots.)
I didn't stick around long enough to enjoy the "no-shine boots."
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
My Gawd..I've been on this site for a couple of years and never noticed the similar thread option below I could have saved alot of time.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 01:26pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
My Gawd..I've been on this site for a couple of years and never noticed the similar thread option below I could have saved alot of time.
Yep! But, the "Similar Threads at the bottom only come up after you submit or initiate a post. If you want to find some answers prior to submitting a new thread, use the Search option at the top of the page.

Last edited by grunewar; Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 01:30pm.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Flint MI airport

This may sound a little crazy!

Before I made the change to patent leather for basketball, I used to use this guy at the Flint, MI airport for my basketball shoes. I used to fly through there on business in a previous career and another ref friend told me about him.

You can ship the shoes to him and he will shine them with his own concoction of fufu dust and magic. They look unbelievable for the entire season. They do not scuff easily, they shine like no tomorrow. Supposedly what he uses is patented, at least that is his claim.

I have not used him for several years and could not find his card. Maybe someone on here knows.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 01:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
This may sound a little crazy!

Before I made the change to patent leather for basketball, I used to use this guy at the Flint, MI airport for my basketball shoes. I used to fly through there on business in a previous career and another ref friend told me about him.

You can ship the shoes to him and he will shine them with his own concoction of fufu dust and magic. They look unbelievable for the entire season. They do not scuff easily, they shine like no tomorrow. Supposedly what he uses is patented, at least that is his claim.

I have not used him for several years and could not find his card. Maybe someone on here knows.
Shoe Shine

"It's the best shine this side of the Mason Dixon Line!" People actually box up and ship their shoes from around the country to Joe's Shoe Shine inside Bishop International Airport. His stand is located just up the land-side escalator to the right. Shoe shine hours vary seasonally and Joe is in on weekdays only.

His hours are:
Monday:
10:00am-4:00pm

Tuesday, Thursday:
10:00am-5:00pm

Wednesday:
10:00am-2:00pm
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 11:01pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

BadNewsRef:

You just gave me a great idea. Since MTD, Jr., is an Air Force ROTC Scholarship Cadet, I am going to have him start spit-shining our officiating shoes along with his Air Force shoes.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 11:10pm
#thereferee99

You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
The software driving this site is simply fantastic, and obviously one of the strength of the site is the search function. Crafting the language of the search is the tricky part. Fortunately, there is some algorithm driven action at the bottom of the page, (and now at the top ).

Yesterday, trying to find 'history' on two players jumping, firmly grabbing the ball, the stronger of the two pulls the ball down, other won't let go, you have a classic 'reach around' position (sorry kids). I couldn't find the right combination of words to bring up what I needed, but 97.5% of the time, the answers are here!