Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 17, 2001, 03:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Question

My fellow officials,
I was wondering what you all have found to give the shiniest appearance to your referee shoes. I was using the Amway shoe spray, but they no longer make it, and my local amway distributer says that he can no longer get it either. I know some sprays crack shoes, but that's okay, cuz I get a new pair every year anyway. Thanks

Jeremy Hohn
Old Sat Mar 17, 2001, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Hohn
My fellow officials,
I was wondering what you all have found to give the shiniest appearance to your referee shoes. I was using the Amway shoe spray, but they no longer make it, and my local amway distributer says that he can no longer get it either. I know some sprays crack shoes, but that's okay, cuz I get a new pair every year anyway. Thanks

Jeremy Hohn
Before the season started, I took all my officiating shoes to the shoe repair guy. He was running a special for a .99 shine. Put down a great base coat.

Then I got some URAD shoe cream. Once a week, less than 5 minutes (total) to wipe some on each shoe -- it takes very little, I think I have about a 5 year supply. No buffing needed when it's applied. Just a quick wipe with a soft cloth after each game to rub out some of the blemishes.

Old Sat Mar 17, 2001, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
I am a big promoter of Leather Luster. There is zero maintenance after it is applied. No wax , spray or buff even comes close to the gloss it puts on your shoes.

Check out http://www.leatherluster.com

When this stuff is applied correctly, prepare for a ton of compliments...

I've done several items, so if you need special instructions or tips, just e-mail me at [email protected]

[Edited by BigDave on Mar 17th, 2001 at 12:05 PM]
Old Sat Mar 17, 2001, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

I use Honor Guard by Kwik

AK ref SE
Old Sat Mar 17, 2001, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I've been using griffin self-shining liquid. One or two coats and no buffing. It looks good so far.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2001, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up never shine again

I bought the new Converse in patent leather. They felt great and I was asked about them at just about every game this year. I sure don't miss shining and polishing shoes.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2001, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

I just got a product from Wal-Mart last night called Instant Shine. It's easy to use. All you do is take off the lid and rub down the shoe with a 4 inch wide pad. It took 30 seconds per shoe and gave a great shine. Perfect to carry in your bag and use just before you take the floor. The sticker says it's good for 100 shines.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2001, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDave
I am a big promoter of Leather Luster. There is zero maintenance after it is applied. No wax , spray or buff even comes close to the gloss it puts on your shoes.

I've done several items, so if you need special instructions or tips, just e-mail me at [email protected]

You can get Leather Luster through the National Federation. I just bought a kit for $9.99 and it is amazing how glossy my shoes look. I can almost see my face in them. My shoes have never looked so good! I'd recommend getting Leather Luster (but be sure to follow the instructions COMPLETELY!)
Old Mon Mar 19, 2001, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
Quote:

You can get Leather Luster through the National Federation. I just bought a kit for $9.99 and it is amazing how glossy my shoes look. I can almost see my face in them. My shoes have never looked so good! I'd recommend getting Leather Luster (but be sure to follow the instructions COMPLETELY!)

SHOULD YOU DECIDE FOR LEATHER LUSTER GET IT FROM LEATHERLUSTER>COM. IT'S CHEAPER! (And yes, I do mean to yell because I spent too much money on this from the Nat Fed!) Only a 4oz can for 9.95!
Old Mon Mar 19, 2001, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Last try at this . . . . . . :)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

SHOULD YOU DECIDE FOR LEATHER LUSTER GET IT FROM LEATHERLUSTER>COM. IT'S CHEAPER! (And yes, I do mean to yell because I spent too much money on this from the Nat Fed!) Only a 4oz can for 9.95!
Now I feel really dumb. It is cheaper to order this from the National Federation. They sell the same kit that you get from http://www.leatherluster.com for $9.95 where Leatherluster charges $11.00. Sorry for causing confusion on this.

Thanks!
Old Mon Mar 19, 2001, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

OK...let me show my ignorance here. I've often seen shoes that look like they belong in the military. Although mine are clean, they don't shine. Now what I'm wondering is if they're a different type of shoe. I have a regular black shoe (looks like regular 'ol black tennis shoe material) that's made by New Balance. They certainly appear 'clean', just not shiny. Is there a certain shoe with a different type of material that make's 'em shine so much, or will all these different solutions being discussed work the same wonders for my regular $40 shoe?
Old Mon Mar 19, 2001, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

MikeSears - What do you mean by COMPLETELY ??? I bought my kit the other day, and looked over the instructions last night. The one thing I noticed was IN A WELL VENTIALTED AREA. That prohibitted me from doing it in my basement (afraid of blowing up when the heater would kick off).
What else do I have to look out for ???
Old Mon Mar 19, 2001, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Dan - I have seen the leather luster on the new balances, it looks great.

DrC. - I have not used it yet but I guess you really, really need to work the cleaner part of the process to remove all ofthe dirt, dye, wax, or other junk on the shoe. Until the rag stops drawing black you're not ready. Also I heard you need to dry them in direct sunlight. This is why I am waiting until summer to do mine.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2001, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DrC.
MikeSears - What do you mean by COMPLETELY ??? I bought my kit the other day, and looked over the instructions last night. The one thing I noticed was IN A WELL VENTIALTED AREA. That prohibitted me from doing it in my basement (afraid of blowing up when the heater would kick off).
What else do I have to look out for ???
You must make sure that the previous coat of LeatherLuster is dry before applying the next coat. Can't be impatient (like me) and try to hurry things along
Old Mon Mar 19, 2001, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Another Vote for LeatherLuster

I saw someone advocate LeatherLuster on this board back in November. Ordered the stuff and applied it in early December on both pairs of shoes I use for officiating. The original coat is still going strong on each pair. Dynamite stuff...highly recommended. Beats the heck out of ordinary shoe polish with all the elbow grease.