The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 12:35am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Question NFHS: Excessively swinging elbows

Had it tonight, worried that I enforced incorrectly. Want to know if I got it right and if not what is right so I don't screw it up again.

Player with ball excessively swings his elbows making contact to the face of the defender. I immediately blow whistle and call a flagrant personal and eject.

I'm second guessing myself, but did I get it right?
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 12:39am
Courageous When Prudent

What part are you second guessing? You were there, you saw the play. What other option do you wish you had taken?
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 12:39am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl View Post
Had it tonight, worried that I enforced incorrectly. Want to know if I got it right and if not what is right so I don't screw it up again.

Player with ball excessively swings his elbows making contact to the face of the defender. I immediately blow whistle and call a flagrant personal and eject.

I'm second guessing myself, but did I get it right?
Depends. What made the foul flagrant?
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 12:42am
I drank what?

The force was enough to knock the kid to the floor. That was why I went with flagrant. But I was thinking I remembered that you would call a T for ES with contact.

Sounds like you guys agree with the way I handled it. It's the first one I've had to call so I just wanted to reassure myself, especially since it is going to cost the kid a game and it is just about playoff time here in CA.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 12:44am
I drank what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
What part are you second guessing? You were there, you saw the play. What other option do you wish you had taken?

Just my enforcement. No doubt I had something, just can't find it in the rule book where it says anything about contact, 9-13 just mentions a violation without contact.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 12:48am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
But I was thinking I remembered that you would call a T for ES with contact.
It is possible you are remembering the way the rule used to be? It was a T for excessive elbows with no contact. Officials were said to be hesitant to make this call, so it was changed to a violation.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 12:50am
I drank what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
It is possible you are remembering the way the rule used to be? It was a T for excessive elbows with no contact. Officials were said to be hesitant to make this call, so it was changed to a violation.
That is what I was thinking. I guess part of it was that my partner wasn't to sure either. I wanted to find out for sure and let him know since he is sending the EJ report as he was the R.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 04:07am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Quote:
That is what I was thinking. I guess part of it was that my partner wasn't to sure either. I wanted to find out for sure and let him know since he is sending the EJ report as he was the R.
So then with contact, your options are: PC foul, INT foul, flagrant foul.

It's a HTBT situation, and your judgment is why we get paid.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 06:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
So then with contact, your options are: PC foul, INT foul, flagrant foul.

W_Sohl, JugRef is correct and all three are PERSONAL fouls.

Now comes the difficult part: How exactly do you determine what level of foul to assess? You determined the that the foul qualified as flagrant and warranted an ejection. Perhaps that is the part which you are second guessing, so let's look at it.

4-19-4 . . . A flagrant foul may be a personal or technical foul of a violent or
savage nature
, or a technical noncontact foul which displays unacceptable
conduct. It may or may not be intentional. If personal, it involves, but is not
limited to violent contact such as: striking, kicking and kneeing.
If technical, it
involves dead-ball contact or noncontact at any time which is extreme or
persistent, vulgar or abusive conduct. Fighting is a flagrant act.

In your opinion, was the nature of the contact violent or savage? Was the player clearly trying to strike his opponent with his elbows in such a manner? If so, then you classified this foul correctly. If not, then you disqualified a player who didn't deserve it.

4-19-3 . . . An intentional foul is a personal or technical foul which neutralizes
an opponent's obvious advantageous position. Contact away from the ball or
when not making a legitimate attempt to play the ball or a player, specifically
designed to stop or keep the clock from starting, shall be intentional. Intentional
fouls may or may not be premeditated and are not based solely on the severity of
the act. A foul also shall be ruled intentional if while playing the ball a player
causes excessive contact with an opponent

In your opinion did the player with the ball cause "excessive contact with an opponent" by swinging his elbows, but not violent or savage contact? If so, then an intentional personal foul seems right.
This is frequently the right choice when a player swings wildly, but not deliberately or viciously and hits an opposing player. This category is the one to use when you believe that the level of contact was hard and at a level which was clearly more than a normal foul, but wasn't dirty or an attempt to injure.

The final category is covered by 4-19-2 and that is your normal "common" foul. In this case it would become a player control foul since the offender had the ball. This would be appropriate if you believe that the player illegally cleared the opponent out of his rightful space with his elbow. He extended his arms/elbows outside of the frame of his body and into the space of the opposing player and made enough contact to place that opponent at a disadvantage, but the level of the contact was not excessive, violent or savage. In other words, he turned and gave his opponent a knock, but not a clearly unacceptable whack or a deliberate shot.

This can be a difficult area to officiate properly. I hope that my summary helps you. I'm sure that others will chime in with their thoughts. Each person probably has a slightly different take on this and that is what makes it so hard. It is truly a judgment call. One just wants to make sure that if a player is DQ'd that it was well-deserved, and that the action truly warranted a flagrant.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Feb 18, 2009 at 06:11am.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Disagree: I don't get paid for his judgment.

I agree with Nevada. Didn't we have a thread outlining enforcement on this recently?
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 08:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
The force was enough to knock the kid to the floor. That was why I went with flagrant. But I was thinking I remembered that you would call a T for ES with contact.
A T would only be called on dead ball contact.

Excessive contact alone, as mentioned already, is typically an intentional foul unless it's especially violent/savage in nature.

HTBT. Send us some video.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 09:57am
I drank what?

I'm in the boat that it should have been an intentional foul and not a flagrant. I think I went immediately to the flagrant because of all the NCAA talk recently and I had that in the back of my mind. I was thinking there may be another option for me here (intentional) but couldn't remember it on the spot. Pretty sure in NCAA I would have beed dead on, I think in my NFHS game I probably should have gone intentional.

Thanks guys, this will be the first and last time I get this wrong.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm in the boat that it should have been an intentional foul and not a flagrant. I think I went immediately to the flagrant because of all the NCAA talk recently and I had that in the back of my mind. I was thinking there may be another option for me here (intentional) but couldn't remember it on the spot. Pretty sure in NCAA I would have beed dead on, I think in my NFHS game I probably should have gone intentional.

Thanks guys, this will be the first and last time I get this wrong.
That's what I gathered from your initial description.

Perhaps you should note this in your report. If you don't believe that the kid should have been kicked out of that game, then he probably shouldn't be forced to sit out the next contest either and with your stating such your state office may waive his suspension.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
W_Sohl, JugRef is correct and all three are PERSONAL fouls.

Now comes the difficult part: How exactly do you determine what level of foul to assess? You determined the that the foul qualified as flagrant and warranted an ejection. Perhaps that is the part which you are second guessing, so let's look at it.

4-19-4 . . . A flagrant foul may be a personal or technical foul of a violent or
savage nature
, or a technical noncontact foul which displays unacceptable
conduct. It may or may not be intentional. If personal, it involves, but is not
limited to violent contact such as: striking, kicking and kneeing.
If technical, it
involves dead-ball contact or noncontact at any time which is extreme or
persistent, vulgar or abusive conduct. Fighting is a flagrant act.

In your opinion, was the nature of the contact violent or savage? Was the player clearly trying to strike his opponent with his elbows in such a manner? If so, then you classified this foul correctly. If not, then you disqualified a player who didn't deserve it.

4-19-3 . . . An intentional foul is a personal or technical foul which neutralizes
an opponent's obvious advantageous position. Contact away from the ball or
when not making a legitimate attempt to play the ball or a player, specifically
designed to stop or keep the clock from starting, shall be intentional. Intentional
fouls may or may not be premeditated and are not based solely on the severity of
the act. A foul also shall be ruled intentional if while playing the ball a player
causes excessive contact with an opponent

In your opinion did the player with the ball cause "excessive contact with an opponent" by swinging his elbows, but not violent or savage contact? If so, then an intentional personal foul seems right.
This is frequently the right choice when a player swings wildly, but not deliberately or viciously and hits an opposing player. This category is the one to use when you believe that the level of contact was hard and at a level which was clearly more than a normal foul, but wasn't dirty or an attempt to injure.

The final category is covered by 4-19-2 and that is your normal "common" foul. In this case it would become a player control foul since the offender had the ball. This would be appropriate if you believe that the player illegally cleared the opponent out of his rightful space with his elbow. He extended his arms/elbows outside of the frame of his body and into the space of the opposing player and made enough contact to place that opponent at a disadvantage, but the level of the contact was not excessive, violent or savage. In other words, he turned and gave his opponent a knock, but not a clearly unacceptable whack or a deliberate shot.

This can be a difficult area to officiate properly. I hope that my summary helps you. I'm sure that others will chime in with their thoughts. Each person probably has a slightly different take on this and that is what makes it so hard. It is truly a judgment call. One just wants to make sure that if a player is DQ'd that it was well-deserved, and that the action truly warranted a flagrant.
Nevada, awesome job explaining the 3!
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 10:17am
I drank what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That's what I gathered from your initial description.

Perhaps you should note this in your report. If you don't believe that the kid should have been kicked out of that game, then he probably shouldn't be forced to sit out the next contest either and with your stating such your state office may waive his suspension.
I'll do that, I'm not writing the report, my R is, but I will contact him and let him know.