The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking View Post
"Live ball" Offensive player swings elbows and makes contact with defender.
These are all the situational fouls that I could think of, Am I missing any? Thanks

*Player cotrol foul: defensive teams ball, nearest spot.

*Intentional foul: defensive player that was fouled shoots two, defense gets ball POI

*Flagrent: ejection, defense shoots two with player of there choice, defense gets ball back at half court.
Hey, even some college officials have been struggling with this situation lately.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 09:36am
Administrator

Quote:
"Live ball" Offensive player swings elbows and makes contact with defender.
These are all the situational fouls that I could think of, Am I missing any? Thanks

*Player cotrol foul: defensive teams ball, nearest spot.

*Intentional foul: defensive player that was fouled shoots two, defense gets ball POI

*Flagrent: ejection, defense shoots two with player of there choice, defense gets ball back at half court.

RoadKing:

Assuming that the B1 (defensive player) has a legal postion of the court, there are three possible fouls that can be commited by A1 (offensive player) and all three fouls are personal fouls because the contact occured while the ball was live, therefore your penalities for the Intentional and Flagrant Fouls are not correct.

1) Common Foul: This is a player control foul by A1. Team B is awarded a designated spot throw-in nearest the location of the foul.

2) Intentional Foul: B1 is awarded two free-throws with no players occupying the lane spaces and then Team B is awarded a designated spot throw-in nearest the location of the foul.

3) Flagrant Foul: A1 is disqualified for the remainder of the game. B1 is awarded two free-throws with no players occupying the lane spaces and then Team B is awarded a designated spot throw-in nearest the location of the foul.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 09:38am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That and the fact that I was just about finished testing a new (to me) drink recipe.

Man, Bob, the hair-of-the-dog this early in the week. You must be getting old like me, .

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
RoadKing:

Assuming that the B1 (defensive player) has a legal postion of the court, there are three possible fouls that can be commited by A1 (offensive player) and all three fouls are personal fouls because the contact occured while the ball was live, therefore your penalities for the Intentional and Flagrant Fouls are not correct.

1) Common Foul: This is a player control foul by A1. Team B is awarded a designated spot throw-in nearest the location of the foul.

2) Intentional Foul: B1 is awarded two free-throws with no players occupying the lane spaces and then Team B is awarded a designated spot throw-in nearest the location of the foul.

3) Flagrant Foul: A1 is disqualified for the remainder of the game. B1 is awarded two free-throws with no players occupying the lane spaces and then Team B is awarded a designated spot throw-in nearest the location of the foul.

MTD, Sr.
Mark,
would you please give me the correct verbage of the Rule, I would assume during a live ball I need to add "personal foul" to my definitions of Flagrant and Intentional and also allow the defesive player that was fouled in both cases, shoot the free throw. thanks
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 06:13pm
Administrator

Quote:
Mark,
would you please give me the correct verbage of the Rule, I would assume during a live ball I need to add "personal foul" to my definitions of Flagrant and Intentional and also allow the defesive player that was fouled in both cases, shoot the free throw. thanks

RoadKing:

It is not a matter of correct verbage, but all contact fouls while the ball is live are personal fouls, not technical fouls. There is an exception to the live ball requirement for a contact foul to be a personal foul and that has to do with a foul committed against an airborne shooter and a foul by an airborne shooter; these fouls are personal fouls also.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio