The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What are my options? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51701-what-my-options.html)

roadking Mon Feb 16, 2009 05:13pm

What are my options?

"Live ball" Offensive player swings elbows and makes contact with defender.
These are all the situational fouls that I could think of, Am I missing any? Thanks

*Player cotrol foul: defensive teams ball, nearest spot.

*Intentional foul: defensive player that was fouled shoots two, defense gets ball POI

*Flagrent: ejection, defense shoots two with player of there choice, defense gets ball back at half court.

DonInKansas Mon Feb 16, 2009 05:21pm

Sounds like your choices with any foul. Why the difference with this one?

JugglingReferee Mon Feb 16, 2009 05:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadking (Post 580124)
These are all the situational fouls that I could think of, Am I missing any? Thanks

*Player cotrol foul: defensive teams ball, nearest spot.

*Intentional foul: defensive player that was fouled shoots two, defense gets ball POI

*Flagrent: ejection, defense shoots two with player of there choice, defense gets ball back at half court.

Nope - you've got them all. As with any live ball contact foul by the ball carrier...

M&M Guy Mon Feb 16, 2009 05:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 580129)
Nope - you've got them all. As with any live ball contact foul by the <font color=red>ball carrier</font color>...

Do you throw the yellow flag before signaling the foul?

referee99 Mon Feb 16, 2009 05:42pm

you use the phrase, "nearest spot"

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadking (Post 580124)

*Player control foul: defensive teams ball, nearest spot.

apply it to your 2nd and 3rd options:
Fed rules:
Player Control: Opponent awarded a throw-in at spot nearest the foul.
Intentional Foul: Opponent awarded two FTs with lane cleared, awarded a throw-in at spot nearest the foul.
Flagrant personal foul: Opponent awarded two FTs with lane cleared, awarded a throw-in at spot nearest the foul.

JugglingReferee Mon Feb 16, 2009 06:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 580132)
Do you throw the yellow flag before signaling the foul?

I started working both sports only 1 year apart. (Basketball came first.) Back in the day, I was guilty of marking forward progress when a dribbler stepped on a sideline, and another time I waived my arms to stop the clock. :o

M&M Guy Mon Feb 16, 2009 06:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 580146)
I started working both sports only 1 year apart. (Basketball came first.) Back in the day, I was guilty of marking forward progress when a dribbler stepped on a sideline, and another time I waived my arms to stop the clock. :o

A long, long time ago, I also did park district softball and basketball. During one basketball game in the fall, there was one long pass down the sideline that ended up OOB, so I called a foul ball and pointed foul. Iirc, no one batted an eye, as most of those players also played softball.

roadking Mon Feb 16, 2009 06:13pm

"Intentional Foul: Opponent awarded two FTs with lane cleared, awarded a throw-in at spot nearest the foul."

Trying to clear up a brain fart. On a intentional foul can anyone on the defensive team shoot the free throws?
Thanks

M&M Guy Mon Feb 16, 2009 06:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadking (Post 580150)
"Intentional Foul: Opponent awarded two FTs with lane cleared, awarded a throw-in at spot nearest the foul."

Trying to clear up a brain fart. On a intentional foul can anyone on the defensive team shoot the free throws?
Thanks

Nope, it has to be the player who was fouled (or their replacement).

referee99 Mon Feb 16, 2009 06:20pm

Quote:

Thanks

Intentional, also for the Flagrant Personal foul.
Both have FTs awarded to the player who was fouled.

It helps me to remember that these are personal fouls, just like any personal foul.

If it was a hold or a block, where would the ball come in? Spot nearest the foul.
Who would shoot if in the bonus or while shooting? The player who was fouled.

All are in the same category, just an extra penalty for intentional and flagrant.

bob jenkins Mon Feb 16, 2009 06:57pm

Quote:

Thanks

Not enough information to answer.

On an Intentional Personal foul, the player who was fouled must shoot (unless injured, etc.)

On an Intentional Technical foul, any eligible team member may shoot.

Adam Mon Feb 16, 2009 08:56pm

I thought shots for a flagrant personal had to be shot by the fouled player, but I can't find it.

mbyron Tue Feb 17, 2009 07:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 580181)
I thought shots for a flagrant personal had to be shot by the fouled player, but I can't find it.

8-2. FT's for a personal foul to be shot by offended player or sub, or teammate if no sub is available.

No special provision for flagrant personal.

Nevadaref Tue Feb 17, 2009 08:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 580163)
On an Intentional Flagran foul, any eligible team member may shoot.

So much for always listening to bob. ;)

I'm sure that what bob meant to type, but didn't because his mind was going faster than his fingers, was that the offended player (or his/her sub if an injury occurs) must attempt the free throws for ANY personal foul, including those which are intentional or flagrant. However, any eligible team member may attempt the free throws awarded for a technical foul, including those which are intentional or flagrant. :)

bob jenkins Tue Feb 17, 2009 09:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 580285)
but didn't because his mind was going faster than his fingers,

That and the fact that I was just about finished testing a new (to me) drink recipe.