The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 12:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I've done rec leagues, and I can tell you if you had officials with the proper uniform (even if they were wearing shorts), you are doing well. You could always talk to the folks who run the league and ask them where they get the officials.

One more thought, you could always go one step further and figure out who to contact to start officiating some ball.
I've done rec leagues with DII officials.
It goes pretty smoothly.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

I've thought about getting certified to start officiating BUT I'm afraid my work schedule would prevent me from making a solid commitment.

When any of you began the process what sort of schedule did you have?
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
It goes pretty smoothly.
I think you're right and I should just ask. All of the more competitive leagues here charge similar amounts. I'm sure there are some who employee untrained officials to make a bit more money. Now I'll have to rely on their honesty in telling me where they get their officials. Haha...we'll see how that works out!
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 01:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by camargue44 View Post
I think you're right and I should just ask. All of the more competitive leagues here charge similar amounts. I'm sure there are some who employee untrained officials to make a bit more money. Now I'll have to rely on their honesty in telling me where they get their officials. Haha...we'll see how that works out!
Just tell them you're considering getting started officiating and want to know who assigns their officials.

I work days (7-4) and have a very supportive boss. When I worked nights, officiating wasn't an option for me as my nights off were reserved for family. If you live in a large enough metro area, there should be kiddy ball on weekends, mornings and evenings, that would be a good start.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 01:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
It goes pretty smoothly.
I can imagine. If you have a good partner in these games, it makes all the difference.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 01:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I can imagine. If you have a good partner in these games, it makes all the difference.
The league was coming around nicely until, sadly, the girls went to the winter schedule.
We worked two 3-whistle games for that adult league.
Then we went out for beers and chow and chat.
I think we were paid $20/game and it was a nice change of pace in the middle of the week.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 08:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Terms are subject to change without notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Excessive swinging is normally viewed as when the elbows swing in a greater arc than the movement of the hips, which rebounders will often do to look for a receiver for their outlet pass. For example, if the rebounder swings their hips 180 degrees, then the elbows are also allowed to swing with the hips, that is, 180 degrees. However, if the rebounder swings his hips 180 degrees, and his elbows swing 270 degrees, then that is considered excessive swinging of the elbows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Not true.
bob jenkins: What's wrong with my description of excessive swinging? How would you describe it?

RULE 9 SECTION 13 EXCESSIVE SWINGING OF ARM(S)/ELBOW(S)
ART. 1 . A player shall not excessively swing his/her arms(s) or elbow(s),
even without contacting an opponent.
ART. 2 . A player may extend arm(s) or elbow(s) to hold the ball under the
chin or against the body.
ART. 3 . Action of arm(s) and elbow(s) resulting from total body movements as in pivoting or movement of the ball incidental to feinting with it, releasing it, or moving it to prevent a held ball or loss of control shall not be considered excessive.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Can't we all just get along? Guess not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Giving you an explaination is not going to change anything.

And if you do not want to get hit in the nose or any number of places, do not play basketball. That tends to happen even when the action is legal.

Be lucky you have officials willing to even put up with your crap during some silly rec. league.

Peace
Unbelievable that on occasion players and coaches think that some referees have an attitude. With cooperation like this to a guy who comes on the board with an honest question, this problem should be solved any day now.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 01:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
Unbelievable that on occasion players and coaches think that some referees have an attitude. With cooperation like this to a guy who comes on the board with an honest question, this problem should be solved any day now.
You must misunderstand the role of players. Their job is to play, not have a running debate with officials every time they think something did not go their way. And if I cared (or anyone cared) every time something we called what a player thought, we would change calls all the time. The last time I checked, players never foul and officials only call them for foul improperly. Either you do not understand how this world works or you are incredibly naive.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

jamming the outlet pass

My only input is some technique. Hubie Brown teaches this, and everything Hubie teaches works...

Instead of arms held straight up and parallal to eachother, cross your arms at the wrists or slightly below, and spread your fingers out to better deflect and block vision. Put your X'd arms up in the outlet passers vision just like you would with parallal arms raised. The best thing about this technique is the elbow can't reach your face. Try it- have someone "chin" a basketball right in front of you, assume the X arms position and have them pivot & swing. Do it slowly with control so no one gets hurt. There elbows will still impact your forearms and/or wrists, but not your nose.

If they are real aggressive and try to throw the outlet over & through your hands, protect your fingers by making fists.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

& for the record

I'm a HS coach and I don't feel that a referee ever owes me an explanation about a call. Coaches coach, players play, and referees make the calls.

If I were to recieve an explanation that would mean the game is actually delayed a little each time. If now the referee is offering explanations for calls whenever asked, the game is going to become slowed down by interruptions.

It's been my experience that when the clock is stopped at quarters, or half, or full time outs, if I begin with, "Can I ask a question..." and then ask a reasonable question in a non provoking manner, I always get a real answer. It might not be the answer I want to hear, but it's a real answer.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 02:28am
Official Forum Member

The problem is he starts with a wrong assumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
The original question is in part based on an incorrect assumption. There is no rule against a player raising their elbows above their shoulders while in possession of the basketball. When a player "rips" the ball overhead to get the ball on the other side of their body, their elbows go above their shoulders. Same as when a player holds the ball over their head to pass. The shooting motion requires the elbows to be raised above the shoulders.

I don't believe the case is so much that some referee's have an attitude, as it is more the case that everyone including sports officials have individual personalities. Some have pleasant dispositions, and some don't. Some don't have a lot of patience, especially in their house, which this sort of is.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
bob jenkins: What's wrong with my description of excessive swinging? How would you describe it?

I'd use the definition section.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 07:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Post office will not deliver without postage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'd use the definition section.
I believe that my description is easier for a nonoffical to understand. That's how we were taught what to look for twenty-eight years ago, when I was a rookie, and it was easy to understand.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I believe that my description is easier for a nonoffical to understand. That's how we were taught what to look for twenty-eight years ago, when I was a rookie, and it was easy to understand.
Quote:
We heard you the first time.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith