The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Have you heard any off the wall statements in pre-games from other officials that just floored you? How about an official telling the players if you lose your contact, please tell us, we'll stop the game and look for it.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John Schaefferkoetter
How about an official telling the players if you lose your contact, please tell us, we'll stop the game and look for it.
I have been know to tell players that in 5th/6th grade Rec games (and younger) where learning and fun are the most important aspects. Much better to stop the game than cost a parent $250 for glasses/contacts (speaking as the parent). So far I have never stopped a game. Once a kid lost his glasses and an opponent picked them up and held them till the play started going the other direction, then handed to glasses to the owner.

Only thing that I have heard in a captains meeting that caught me off guard was a partner that introduced himself as Michael Finley (I'm in Ft. Worth TX chapter). Players got a kick out of it. They look at me and I just said "Sorry, I'm not Steve Nash". This was before an 8:00 morning tournament game...seemed to wake them up a little.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking of light hearted moments

During a pre-game conference of a 5th grade game, I introduced myself as Fred Flintstone and my partner Barney Rubble.... The pre-game proceeded without acknowledgement of the "not-so-well-known" officials. (I must be getting old, should have opted for Barney and Builder Bob.)
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
Quote:
Originally posted by John Schaefferkoetter
How about an official telling the players if you lose your contact, please tell us, we'll stop the game and look for it.
I have been know to tell players that in 5th/6th grade Rec games (and younger) where learning and fun are the most important aspects. Much better to stop the game than cost a parent $250 for glasses/contacts (speaking as the parent). So far I have never stopped a game. Once a kid lost his glasses and an opponent picked them up and held them till the play started going the other direction, then handed to glasses to the owner.

Only thing that I have heard in a captains meeting that caught me off guard was a partner that introduced himself as Michael Finley (I'm in Ft. Worth TX chapter). Players got a kick out of it. They look at me and I just said "Sorry, I'm not Steve Nash". This was before an 8:00 morning tournament game...seemed to wake them up a little.
LarryS, I believe I had the same privelege you have... however, I quickly recovered and was Dirk!

Varsity tournament by the way
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
"My name is Mr. ___________ and this is my partner Mr. _________ We will be your officials this evening. If you need to find us we will be wearing the matching black and white striped shirts with the stylish polyester pants........ Now go do the right thing."
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
"My name is Mr. ___________ and this is my partner Mr. _________ We will be your officials this evening. If you need to find us we will be wearing the matching black and white striped shirts with the stylish polyester pants........ Now go do the right thing."
Fletch:

It is GUARENTEED that will be used in one of my games this year!!! Great stuff especially to lighten the mood on a saturday morning tourney when all the players are still wishing they were sleeping anyway.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 04:43pm
In Memoriam

Re: Speaking of light hearted moments

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
During a pre-game conference of a 5th grade game, I introduced myself as Fred Flintstone and my partner Barney Rubble.... The pre-game proceeded without acknowledgement of the "not-so-well-known" officials. (I must be getting old, should have opted for Barney and Builder Bob.)
Damnit,Willie!! That's "Bob the Builder",not "Builder Bob".
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
I like it. I'm gonna use it tonight in my 3A varsity game.
Z
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 05:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Just last night, I had a friend tell me he tells captains in pre-game that if they have a question, please make it answerable by either yes or no, because if they ask for an explanation of something, the answer has to be cleared with his association and that could take three to four weeks and he really doesn't want to suspend the game for that long!
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Speaking of light hearted moments

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
I guess we have more than just one "hip" dinosaur in this room
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 02:00am
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: Speaking of light hearted moments

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
I guess we have more than just one "hip" dinosaur in this room
Yeah,right. A hip dinosaur with a four year old grand daughter.I've watched "Dora the Explorer"(not Explorer Dora)so many times that I feel like puking when it comes on.I'm teaching her to read in self defense.