View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Conduct: Both Players and Officials

This evening in a rec league game where I regularly play I was defending the rebounder in transition. We had both gone up for the ball and he had come down with it. I continued to defend him with arms completely outstretched to make the outlet pass more difficult. I was very close to him but neither my body nor my hands were in contact with he or the ball. He brought the ball up with elbows out above his shoulders and swung them from side to side. Because I was defending closely his elbow hit me across the face and knocked me back. The whistle blew and obviously I was thankful that my good "d" was rewarded. BUT a defensive foul was called on me. I was stunned.

I looked at the official who blew the whistle (the trailing official) and said verbatim in a calm voice "What did I do, what's the call?". He said "you fouled him". I disagreed, clearly, but I said "right, what is the foul?". I wanted to know what he was calling: a hold, a push, etc. because clearly I was knocked back by an elbow above shoulder level.

MY QUESTION: Is it required that the referee specify the foul? Routinely, on questionable plays like this when asked respectfully he won't elaborate on the foul. Even to the scorer's table he only says it is "a foul" on sketchy calls - he won't specify. As a player, if I ask so I know what I'm doing wrong, shouldn't a referee who is acting professionally at least explain the call? Most importantly, as a referee are you not required to specify the type of foul after the initial whistle? You cannot just call "a foul" and leave it at that, right?

Please fill me in if I'm missing something. This referee consistently threatens to "T you up" when asked repeatedly about these calls. But I feel I'm owed something if I'm respectful and blood is streaming out of my nose or I'm having to pick myself up off the floor.

Thanks.

Love this forum and I truly have a lot of respect for basketball officials because much of the calls are so subjective - thus the need for this forum and discussion!

P.S. We play using Georgia Highschool Rules and I thought it was pretty much a universal that once the elbows come up above shoulder height and are swung (even if no contact is made) that's either a "tech" or some kind of turnover.

Last edited by camargue44; Sun Feb 15, 2009 at 07:54pm. Reason: addendum