The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Opinions wanted

GV game, hack fest. Visitors (B) have been behind the whole game. We're in the last minute of the game. A couple of players from team B have already fouled out. A has the ball and is up by about 8 points. B1 puts two hands on A1's back and gives a small push---not enough to be dangerous, but enough to displace her. I call the intentional foul and report, notify B1 and B's coach that B1 has fouled out. B's coach, who has been vocal all night, can't believe the call. I explain and ask for the sub. Meanwhile, I hear a loud bang off to my right. Apparently, B1 has stormed out of the gym and loudly hit or kicked something. Neither my partner nor I see this, but it's clear what happened. B1's sub comes in and we line for FTs. I'm standing near the table, and I hear B's coach talking to B1 (who has come back into the gym, I guess) that it was inappropriate to act the way she did even if "the ref made a bullcrap call."

I have no doubt that the intentional was the right call. My questions:

1) Do you give a T to B1 for her unsportsmanlike act even though you didn't see it?

2) Do you give a T to the coach for his comment to B1?

Any other comments?
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Well shouldn't non calling official be the one to tell coach and player they have fouled out ?

In our area thats how it's suppose to be done. Same philosophy as getting away after a T.

#1. Probably pass unless partner saw it then he needs to go get it.

#2. If coach/player and me were the only ones to have heard it I'm not sure. For me it's HTBT but I know for sure if anyone else heard other then us I got a T..

Your mileage may vary.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
Well shouldn't non calling official be the one to tell coach and player they have fouled out ?
We pregamed this and had the option of notifying ourselves or asking partner to do it.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

1) Do you give a T to B1 for her unsportsmanlike act even though you didn't see it? Nope. If you don't see it, don't give one. However, if it was so loud and blatant that the entire gym knew what happened . . . you may be able to swing it. Be careful though. Also of note, since the coach was notified, she is now bench personnel, which means what you give to the player now goes to the coach as well (indirect). Bet the coach gets the point then.

2) Do you give a T to the coach for his comment to B1? I would leave it alone. Don't have rabbit ears. JMO
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotto View Post
We pregamed this and had the option of notifying ourselves or asking partner to do it.
Curious as to why you would do this ?
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 03:31pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
We give the calling the official the option. I almost always handle it myself if I'm the calling official.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
We give the calling the official the option. I almost always handle it myself if I'm the calling official.
Why ? Is it a expediency thing or what ? Having the off call official notify seems to lessen the chance of whatever happening happening .
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotto View Post
GV game, hack fest.
This is the part I can't believe....

Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 04:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Why ? Is it a expediency thing or what ? Having the off call official notify seems to lessen the chance of whatever happening happening .
It's our philosophy that the simple act of someone fouling out, in and of itself, should not automatically present a contentious interaction with the coach.

We leave it to the calling official to gauge the temperature of the situation.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's our philosophy that the simple act of someone fouling out, in and of itself, should not automatically present a contentious interaction with the coach.

I agree. If they're just "fouling to stop the clock" (and I don't mean that it's an intentional foul), then let the calling official handle it.

If it's a controversial call on the star at a key point in the game, let someone else handle it.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 04:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Same philosophy here. I do not see the big deal. If I called the foul, running away does not look very strong or confident. I have never had to give a T as a result of a player fouling out and I doubt this will happen anytime soon.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

I am curious - could a pushing foul not have been called in this situation instead of the intentional? From your description you made it sound minor and although there was displacement was there an intent to just straight out push her opponent in a malicious way? I guess there is a need to be there situation for me.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc147119 View Post
I am curious - could a pushing foul not have been called in this situation instead of the intentional? From your description you made it sound minor and although there was displacement was there an intent to just straight out push her opponent in a malicious way? I guess there is a need to be there situation for me.
Two hands in the back is not a "legitimate attempt to directly play the ball or a player." An act doesn't have to be malicious to be intentional. There is a fine line between a "minor" push and a push that puts the fouled player at risk for injury. I will always call this play an intentional foul.

Last edited by Lotto; Wed Feb 11, 2009 at 10:08pm.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
From our mechanics manual:

DISQUALIFIED PLAYER:
- Calling official will notify partner that the player has five fouls.
- Calling official will notify the player that she has five fouls.
- Calling official will notify the coach that it is the player’s fifth foul and a substitute is necessary.
- - When the substitute reports, she must enter the game immediately.
- If the coach does not have a substitute ready to report, the calling official will tell the clock operator to start timing 20 seconds with the 1st horn sounding at 15 seconds and the 2nd horn sounding at 20 seconds.

A delay of game DIRECT Technical Foul shall be addressed to the head coach if the player has not been replaced after 20 seconds.

(Note The calling official always has the option to go opposite the table have her partner administer the substitution if she feels an adversarial situation has or could occur. (Discuss this thoroughly in your pre-game conference.)
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

My opinions:

1. When you see that the fould-out-player has left the gym, you tell the coach that she needs to return to the bench, rules require her to remain in the gym.

2. The coach is losing for a reason: He hasn't even taught his players what constitutes a really stupid act by a player with four fouls. For him to tell the player quietly that this is a "bullcrap" call, just shows that he's an idiot. Late in the game, he's not gonna win no matter what, no one else heard him, meh...

3. If others hear, and he's really showing you up, you just gotta get it.