The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Game venting.

Arrive at game, 35 minutes before gametime. Partner has called me earlier in the day to confirm site location. Partner shows up 5 minutes before gametime. COuldn't get in the school.

GV game. Urban home school vs suburban away school.
I'm the R. Partner in pregame wants to, "Let em play if we can".
Tipoff. Physical game. Lots of contact. Very quickly in the bonus.
I call a PC against home point guard. Coach not happy. Home team up 20 2nd Q.

Collision on a loose ball later in the Q. Visitor player is injured. Home coach complaining about PC call to partner while injury is being dealt with.

Next thing I know. Partner is asking if coach wants a tech. Coach is wants a technical. No Profanity. NO verbal abuse from coach. Partner ejects head coach.

I end of giving T to assistant for not staying seated.
Ugly game.

What a difference from Div III W game on Tuesday.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 11:17am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbioteach View Post
Partner shows up 5 minutes before gametime. Couldn't get in the school.

I'm the R. Partner in pregame wants to, "Let em play if we can".
Musta been a great pregame! I hate that!
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Collision on a loose ball later in the Q. Visitor player is injured. Home coach complaining about PC call to partner while injury is being dealt with.
IF PC means Player Control foul. Then does not the coach have a valid complaint. How can a Player Control foul be called when the ball is loose?
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach View Post
IF PC means Player Control foul. Then does not the coach have a valid complaint. How can a Player Control foul be called when the ball is loose?
He's talking about the PC foul he called on the PG earlier in the game.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I end of giving T to assistant for not staying seated.
I could be mistaken here but if the head coach was ejected - why did the Assistant have to stay seated?
those T's do not carry over if I recall correctly - once the head coach is gone the next guy gets a clean slate unless there was a direct issued to the assistant.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 12:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
I could be mistaken here but if the head coach was ejected - why did the Assistant have to stay seated?
those T's do not carry over if I recall correctly - once the head coach is gone the next guy gets a clean slate unless there was a direct issued to the assistant.
I believe there's an interp that clearly states that the coaching box is lost for the entire team for the entire game. Why should a team benefit from their head coach getting a 2nd T?
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I believe it is the use of the "coaching box" that is lost, regardless off who is acting as head coach. IMO, there is no clean slate.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We've had this discussion before. Some feel the head coach has already lost the coaching box priviledges due the first T, so whoever is acting as the head coach following that point has the same restrictions. There is also nothing in the rules that supports a "restoration" of the coaching box.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
We've had this discussion before. Some feel the head coach has already lost the coaching box priviledges due the first T, so whoever is acting as the head coach following that point has the same restrictions. There is also nothing in the rules that supports a "restoration" of the coaching box.
the question is this if since the technicals do not carry over, and this guy has a clean slate so to speak, how do you keep him from using the coaches box. This is the head coach now and has done nothing to lose the privlege of the box>

I would have a hard time coming up with something that says he is seated.
Go back to the head coach gets ejected before the start of the game for players dunking the ball. the assistant takes over for the game you are going to I do not know by rule how you can keep him down.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 01:06pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
the question is this if since the technicals do not carry over, and this guy has a clean slate so to speak, how do you keep him from using the coaches box. This is the head coach now and has done nothing to lose the privlege of the box>

Go back to the head coach gets ejected before the start of the game for players dunking the ball. the assistant takes over for the game you are going to I do not know by rule how you can keep him down.
Most assistant coaches wouldn't know how to use the box...it's like a foreign country to them!
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

No, - this is still the assistant coach who had to take over for the head coach. The head coach just happens to be in the locker room. I don't believe that the head coach was fired, and the AC applied and interviewed for the HC position in this short span. Therefore he is an AC and never had the privledge of a coaching box and still doesn't!
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 01:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Because he is the assistant coach.

For that matter, where does it say he's the head coach? The head coach has been tossed. We grant him some of the same rights (timeouts, correctable errors) and responsibilities (control of his bench), but nothing says he's the "head coach."

Again, why should a team benefit from the HC getting one more TF?
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

IMO, it doesn't matter if the remaining coach is deemed the HC or an AC, the first technincal charged directly or indirectly to the HC results in THE "LOSS OF COACHING BOX PRIVELEGES"

It is the "coaching box privelege" that is gone. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
IMO, it doesn't matter if the remaining coach is deemed the HC or an AC, the first technincal charged directly or indirectly to the HC results in THE "LOSS OF COACHING BOX PRIVELEGES"

It is the "coaching box privelege" that is gone. Nothing more, nothing less.
But it does mater about the HC or AC because of what happens with direct and indirect technical fouls.
there are scenarios where this could be an issue, (while I do not want to be the official involved), there could be a scenario where the coach now in charge could be ejected also for the accumulation of direct and indirect technicals also. So if the replacement remains the assisitant coach what happens to bench technicals who are they charged to?
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 03:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
But it does mater about the HC or AC because of what happens with direct and indirect technical fouls.
there are scenarios where this could be an issue, (while I do not want to be the official involved), there could be a scenario where the coach now in charge could be ejected also for the accumulation of direct and indirect technicals also. So if the replacement remains the assisitant coach what happens to bench technicals who are they charged to?
Good question, but that does change the fact that the coaches box privileges are gone once the head coach receives his first T. Whoever replaces the HC does not get the privilege of the coaches box.