The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Venting

Just wanted to put this out there for your thoughts...

I do some jr. high stuff in a local conference. I've been doing less and less of it as I've started to get higher level hs and now some juco stuff, but lets face it, the games are quick, they pay well and they are usually on sat & sun mornings & afternoons so they fill in the rest of my schedule nicely. My biggest problem with these games are the officials who work them. There are far too many officials from what I have seen who work these games like machines doing 6-8 games/day (or more), and do it for no other apparent reason than the money. Watching a game before mine last night, one official didn't make it past halfcourt, walked up court on a break, never switched on a single foul, nothing. I started getting so angry I just buried my head in my casebook so I didn't have to watch... If this was the only official like this that would be one thing, but I see it all the time in this league, and I suspect it happens everywhere. In the "pregame" if you tell your partner that we are swtiching on fouls, you get the eye roll like "oh you are one of THOSE!" They cut time off the clock at halftime as if saving yourself one minute is going to make a difference getting you out sooner - if you are that busy DON'T DO GAMES! Unfortunately the school AD's and league administrators are volunteer parents who 1) usually don't know much about the game and/or 2) could care less about the officials as long as a warm body shows up and doesn't cause them an inconvenience. They are happy to write a check for $30-something a game just as long as someone shows up. Basically the same thing with the assignors, they assign so many games, they too are happy that a warm body shows up and as long as there are no complaints everyone is happy! Forget the fact that it is an absolute travesty, that the kids are being cheated and that the officials are basically stealing money....I guess this plea goes out to any league administrators who fit the description above, you can and should do soemthing about this!! You cannot expect to get officials who are right 100% of the time (because they don't exist), but you should be able to expect, actually demand, that an official will be professional and will HUSTLE for the money that you are paying them...and to officials who fit the mold above, do everyone else a favor and either change the way that you officiate games, get a part time job where you can stand behind a cash register, or stay home.....there I feel better now...
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 11:14am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
KB -

I have seen those of which you speak and don't enjoy working with "them" myself. While I still have a lot to learn, I vow never to become one of "them" - overweight, out of shape, don't run, don't keep up with the rules, seem not to care, in it for the $, etc. It is disheartening to see - especially for younger or newer officials who are looking to learn from the more seasoned officials.

I certainly have my problems, but I like to think they are from omission and lack of seasoning - not commission (as in something I could change but choose not to).

In my limited time, I believe I have seen more conscientious refs out there than the kind of which you speak.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
KB -

I have seen those of which you speak and don't enjoy working with "them" myself. While I still have a lot to learn, I vow never to become one of "them" - overweight, out of shape, don't run, don't keep up with the rules, seem not to care, in it for the $, etc. It is disheartening to see - especially for younger or newer officials who are looking to learn from the more seasoned officials.

I certainly have my problems, but I like to think they are from omission and lack of seasoning - not commission (as in something I could change but choose not to).

In my limited time, I believe I have seen more conscientious refs out there than the kind of which you speak.
Absolutely, give me someone who is new and learning ANY day over someone who has done it for 20 years and thinks that means they don't have to work...where else are you gonna learn, that is the perfect environment for it, as long as you are there for the right reasons...

I hope you are right that there are more out there, I know as you move up the chain that all changes obviously, it just seems that as there are more and more leagues & games and basketball becomes more of a year-round sport, the level of officiating at the lower levels has become extremely watered down and you are starting to attract the wrong kind of people...
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 11:28am
9/11 - Never Forget

I have had some excellent seasoned officials help me tremendously and some very critical evaluators who have taught me a lot. Most have done it the right way and set an example I want to follow. I try not to be too judgemental though, as I wonder what people think about me........
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Here's another way to look at it:

Those are the accepted mechanics for that league / level. IF you don't like those mechanics, don't do that league.

I'm not saying it's right, just a different viewpoint.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

KB-

It can be frustrating sometimes, I know, but you've got to remember why YOU do, and not worry about why others do it. Get out there, give 110%, and know that when you take that paycheck home, you earned it.

Also, maybe try to help some of the weak refs. I've found that sometimes people don't hustle or switch is because they feel as if even if they did those things, they wouldn't be able to do a good job. Sure there are those that are just in it for the money, but I'm sure you could find plenty who are just new to things.

The most important thing we can do as officials is to help other officials in any way we can. I'm by no measure a "veteran," but even I can find ways to help new officials, sometimes just assuring them that something they're getting ripped on evaluations for is the same thing I, and other rookies, got ripped for. Then, sometimes I can help them by showing them how I corrected the problem.

KB, you've obviously got a love for the game, and all you can do is get out there and show it!
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Bob. If you're not enjoying yourself, don't work the games. Personally, I don't work the weekend stuff anymore because the quality of play is poor, the sportsmanship isn't always good, and I don't like working 2 man mechanics. I will say, I am guilty of taking some of these tournaments over the summer for some quick cash for important items like a new sand wedge or something. Let's face it, if they didn't pay us, we probably wouldn't be out there.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 11:47am
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Let's face it, if they didn't pay us, we probably wouldn't be out there.
Shocked! I am shocked that you would suggest such a thing!
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
Just wanted to put this out there for your thoughts...

I do some jr. high stuff in a local conference. I've been doing less and less of it as I've started to get higher level hs and now some juco stuff, but lets face it, the games are quick, they pay well and they are usually on sat & sun mornings & afternoons so they fill in the rest of my schedule nicely. My biggest problem with these games are the officials who work them. There are far too many officials from what I have seen who work these games like machines doing 6-8 games/day (or more), and do it for no other apparent reason than the money. Watching a game before mine last night, one official didn't make it past halfcourt, walked up court on a break, never switched on a single foul, nothing. I started getting so angry I just buried my head in my casebook so I didn't have to watch... If this was the only official like this that would be one thing, but I see it all the time in this league, and I suspect it happens everywhere. In the "pregame" if you tell your partner that we are swtiching on fouls, you get the eye roll like "oh you are one of THOSE!" They cut time off the clock at halftime as if saving yourself one minute is going to make a difference getting you out sooner - if you are that busy DON'T DO GAMES! Unfortunately the school AD's and league administrators are volunteer parents who 1) usually don't know much about the game and/or 2) could care less about the officials as long as a warm body shows up and doesn't cause them an inconvenience. They are happy to write a check for $30-something a game just as long as someone shows up. Basically the same thing with the assignors, they assign so many games, they too are happy that a warm body shows up and as long as there are no complaints everyone is happy! Forget the fact that it is an absolute travesty, that the kids are being cheated and that the officials are basically stealing money....I guess this plea goes out to any league administrators who fit the description above, you can and should do soemthing about this!! You cannot expect to get officials who are right 100% of the time (because they don't exist), but you should be able to expect, actually demand, that an official will be professional and will HUSTLE for the money that you are paying them...and to officials who fit the mold above, do everyone else a favor and either change the way that you officiate games, get a part time job where you can stand behind a cash register, or stay home.....there I feel better now...
KB... are these arbiter assigned games.. you know my guy whos initials are JM right. If they are his games pm me. I have his email. I can assure you that he would not stand for this if he knew.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Here's another way to look at it:

Those are the accepted mechanics for that league / level. IF you don't like those mechanics, don't do that league.

I'm not saying it's right, just a different viewpoint.
I wouldn't call laziness a mechanic, but that is the problem that it IS "accepted"...you are right though I do it to myself and will continue to phase these games out, I just hate seeing it, like I said it is basically stealing money and irritates me to no end...
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
KB... are these arbiter assigned games.. you know my guy whos initials are JM right. If they are his games pm me. I have his email. I can assure you that he would not stand for this if he knew.
Thanks Mike, it is actually not JM, but another league I work in that he doesn't assign - shocking I know since he has about 98% of the games in the area, ha!
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

For the most part these are the best officials that these people can get to fill there schedules.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 01:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
Basically the same thing with the assignors, they assign so many games, they too are happy that a warm body shows up and as long as there are no complaints everyone is happy!
Congratulations....and welcome to the real world.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Congratulations....and welcome to the real world.
Thanks...I don't have to like it!