The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Quick question

Tonight my team got called for a delay of game substitution. I requested a timeout before the the FT's. It wasnt granted until after the FT's. I guess in the long run it really didnt matter, I was just wondering if this was correct
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 12:28am
Do not give a damn!!

What is a delay of game substitution?

Peace
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

I don't understand what you are asking. If you would attempt to describe the events, then I might be able to help you understand the situation.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
Tonight my team got called for a delay of game substitution. I requested a timeout before the the FT's. It wasnt granted until after the FT's. I guess in the long run it really didnt matter, I was just wondering if this was correct
Are you saying that you had a player foul out and then you got a T for not substituting for him?

If that's what happened, you can't be granted a timeout before your replace the player.

If that's not it, you'll have to give us a little better explanation as to what happened.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Forgive me for not explaining well, twice in the game, while guarding the inbounds i had two different kids reach across the line and make contact with a pass. That wasn't my question. I asked for a time out before they shot. The official told me I had to wait because they had to do things in order of they occurred. It didn't seem right, but it wasn't a big deal, I was just wondering.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
Forgive me for not explaining well, twice in the game, while guarding the inbounds i had two different kids reach across the line and make contact with a pass. That wasn't my question. I asked for a time out before they shot. The official told me I had to wait because they had to do things in order of they occurred. It didn't seem right, but it wasn't a big deal, I was just wondering.
If your description is precise, then the officials kicked two rules.

1. The defender is allowed to break the boundary plane and contact the ball AFTER the throw-in pass leaves the thrower's hands. (Note: the defender can't touch an OOB pass between teammates on the OOB side of the boundary plane during an end line throw-in following a made or awarded goal. That's a T.)

2. Did your players receive a T each time or only on the second time? There shouldn't have been a T or a DOG warning either time, but I'm just curious.

3. You are allowed to request and be granted a time-out during the dead ball prior to any FT by either team as long as it's not the second time-out following the expiration of time in the fourth quarter or an extra period.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quite honestly..I the first occurred on the far side of the court and i didn't get the best explanation. But I am sure that the ball left the throwers hand. We got the delay of game warning. On the second, my guy came across the line without contacting any ball, or any one.

On my timeout request, my point with the official was if it was a common shooting foul, I could request a timeout, and it would be granted..and I didn't see the difference. And then i asked him..what if the T was for something my kid said...and I wanted a timeout to talk to the team..he kept telling me it was the order it occurred. In the long run it really didn't
play much of a factor, but i really didn't want a TO after the free throws.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, you had a couple of officials who aren't real solid with the rules. That's too bad, and it worries me whenever I see or hear of an official making such an incorrect ruling. It makes me wonder what else they screwed up that did have an impact on the game.

Hopefully, they will improve in this area.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

I will say they did a decent job, and that was my only question the entire night. I will say they both had some trouble when players went to the basket hard and there was some contact. I know not all contact is a foul..but I just seemed they had bad angles on some plays..I know they didn't close down on shots and didn't get a good look at the players rebounding. But it was consistent so I really didn't say a work.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

For someone who is coaching, your comments display an unusual level of knowledge of officiating technique. By that and your presence on this forum, I'm thinking you also an official. True?
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Unfortunately, you had a couple of officials who aren't real solid with the rules.
I'm not so sure. The OP states that he was across the court and saw only that his player contacted the ball after it was released on the throw-in. The player might have reached across the plane just before the ball was released, which would have merited the DOG warning.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
For someone who is coaching, your comments display an unusual level of knowledge of officiating technique. By that and your presence on this forum, I'm thinking you also an official. True?
While in college for 5 years I did officiate. I took a job teaching and began coaching. I do miss it very much and 99.9% chance that after the year is over that i am going back and will stop coaching.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 12:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I'm not so sure. The OP states that he was across the court and saw only that his player contacted the ball after it was released on the throw-in. The player might have reached across the plane just before the ball was released, which would have merited the DOG warning.
Maybe, but making the coach wait for his TO was an error.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Maybe, but making the coach wait for his TO was an error.
Maybe, but the official calling the plane violation wasn't necessarily in error.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 12:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Maybe, but the official calling the plane violation wasn't necessarily in error.
Maybe.