The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quick Question

I was looking at getting this gear of off ebay. I know that it is better to buy "brand" names and using them for awhile instead of buying "off" brands. But due to budget restraints i was looking at this package: http://cgi.ebay.com/Baseball-Softbal...QQcmdZViewItem This will be my first year umping and do you think i should get this to start me off this year (2007-2008) and then buy a good set for next year (2008-2009) when I have the money?

Thanks
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I'd look at a better chest protector if you're planning on calling anything from age 13 and up. I don't know of too many people who aren't wearing a hard-shell protector these days. I started in the day when a foam protector was the only thing available and I used plenty of ice and had many bruises to show for it, and I was one of the lucky ones - no broken bones.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

I would not get that "package". You can get some quality merchandise on Ebay, or you can get a package from some suppliers such as Honigs or Gerry Davis. As Waltjp stated, the hard shell protector is the way to go. Do not skimp on the cp. You can cut costs on some things, but get a good cp and plate shoes.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 02:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Don't forget about telling the OP not to buy that CUP in the package !

We rarely get hit by a ball coming directly at the front of us, especially behind the plate. What you need is a newer Banana style, which wraps down around the bottom to protect us from those balls bouncing up. Bike makes a very nice one with Flex-Sides, that you can wear all day without irritation.

Also, that chest protector in the package might protect you from a 2 year old, throwing a whiffle ball.

I don't agree with the posters who say you have to have a Hard Shell protector. I, am many others, use the Honig's K1 for all levels of ball. It is not considered a Hard Shell protector, but it affords great protection. Any style of protector, that is a quality protector, from a reputable company will give you good protection. Do be wary of knock-off lookalikes. They are usually not even worth the "lower" price, let alone your life.

Nick