The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   college plays- double shot (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51547-college-plays-double-shot.html)

mutantducky Tue Feb 10, 2009 04:14am

college plays- double shot

First- player on West Virgina gets fouled going up for a shot looses the ball but grabs it again in mid-air and makes it. The refs, however after looking at the tape take away the basket and give him two shots. They reasoned that his first shot had ended when he lost the ball and even though he made a nice play getting the ball back while still in air, the shot didn't count.
1. Is this the same in HS?
2. Could multiple fouls be called here, If he gets fouled on the second shot? Would you still just shoot two fts or ignore one of the fouls?

just another ref Tue Feb 10, 2009 04:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 577539)
First- player on West Virgina gets fouled going up for a shot looses the ball but grabs it again in mid-air and makes it. The refs, however after looking at the tape take away the basket and give him two shots. They reasoned that his first shot had ended when he lost the ball and even though he made a nice play getting the ball back while still in air, the shot didn't count.
2. Could multiple fouls be called here, If he gets fouled on the second shot? Would you still just shoot two fts or ignore one of the fouls?

NFHS: The try ends when it is certain it will not be successful. The ball is now dead, so he can't start another try.

mutantducky Tue Feb 10, 2009 04:23am

ok. well I would have given him style points...irregardless:rolleyes:

Nevadaref Tue Feb 10, 2009 04:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 577539)

Those NCAA officials got it right. The try ended and a new one started. Continuous motion doesn't apply to a new try for goal. The ruling is the same at the NFHS level.

A false multiple foul certainly could be called in this case as the player is still an airborne shooter until he returns to the floor. However, I believe that most officials would ignore a second foul in such a situation. I'd even venture to say that would still be true even if the contact was severe, but not enough to deem intentional or flagrant. Not saying that that is the right thing to do by rule, but it does seem to be the commonly accepted practice.

Nevadaref Tue Feb 10, 2009 04:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 577548)
ok. well I would have given him style points...irregardless:rolleyes:

Tweet! You have just been cited by the spelling police. ;)
<dl><dt class="hwrd">Main Entry:</dt><dd class="hwrd">ir·re·gard·less http://www.merriam-webster.com/images/audio.gif</dd><dt class="pron">Pronunciation:</dt><dd class="pron"> \ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs\ </dd><dt class="func">Function:</dt><dd class="func">adverb </dd><dt class="ety">Etymology:</dt><dd class="ety">probably blend of irrespective and regardless</dd><dt class="date">Date:</dt><dd class="date">circa 1912</dd></dl> nonstandard : regardless
usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

dave30 Tue Feb 10, 2009 06:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 577551)
Tweet! You have just been cited by the spelling police. ;)
<dl><dt class="hwrd">Main Entry:</dt><dd class="hwrd">ir·re·gard·less http://www.merriam-webster.com/images/audio.gif</dd><dt class="pron">Pronunciation:</dt><dd class="pron"> \ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs\ </dd><dt class="func">Function:</dt><dd class="func">adverb </dd><dt class="ety">Etymology:</dt><dd class="ety">probably blend of irrespective and regardless</dd><dt class="date">Date:</dt><dd class="date">circa 1912</dd></dl> nonstandard : regardless
usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

English major? I am an English major, but I still make my share of grammar mistakes! Irregardless is a pet peeve of mine though!.....IT'S NOT A WORD !....I think we can all be in agreeance over that fact!

JRutledge Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:50am

According to Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary

Directly from the dictionary.
-----------------------------------------------------
ir*re*gard*less

Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the 20th Century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early in 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way form general acceptance. Use regardless instead.
--------------------------------------------------------

Peace

deecee Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:57am

if the player is fouled on the second attempt after a foul has been called you can not have a regular foul. only if the contact is excessive, otherwise you ignore. So you can have a personal foul (the regular run of the mill) or flagrant or intentional. But no 4 free throws with the lane occupied.

Adam Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 577714)
if the player is fouled on the second attempt after a foul has been called you can not have a regular foul. only if the contact is excessive, otherwise you ignore. So you can have a personal foul (the regular run of the mill) or flagrant or intentional. But no 4 free throws with the lane occupied.

this isn't quite correct, deecee. The key is whether the ball is dead or not. By rule, you can have multiple fouls on a shooter because the ball does not become dead until the try is over.

In the OP, however, the ball is dead once the it is obvious the first try is not going to be successful.