The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 02:07pm
MABO Member

FIBA - Backcourt Violation or Not?

After reading a couple of other threads regarding the backcourt violations, and not wanting to hijack them, I have a question.

Team A is pressing Team B and as the ball is being advanced towards half, player A2 runs up behind B3 and sweeps the ball into A's backcourt.

Violation?

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 02:20pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

No.

14.1 says that TC starts by a dribble or by holding the ball. A sweeping motion is nothing more than trying to knock the ball loose - it does not start a new TC. If A were to touch ball the first, and in their BC, and that touching is also a dribble by A or holding the ball by A, a new TC is started, and because the new TC is in the BC, no violation.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
After reading a couple of other threads regarding the backcourt violations, and not wanting to hijack them, I have a question.

Team A is pressing Team B and as the ball is being advanced towards half, player A2 runs up behind B3 and sweeps the ball into A's backcourt.

Violation?
If Team A recovers in their b/c, I say yes it is a violation under the "last to touch / frist to touch" concept. FIBA does have an exception to an interception leaping from the f/c and landing in the b/c but I believe that this would not apply in your snitch...
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 02:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref_in_Alberta View Post
If Team A recovers in their b/c, I say yes it is a violation under the "last to touch / frist to touch" concept. FIBA does have an exception to an interception leaping from the f/c and landing in the b/c but I believe that this would not apply in your snitch...
Did you consider 30.1.2 when it says "in control of the ball"? There is NO team control when knocking the ball away from an opponent.

If this sweeping motion that Smoke mentions is part of a dribble, then yes I can see calling the violation.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 02:41pm

On the 2008 Interpretations document, page 14, it talks about backcourt violations. Read example 1. A3 jumps from his FC, intercepts a B pass and lands in A's BC. Ruling is no violation. There is a case for this being a higher probability of a violation than knocking the ball away in the FC and then going to get it in the BC.

It simply comes down to did A have TC in their FC?
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 04:22pm
MABO Member

I see what your saying Juggler, but still I am having a hard time grasping just when it is a violation. I have the same opinion as what you are describing but have been told that if the defense is in the FC and knocks the ball into the BC where a teammate gains possesion it IS a violation. OHHHH so confusing.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref_in_Alberta View Post
The exception you are mentioning has nothing to do with this case. There must be team control in order to have a "ball returned in the backcourt" violation. As JugglingReferee points out, knocking away the ball from an opponent can never be qualified as team control.

The conditions for a backcourt violation are exactly the same in FIBA as in other rule sets: (1) team control; (2) last to touch in the FC; (3) first to touch in the BC. Only if all three conditions are met for the same team, then a violation has occurred. In the OP's case, team control belongs to team B, so the last touch in the FC by a player of team A is irrelevant.

Probably the case should have been presented with A and B reversed.

Ciao
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 04:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
I see what you're saying Juggler, but still I am having a hard time grasping just when it is a violation. I have the same opinion as what you are describing but have been told that if the defense is in the FC and knocks the ball into the BC where a teammate gains possesion it IS a violation. OHHHH so confusing.
Ask them to provide a citation for their belief. Then ask them what their ruling is on the situation in the FIBA Interpretations document for 2008 (but don't tell them where the play comes from). Then show them the ruling from FIBA. Then ask them if they wish to revise their ruling from the OP.