The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Proper Mechanics Questions (NFHS)

1) I'm Lead (opposite table). The ball goes out of bounds on tableside, below foul ling extended. I move over to tableside and remain Lead to administer throw-in. My partner (who now works D2 and D3 college games) tells me he's got it. So I go back to opposite tableside, where I was originally.

Question: Was he correct? Or, is it proper NFHS mechanic for the Lead to administer the throw-in below foul line extended? Is there anything that says it's an option for either Trail or Lead to administer?

2) I'm Trail (opposite table). My partner calls a foul in his area, in front of team B's bench. I switch and become the new Lead (tableside), ready to administer a throw-in, with ball in hand. My partner reports the foul, turns to me and says he's got it, with his hands up requesting the ball. I gave him "googly eyes" as if to let him know that I have it. He refused to go opposite table as the new Trail. So I gave him the ball and remained the Lead, but opposite table.

Question: Was he correct, again? I don't think so, but I can't seem to find anything that confirms either way.

After the game, we have a discussion about the switches. He tells me that I was wrong to switch and wrong to think that I was supposed to administer the throw-ins. We respectfully agreed to disagree.

Thanks
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacodee View Post
1) I'm Lead (opposite table). The ball goes out of bounds on tableside, below foul ling extended. I move over to tableside and remain Lead to administer throw-in. My partner (who now works D2 and D3 college games) tells me he's got it. So I go back to opposite tableside, where I was originally.

Question: Was he correct? Or, is it proper NFHS mechanic for the Lead to administer the throw-in below foul line extended? Is there anything that says it's an option for either Trail or Lead to administer?
Assuming you mean the ball goes out on the sideline below the FT line, the Lead should administer this. The way I was taught, if the ball goes out on your line, you administer the throw-in. Since the Lead administers and it's on your partner's sideline, you should bump up and be the new Trail on your side and he'll just move down and become the new Lead on his sideline.

Quote:
2) I'm Trail (opposite table). My partner calls a foul in his area, in front of team B's bench. I switch and become the new Lead (tableside), ready to administer a throw-in, with ball in hand. My partner reports the foul, turns to me and says he's got it, with his hands up requesting the ball. I gave him "googly eyes" as if to let him know that I have it. He refused to go opposite table as the new Trail. So I gave him the ball and remained the Lead, but opposite table.

Question: Was he correct, again? I don't think so, but I can't seem to find anything that confirms either way.
I don't know what he's doing on this one. As far as I know, NFHS says to switch on all fouls, and this wouldn't be switching. You're right on this one.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

1) If I am reading this correctly the ball is still going to be taken out on the sideline. Then if that is the case and Trail is already on that side he can go ahead and administer the throw-in even if it is in the short corner.
2) It sounds that you are correct. I foul was called and in a 2-whistle crew you switch on all fouls. You did becoming the lead where the foul occurred and you should have administered the throw-in IMO. It sounds like he wanted to not have to move around all that much in the 2-man game.

I may be incorrect, I have lost touch with some of my 2-man mechanics over the years.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 10:00am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:

Was this a 2-whistle or 3-whistle game?

In either case, the NFHS mechanic is that each official will put the ball in play on his/her own boundary line. So if the ball goes out on the Trail's sideline, the Trail administers the throw-in, even below the free throw line extended.

(This is slightly different in NCAAM, where the Lead will administer the throw-in on the Trail's sideline if the throw-in is below the FT line extended.)

Quote:

Were you going to be staying at that end of the floor? Or was the foul against the offensive team and now you were going to the other end? In a 2-whistle game, I believe the NFHS wants you to switch either way. In a 3-whistle game, I believe the NFHS says not to switch, but to "slide". I'm not sure about that, though, because the IAABO mechanics that I use for 3-whistle are for us to switch on those backcourt calls.

So your partner was correct in the first case, but I think you may have been correct in the second situation.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:

After the game, we have a discussion about the switches. He tells me that I was wrong to switch and wrong to think that I was supposed to administer the throw-ins. We respectfully agreed to disagree.

Thanks

If the ball goes out of bounds on the weak side, the lead is suppose to rotate over and now that side become the strong side. If the ball is below the FT Line extended, the lead can bounce the ball to the thrower.

As far as the other question, not sure what you mean.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 10:02am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Assuming you mean the ball goes out on the sideline below the FT line, the Lead should administer this.
This is not correct.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 10:04am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2 View Post
If the ball goes out of bounds on the weak side, the lead is suppose to rotate over and now that side become the strong side.
This is true for 3-whistle, but not necessarily for 2-whistle. I've seen people come across in case there's a quick pass to the post, but the Lead has to go back to his/her "correct" side of the basket in a 2-whistle game.

Quote:
If the ball is below the FT Line extended, the lead can bounce the ball to the thrower.
This is not correct. If it's the Trail's sideline, the Trail administers.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks
From your OP, I am not sure if you are two whistle or three whistle. I think it is two????

For two whistle:

1) Partner was correct. He was tableside and you were opposite. Ball went out on table side throw in and he should administer. If it went out on your side, then you would bounce on the side line.

2) If you are by the book in two person, that he had it right. He was near table to be report the foul and he stayed there. The less movement that you have the better to me. Although your way would work as well but took more movement.

Note: I work very limited two person and we pre game how we are going to handle things like foul reports and where we are going. I am sure that the #2 situation that you have on here would be talked about and I would want to do as your partner did.

My two cents!
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
This is true for 3-whistle, but not necessarily for 2-whistle. I've seen people come across in case there's a quick pass to the post, but the Lead has to go back to his/her "correct" side of the basket in a 2-whistle game.

Oh, sorry thought he was talking 3 whislte....my bad.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

In Sit. 2 the calling official is going from lead to trial. This is a switch. He is staying on the table side, as he should because he called the foul. He did it right. This is assuming that the foul was on the defense and that the teams are staying at that end of the court.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
In Sit. 2 the calling official is going from lead to trial. This is a switch. He is staying on the table side, as he should because he called the foul. He did it right. This is assuming that the foul was on the defense and that the teams are staying at that end of the court.
Staying on the table side has nothing to do with switching in two-person mechanics. You go opposite of where your partner is.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is not correct.
Why not? Does the Lead not administer below the FT line extended? I can see where Trail would do it if it isn't very far under the FT line, but if it gets very far into the corner the Lead has to take it at some point, right?

Edit: I guess what you're saying is that the only time the Lead administers on the sideline is when it is already his sideline. So if I'm Lead on table side and it goes out on the table side sideline, do I ALWAYS move up to the the Trail to administer, or can I stay as Lead and bounce across to the sideline?

Last edited by zm1283; Mon Feb 09, 2009 at 10:42am.
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks

This was a 2 man game & we were staying in the frontcourt. With regards to #2, the way I've always been taught was to switch, not matter where you are on the court, on ALL fouls. And, for the off official to administer the throw-in at a spot nearest to where the foul occurred. My partner suggested that when he called the foul, as the Lead, I should have stayed opposite tableside and simply dropped down as the new Lead and stayed opposite tableside. I disagreed and indicated that he was correct that I become the new Lead, but incorrect that I should not administer the throw-in tableside.

Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it.
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Staying on the table side has nothing to do with switching in two-person mechanics. You go opposite of where your partner is.
Yup, in that case, you switch on "every" foul. Some dont do it, but its the proper mechanic in 2-person.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 11:07am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I'm at a disadvantage here, since I've misplaced my mechanics manual and we only get one every two years.

However, I (personally) always have the lead bounce the ball to the thrower-in anytime the spot is below the FT line extended, regardless of the side of the court.

All I could find is this:

http://www.nfhs.org/core/contentmana...erences_08.pdf

I do know regular partners and I differ from the manual on one thing -- if I'm the trail I'll switch sides of the court and let the lead come across and take the throw-in -- just as I would if the ball goes out on the sideline above the FT line extended -- I would stay trail and go across to administer the throw in and my partner would slide across as the lead. I believe the NFHS manual expects officials to stay on the same side and switch lead/trail responsibilities, which seems awkward to me.

The key part of my post, though, is that I think it's proper (and makes sense) for the lead to administer ALL throw-ins below the free-throw line extended on the sideline (woith a bounce pass) in 2-person and NEVER appropriate for the lead to administer ANY sideline throw-ins in 3-person.

Could someone post a quote from the manual instead of just asserting what is or is not correct, as I can't tell if you are asserting your local practice is what you deem correct or whether you are actually paraphrasing the manual.