The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 03, 2000, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Arrow

Coupla' things:

1) Yes, everyone should use the proper PC mechanics (signal foul with closed fist and then signal PC with hand to back of head). I find that this is a terrific method in terms of audience interest. The fans see the crash, then note that the referee has a call to make (signals a foul) and then (finally!) they get to see what the call is. I find that the delay is important (a) to pause for a double whistle, (b) for dramatic effect, and (c) to gives you a split second to make sure you have the right call.

2) Sometimes, you may see an official use FIBA mechanics for PC. ie. the official signals by indicating a foul, then punching the palm of their hand, and then signaling with a fist upcourt. It's a terrific signal for PC (very effective). It's too bad that NCAA does not the same mechanic. Punching the palm is far more interesting and better to sell than planting your hand on the back of your head.

Cheers,
David
Old Mon Apr 03, 2000, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Question

I have seen a lot of variation of late when it comes to signalling player control fouls. My understanding is that the correct signal (NF) is:

1) Fist raised, opposite hand pointed at player's waist (as in a common foul), then...

2) Fist behind head, opposite hand still pointed.

Am I off here?

Thanks!

Joe
Old Mon Apr 03, 2000, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Technically, you are correct. I simply put my hand behind my head, and point the other direction. Actually, many times I don't even put my hand behind my head until I report the foul. Now, if you are calling out of you primary (which you shouldn't do), or in an area of double coverage, you may want to come up with a fist first to make sure that you and you partner have the same call.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2000, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Madine30:
Technically, you are correct. I simply put my hand behind my head, and point the other direction. Actually, many times I don't even put my hand behind my head until I report the foul. Now, if you are calling out of you primary (which you shouldn't do), or in an area of double coverage, you may want to come up with a fist first to make sure that you and you partner have the same call.

Thanks - that was what I thought. I had a player this weekend complain that I had signalled the block then *changed* the call. I've always signalled PC the way I described above, but I see a lot of officials do it differently.

Old Mon Apr 03, 2000, 11:43am

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
There is no need to bird-dog on a PC foul - there is only one player to which the foul can be relevant - that is, the one with the ball. So, you don't need to specify by bird-dogging. Besides, this is a call that you need to sell quickly, so don't waste your time standing there very long with your fist in the air - get to teh hand behind the head signal as quickly as you have acknowledged your partner does or does not have a whistle on the play.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2000, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

I disagree. While we may have our own idiosyncrasies and style to how we call a game we should be using the proper NF mechanics. It is not obvious who the foul is on (it could be a block or a charge) so we should bird-dog the correct player, then make the PC signal. I think we get ourselves in too much trouble by making that signal quickly (double whistles). Besides, the faster you make a call does not mean you sell it better. A few years ago this was discussed at the state interpretation meeting. The interpreter made it clear we were to use the proper NF mechanic and not any variation of it.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2000, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

quote:
Originally posted by David Clausi:
Coupla' things:

1) Yes, everyone should use the proper PC mechanics (signal foul with closed fist and then signal PC with hand to back of head). I find that this is a terrific method in terms of audience interest. The fans see the crash, then note that the referee has a call to make (signals a foul) and then (finally!) they get to see what the call is. I find that the delay is important (a) to pause for a double whistle, (b) for dramatic effect, and (c) to gives you a split second to make sure you have the right call.

2) Sometimes, you may see an official use FIBA mechanics for PC. ie. the official signals by indicating a foul, then punching the palm of their hand, and then signaling with a fist upcourt. It's a terrific signal for PC (very effective). It's too bad that NCAA does not the same mechanic. Punching the palm is far more interesting and better to sell than planting your hand on the back of your head.

Cheers,
David

I agree that you should look to sell the call, however, too much hesitation and "drama' makes the official appear as if he's not sure or a hotdog.

Getting the call right is done when you watch the play and have blown your whistle. I have found that going directly to the back of my head and giving the directional eliminates the majority of questions offered up at the scorer's table.

Of course you can never go wrong with the initial airborne fist, you don't want to hesitate too long in getting your hand behind your head and making oyur move to the table.
And if your calling in your primary, there should be no trouble with your partner and a double whistle.