The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Delay of game warning

What would be the proper thing to do in this situation?

Just before game starts. Team 1 has 5 on the court and is lined up for the tip. Team 2 is huddling by the free throw line. After my second whistle and "Let's go blue!" They finally broke the huddle and away we went.

If I had to whistle one more time, I was going to issue a DoG warning or tech. Which would be the right way to handle it?
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 11:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Hmmm. I wonder if you could use RPP for the jump. Good question. I think if they don't comply you can go straight to the tech, but you cannot issue a DOG warning here.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 11:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

If they don't want to come out of their huddle, go have a sandwich.

Then, help me find my meds.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaqwells View Post
hmmm. I wonder if you could use rpp for the jump. Good question. I think if they don't comply you can go straight to the tech, but you cannot issue a dog warning here.
rpp?
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 11:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Have To Be A Basketball Official To Join This Party ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
rpp?
Why the question? This is referring to the Rastriya Prajatantra Party, a political party in Nepal. Doesn't everyone know this, or maybe just famous Himalayan mountain climbers like myself know this? On my next expedition, I'm going to see how well the Fox 40 works at 28,000 feet. If I'm successful I will change my Forum username to SirWilliamMac.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
What would be the proper thing to do in this situation?

Just before game starts. Team 1 has 5 on the court and is lined up for the tip. Team 2 is huddling by the free throw line. After my second whistle and "Let's go blue!" They finally broke the huddle and away we went.

If I had to whistle one more time, I was going to issue a DoG warning or tech. Which would be the right way to handle it?
A team technical foul is the proper call in the scenario that you have provided, if you couldn't get them to move it by yelling at them as you did.

The reason is that the team is on the court (so 10-1-5a doesn't apply), but is failing to put a player in their half of the center restraining circle for the jump ball and the official cannot conduct the jump ball until a player takes that position. Therefore, this team is delaying the ball from being made promptly live, per 10-1-5b.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 01:43am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
A team technical foul is the proper call in the scenario that you have provided, if you couldn't get them to move it by yelling at them as you did.

The reason is that the team is on the court (so 10-1-5a doesn't apply), but is failing to put a player in their half of the center restraining circle for the jump ball and the official cannot conduct the jump ball until a player takes that position. Therefore, this team is delaying the ball from being made promptly live, per 10-1-5b.

NevadaRef:

Don't forget, though, Team B has to delay the start of the first half by one minute.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
NevadaRef:

Don't forget, though, Team B has to delay the start of the first half by one minute.

MTD, Sr.
I'm not forgetting that provision. In fact, I specifically mentioned it in my post; It's 10-1-5a. I simply don't believe that it applies to this case as the team is on the floor. They just aren't taking a required position. It is my understanding that the one full minute delay applies when the team isn't out there. For example, they are still in the locker room.

There is no way that I'm going to give them a whole minute to figure out who is going to be their designated jumper. In my opinion, that is why part b is in the book.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not forgetting that provision. In fact, I specifically mentioned it in my post; It's 10-1-5a. I simply don't believe that it applies to this case as the team is on the floor. They just aren't taking a required position. It is my understanding that the one full minute delay applies when the team isn't out there. For example, they are still in the locker room.

There is no way that I'm going to give them a whole minute to figure out who is going to be their designated jumper. In my opinion, that is why part b is in the book.

I agree.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 05:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
There is no way that I'm going to give them a whole minute to figure out who is going to be their designated jumper.
If they can't figure out who's going to jump, you decide for them. Choose the shortest, heaviest player, especially if he's wearing a knee brace.

They'll get the message.