The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Delay of game warning (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51500-delay-game-warning.html)

bas2456 Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:58pm

Delay of game warning

What would be the proper thing to do in this situation?

Just before game starts. Team 1 has 5 on the court and is lined up for the tip. Team 2 is huddling by the free throw line. After my second whistle and "Let's go blue!" They finally broke the huddle and away we went.

If I had to whistle one more time, I was going to issue a DoG warning or tech. Which would be the right way to handle it?

Adam Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:00pm

Hmmm. I wonder if you could use RPP for the jump. Good question. I think if they don't comply you can go straight to the tech, but you cannot issue a DOG warning here.

Mark Padgett Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:00pm

If they don't want to come out of their huddle, go have a sandwich. :cool:

Then, help me find my meds.

bas2456 Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaqwells (Post 576738)
hmmm. I wonder if you could use rpp for the jump. Good question. I think if they don't comply you can go straight to the tech, but you cannot issue a dog warning here.

rpp?

BillyMac Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:10pm

You Have To Be A Basketball Official To Join This Party ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 576740)
rpp?

Why the question? This is referring to the Rastriya Prajatantra Party, a political party in Nepal. Doesn't everyone know this, or maybe just famous Himalayan mountain climbers like myself know this? On my next expedition, I'm going to see how well the Fox 40 works at 28,000 feet. If I'm successful I will change my Forum username to SirWilliamMac.

Nevadaref Sun Feb 08, 2009 01:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 576735)
What would be the proper thing to do in this situation?

Just before game starts. Team 1 has 5 on the court and is lined up for the tip. Team 2 is huddling by the free throw line. After my second whistle and "Let's go blue!" They finally broke the huddle and away we went.

If I had to whistle one more time, I was going to issue a DoG warning or tech. Which would be the right way to handle it?

A team technical foul is the proper call in the scenario that you have provided, if you couldn't get them to move it by yelling at them as you did.

The reason is that the team is on the court (so 10-1-5a doesn't apply), but is failing to put a player in their half of the center restraining circle for the jump ball and the official cannot conduct the jump ball until a player takes that position. Therefore, this team is delaying the ball from being made promptly live, per 10-1-5b.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Feb 08, 2009 01:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 576768)
A team technical foul is the proper call in the scenario that you have provided, if you couldn't get them to move it by yelling at them as you did.

The reason is that the team is on the court (so 10-1-5a doesn't apply), but is failing to put a player in their half of the center restraining circle for the jump ball and the official cannot conduct the jump ball until a player takes that position. Therefore, this team is delaying the ball from being made promptly live, per 10-1-5b.

NevadaRef:

Don't forget, though, Team B has to delay the start of the first half by one minute.

MTD, Sr.

Nevadaref Sun Feb 08, 2009 02:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 576775)
NevadaRef:

Don't forget, though, Team B has to delay the start of the first half by one minute.

MTD, Sr.

I'm not forgetting that provision. In fact, I specifically mentioned it in my post; It's 10-1-5a. I simply don't believe that it applies to this case as the team is on the floor. They just aren't taking a required position. It is my understanding that the one full minute delay applies when the team isn't out there. For example, they are still in the locker room.

There is no way that I'm going to give them a whole minute to figure out who is going to be their designated jumper. In my opinion, that is why part b is in the book.

bob jenkins Sun Feb 08, 2009 05:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 576776)
I'm not forgetting that provision. In fact, I specifically mentioned it in my post; It's 10-1-5a. I simply don't believe that it applies to this case as the team is on the floor. They just aren't taking a required position. It is my understanding that the one full minute delay applies when the team isn't out there. For example, they are still in the locker room.

There is no way that I'm going to give them a whole minute to figure out who is going to be their designated jumper. In my opinion, that is why part b is in the book.

I agree.

Mark Padgett Sun Feb 08, 2009 05:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 576776)
There is no way that I'm going to give them a whole minute to figure out who is going to be their designated jumper.

If they can't figure out who's going to jump, you decide for them. Choose the shortest, heaviest player, especially if he's wearing a knee brace.

They'll get the message.