The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 09, 2000, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

A1 was fouled by B1. As A1 is going to the foul line to shoot, the table informs the ref B1 has 5 fouls. Ref signals coach of B1 to sub for B1. Coach yells" I have 30 sec.to sub". The trail ref lines the players up to shoot 2 FT's. After 30 sec. the lead ref informs the trail to administer the first FT. The coach is informed he is delaying the game. He screams I can't allow A1 to shoot because he hasn't made his sub yet. After the first FT the sub enters the game. Was I right? and if he had missed the FT could I have allowed him to shoot again because of the delay of game warning given to the coach?
Old Wed Feb 09, 2000, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

After 30 seconds, a technical foul is assessed directly to the head coach (see Rule 10.5.1.d and Casebook 10.5.4B). No warning is warranted in this situation.

(Assuming that Team B coach makes his substitution after the first 30 second period...) Clear the free throw lanes, allow A1 to shoot his 2 FT's and then allow Team A coach to designate a shooter for the 2 technical free throws. After the free throws, award the ball to Team A at the division line opposite the scorers table.

It appears that you and the other official were trying to work the situation under the "resuming-play procedure" (rule 4-37), but this is only applicable after a time-out or intermission.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2000, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

A very good response here.
I had a similar situation earlier this year and was out of step with the rules a bit.
You explanation helped me to solidify my ideas and application.

Thanks
Old Wed Feb 09, 2000, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Gilbert on 02-09-2000 09:10 PM

After 30 seconds, a technical foul is assessed directly to the head coach (see Rule 10.5.1.d and Casebook 10.5.4B). No warning is warranted in this situation.

Strictly by rule, yes . . . a "T" after 30 seconds if no sub enters. However, don't be too quick to go that route. Do what you can within reason to let the coach know it's time to get the sub in ("Coach, time's about up. I need him in NOW."). Yes, they play their games, but if he's not being purposely a pain in the ###, just go with the flow and allow a little flexibility. And don't forget the proper procedure for a disqualification: Once you've been informed, 1) inform the coach, 2) direct the timer to begin the 30-second time, 3) inform the d/q'd player. Stand generally in the reporting area until the sub reports in, THEN go administer the free throw(s). Nothing else happens until either the sub enters, or you assess that dreaded "T."
Old Wed Feb 09, 2000, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by feeli99 on 02-09-2000 08:53 PM
A1 was fouled by B1. As A1 is going to the foul line to shoot, the table informs the ref B1 has 5 fouls. Ref signals coach of B1 to sub for B1. Coach yells" I have 30 sec.to sub". The trail ref lines the players up to shoot 2 FT's. After 30 sec. the lead ref informs the trail to administer the first FT. The coach is informed he is delaying the game. He screams I can't allow A1 to shoot because he hasn't made his sub yet. After the first FT the sub enters the game. Was I right? and if he had missed the FT could I have allowed him to shoot again because of the delay of game warning given to the coach?

The first thing I'm asking myself here, why is the coach yelling at the officials asking for his 30 seconds??? It appears that there was much more going on here than what you described. If the officials were doing things properly, the calling official should have informed the coach right away that he had 30 seconds to replace the disqualified player. So my guess is the calling official didn't do his job properly, and you have an upset coach to boot for some reason.

The second thing I notice here, is that the trail official is administering the free throw?? Why not the lead?? (new mechanic's lead administers all free throws)

Third when one official asks the other to go ahead and administer the free throw, and his partner 'screams' that he can't because the sub hasn't entered yet! (which is right), but you went ahead and shot the first one anyway before the sub was in the game, why??

From what I read here, I can see why the coach was probably upset.
Work on your game administration before you go looking to give out 'T's' to coach's.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2000, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by barney on 02-09-2000 10:55 PM
Third when one official asks the other to go ahead and administer the free throw, and his partner 'screams' that he can't because the sub hasn't entered yet! (which is right), but you went ahead and shot the first one anyway before the sub was in the game, why??

I believe the original post said that the COACH screamed that the free-throw can't be administered yet, not the other ref. And the coach was correct. I suspect "feeli99" recognizes that things were not handled quite right, though. Hence his post asking for feedback.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2000, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

'Todd' I beleive that you are right about the coach doing the screaming, my bad.

And to 'feeli99', my apologies, I did some venting of my own at your expense, which is not very professional.

We all make mistakes and occasionally have a bad game, hopefully we use these experiences to learn from to help make us better.
Have a good season...
Old Thu Feb 10, 2000, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by barney on 02-09-2000 10:55 PMIf the officials were doing things properly, the calling official should have informed the coach right away that he had 30 seconds to replace the disqualified player.

The only thing I'm telling the coach is that it's the kid's fifth foul. It's his job to know that he has to substitute within 30 seconds.

If he doesn't look like he's going to have a sub ready in time, then I'll encourage him to speed the process up a little...

------------------
Brian Johnson
Old Thu Feb 10, 2000, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by feeli99 on 02-09-2000 08:53 PM

In our area we notify the coach of the fifth foul, then the player, and then instruct the timer to start the 30 seconds allotted for the substitution with horns sounding at the 20 and 30 second marks. If, by then, you feel the coach is trying to play games then ring'm up, but a little patience goes a long way.

KJ

Old Thu Feb 10, 2000, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

[quote]Originally posted by Rusty Gilbert on 02-09-2000 09:10 PM

Here's a slight twist...What do you when the coach brings his team over and is using the 30 sec like a timeout? Or either coach calls a timeout?
Old Thu Feb 10, 2000, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Art N on 02-10-2000 01:52 PM
[quote]Originally posted by Rusty Gilbert on 02-09-2000 09:10 PM

Here's a slight twist...What do you when the coach brings his team over and is using the 30 sec like a timeout? Or either coach calls a timeout?

Cannot grant a timeout until subsitution is completed. If the coach wants to huddle, let him, but get the timer to give you the 20 second horn and inform the coach that he needs to get the sub in NOW.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2000, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Matthew
I would at least give him a ten second warning before the 30 seconds is up. I would then bend a little and give him a couple seconds more, but then if he still wasn't ready, a "T" should be addressed.

------------------