The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Charge/Block (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51497-charge-block.html)

benbret Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:36pm

Charge/Block

NFHS Varsity Boys game. U1 called a block U2 called a charge. Shot went in. Both reported their foul. They counted the basket and went to the arrow. Was this correct?

zm1283 Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbret (Post 576720)
NFHS Varsity Boys game. U1 called a block U2 called a charge. Shot went in. Both reported their foul. They counted the basket and went to the arrow. Was this correct?

Nope, double foul. Shot doesn't count because of the PC foul, but the shooter still gets two shots.

Do we shoot them with the lane cleared and the team that was on defense gets the ball after the second FT? I don't have my rule or case book handy.

Adam Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 576723)
Nope, double foul. Shot doesn't count because of the PC foul, but the shooter still gets two shots.

Do we shoot them with the lane cleared and the team that was on defense gets the ball after the second FT? I don't have my rule or case book handy.

They got it wrong, but so did you.
Double foul, count the basket (a double foul cannot include, by definition, a PC foul), ball to the team that did not score.

zm1283 Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 576728)
Double foul, count the basket (a double foul cannot include, by definition, a PC foul), ball to the team that did not score.

Man I learn something new every day on here.

How can a double foul not include a PC foul? If the offense didn't commit a PC foul, then is it just a team control foul? Is it neither?

I think I'm thinking of a false double foul where the shooter still gets their FTs with the lane cleared.

I guess this is why the blarge is very, very bad.

BillyMac Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:59pm

The Dreaded, Infamous, Blarge ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 576728)

4.19.8 SITUATION C: A1 drives for a try and jumps and releases the ball.
Contact occurs between A1 and B1 after the release and before airborne shooter A1 returns one foot to the floor. One official calls a blocking foul on B1 and the other official calls a charging foul on A1. The try is successful. RULING: Even though airborne shooter A1 committed a charging foul, it is not a player-control foul because the two fouls result in a double personal foul. The double foul does not cause the ball to become dead on the try and the goal is scored. Play is resumed at the point of interruption, which is a throw-in for Team B from anywhere along the end line. (4-36)

A good pregame, good mechanics, good eye contact and good communication between partners, and some patience, i.e not being in a rush, will almost always prevent this from happening.

BktBallRef Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 576734)
Man I learn something new every day on here.

Too bad you aren't as open minded and interested in learning when you post on the football board. :(

dbking Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 576736)
4.19.8 SITUATION C: A1 drives for a try and jumps and releases the ball.
Contact occurs between A1 and B1 after the release and before airborne shooter A1 returns one foot to the floor. One official calls a blocking foul on B1 and the other official calls a charging foul on A1. The try is successful. RULING: Even though airborne shooter A1 committed a charging foul, it is not a player-control foul because the two fouls result in a double personal foul. The double foul does not cause the ball to become dead on the try and the goal is scored. Play is resumed at the point of interruption, which is a throw-in for Team B from anywhere along the end line. (4-36)

A good pregame, good mechanics, good eye contact and good communication between partners, and some patience, i.e not being in a rush, will almost always prevent this from happening.

That is all said and good if the ball was released. THe OP did not discuss this. If shooter is still in control of ball when play happens, do not count the shot. Call double personal foul and the ball is put back in play by the POI rule. This would be the nearest spot of the double foul.

Bishopcolle Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbking (Post 576761)
That is all said and good if the ball was released. THe OP did not discuss this. If shooter is still in control of ball when play happens, do not count the shot. Call double personal foul and the ball is put back in play by the POI rule. This would be the nearest spot of the double foul.

still gets to shoot two FTs, since he was fouled by the block....

Nevadaref Sun Feb 08, 2009 06:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bishopcolle (Post 576762)
still gets to shoot two FTs, since he was fouled by the block....

Nope, there are NO free throws awarded for a double-foul. That's the rule.

Nevadaref Sun Feb 08, 2009 06:41am

yet whenever I make a post about how a certain poster acts exactly in this manner it quickly gets deleted.

Bishopcolle Sun Feb 08, 2009 09:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 576792)
Nope, there are NO free throws awarded for a double-foul. That's the rule.

I sit here, humble, and corrected...after reading your post, and the rule book....THANKS!

bob jenkins Sun Feb 08, 2009 04:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 576793)
yet whenever I make a post about how a certain poster acts exactly in this manner it quickly gets deleted.

Maybe it depends on how quickly a moderator gets here, or on the demostrated history between posters, or on the fact that someimes posters don't see what has been deleted and assume that their posts are being deleted more than others.