The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Kicking

I read in the rulebook that a kicking violation must be an intentional act. That is, the defender must try to kick the ball in order for there to be a violation.

I've seen several kicking calls recently where the ball just hit the foot of the defender while the foot was stationary.

What is the rule? How is it interpreted?
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 05:37pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
I read in the rulebook that a kicking violation must be an intentional act. That is, the defender must try to kick the ball in order for there to be a violation.

I've seen several kicking calls recently where the ball just hit the foot of the defender while the foot was stationary.

You got it right with your first line. What's the question? The other interpretations were either wrong or you "miss saw it."

If a ball strikes a players foot or leg accidentally, play on. No violation.

EDIT - See Rule Book 9-3, Section 4 or Case Book 4.29 - Unfortunately, I can't paste them, but someone probably will.

Last edited by grunewar; Sat Feb 07, 2009 at 05:43pm.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

I'm watching the Indiana-Michigan State game, and a Spartan tried to bounce pass to his teammate, but the ball hit a Hoosier foot, while the foot was stationary. This part I'm sure of. Hightower called a kick.

Gotta love Ed Hightower.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 07:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And By The Way, It Can Be A Kick By An Offensive Player ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
If a ball strikes a players foot or leg accidentally, play on. No violation. See Case Book 4.29
4.29 SITUATION: During A1's attempt to pass to A2, B1 (a) intentionally uses his/her thigh to deflect the pass; (b) intentionally kicks the ball with his/her foot; or (c) has the ball accidentally hit his/her lower leg. RULING: In (a) and (b), there is a kicking violation and Team A will receive the ball out of bounds nearest the violation. In (c), the ball remains live and there is no violation. (9-4)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

I interpret "intentionally kicks" loosely here. Example: A1 has the ball, B2 is guarding A2 with his back to A1. A1 starts a pass to A2. B2 notices A2 starting to reach for the ball and kicks out his leg. B2 can't see the ball, since his back is to it, but the ball contacts his moving foot.

RULING: kicking violation, even though it would be a stretch to say that B2 was intentionally kicking the ball.

NB: this is NOT what coaches mean when they tell their players to play defense with their feet.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 01:41pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post

bas,

Here is a thread that I started about kicking and some philosophy.