The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 12:49pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Almost had a stroke (OT game) last night!

Sixth grade girls rec. With 10 seconds to go in the game, it was tied. There was a timeout and I told my partner that if this game went into overtime, it was his fault. He said not to worry about it.

Team A inbounds and A1 hits a three and is fouled. Her foul shot hits the front of the rim, bounces right back to her, she hits a two and is fouled again. She makes the free throw. B1 goes to inbound with team A pressing and gets a five second count. Team A inbounds to A1 and she's fouled again. It's a one-and-one and she makes both. There's four seconds left on the clock and team A pulls back. Team B inbounds but can't get off a shot before the horn. Team A scores eight points in the final 10 seconds to win by that margin.

My partner comes over and says, "See, I told you not to worry". I told him I was really worried because I had Team A minus six with my bookie.

It was an incredibly weird last 10 seconds. BTW - this was our second 6th grade girls rec game of the night. The first one ended 24-6. Never worried a bit. They beat the spread.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 12:55pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I can't wait to read the post where your partner fails to or is unable to follow your end of game guidance..........
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

I had a Boys JV game last night, tried to get a tie but couldn't. 12 seconds left, home ( ahead by 2 ) has the ball OOB for throw in, 1-2-3-4-5 coach calls time out, I say, no coach, I had the 5 first. Now I have to give the ball to the visitors with 12 secs left. Fortunately, they miss , then foul and home makes 1 of 2 with 4 secs left, visitors get one more shot at a 3 to tie it and miss!!!!!!!
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 03:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Had a girls JV game last night; V didn't want to win and showed that at the end my missing every 4th quarter free throw attempt. H didn't want to win either, and showed it by throwing the ball away almost every time they had it. H's determination to lose won out and they lost by 2.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 10:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

First OT in two seasons tonight. BV worked 2-man on a college court. First half was like a track meet.

Towards the end of the OT, I called my first intentional foul in about 3 years.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 07:51am
9/11 - Never Forget

I "almost" had an OT game last night, but didn't.....and it was weird.

BJV, two big, rival schools. H is losing by 10/12 most of the game. H cuts the lead to 6 with 42 secs to go. Cuts the lead 4 with 25 secs to go. V bringing the ball up, Tweet! My P calls a foul, H's 5th with 21.3 on the clock. I figure we're going to have a long 21 secs.

H then drops back into a soft man-to-man. Clock winds down without any more fouling, incident or event. My P and I are happy and ran off.

We just didn't expect them to throw in the towel...... I wish more coaches would!
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 10:46am
Ref Ump Welsch

Bad me. 3 OT games this season...avoided my 4th one last night thanks to a missed shot at the buzzer! Whew!
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 06:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Didn't You Get The Memo ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I "almost" had an OT game last night, but didn't.
Almost only counts in horseshoes, and hand grenades, not in basketball. That's why the ovetime didn't happen.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 08:08pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Almost only counts in horseshoes, and hand grenades, not in basketball. That's why the overtime didn't happen.
Yeah, well, my luck ran out today.....two OT Rec games out of the six I called.

Sorry to let you down Mark! I strive to be as good as you, but apparently have a ways to go. I'll keep working at it though!
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
H then drops back into a soft man-to-man. Clock winds down without any more fouling, incident or event. My P and I are happy and ran off.

We just didn't expect them to throw in the towel...... I wish more coaches would!
I had the same thing happen last week. My guess: the varsity coach said, "Let it go."