The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Yet another reminder of the dangers of heat and dehydration. This one strikes close to home. IWU is in my hometown. I've worked a couple of high school games at Farmington and I might have officiated games this kid played in.

Link: http://www.pantagraph.com/stories/08...50824016.shtml

Heatstroke felled lineman at practice; he's now on a ventilator

By Douglas Hamm
[email protected]

BLOOMINGTON -- Illinois Wesleyan University football player Doug Schmied was in critical condition Tuesday at OSF Saint Francis Medical Center in Peoria after suffering heatstroke last week at practice.
The Hanna City native, a 6-foot-3, 285-pound senior offensive lineman and co-captain, became ill after Friday morning's practice and was taken to nearby BroMenn Regional Medical Center in Normal. Schmied was transported to Saint Francis on Sunday after his condition worsened.

"Doug is in very, very critical condition," said Laura Schmied, his mother. "They have him on a ventilator so he can breathe, and they have him on a dialysis machine to try and get some kidney function. They're pumping him with fluids, and they've put in a feeding tube so he can get some nourishment.

"Last night we almost lost him and we were given a small window. He has shown slight improvement today, and he is resting more comfortably. Luckily his heart is strong and that's to his favor," she said.

IWU coach Norm Eash said the player's illness is a blow to the team.

He said the program always looks for ways to prevent dehydration.

Laura Schmied said her son suffered a similar heat-related injury while at Farmington High School and he began recognizing the symptoms after Thursday's practice.

"He first experienced some of the same symptoms on Thursday, but football players think they're tough guys and he didn't think it was as bad as it was in high school," Laura Schmied said. "He thought, 'I can shake this off.' He should have known better, but he loves the game.

"None of us realize how serious this heatstroke is, and I'm not laying blame on anybody. I want parents informed how dangerous this is and it can be prevented."

Schmied is a two-year returning starter for the IWU, which will open the season Sept. 3 at home against Simpson (Iowa) College.

He's such a key player for us and a tremendous leader. He's one of the most caring football players we have on our team," Eash said.

"We're trying to show as much support as we can for the family. We're hoping for a speedy recovery. Our team is rallying around Doug. We want to see him improve and get well and come back hopefully sometime to help us in a leadership role."

Eash said Schmied became ill on the field after practice and was immediately taken to BroMenn.

"Colleges are always dealing with dehydration during preseason camp and it's always been a point of emphasis, not only with our coaching staff but our athletic training staff," Eash said. "We're always reviewing procedures to make sure something like this doesn't happen."

Schmied was an all-conference performer in football and track and field at Farmington, where he also played basketball for two seasons.

"He's a tough Titan," Laura Schmied said. "Coach Eash loves his players like they're sons, and Doug would do anything for Coach Eash. He may not be fighting on the football field but he's still a Fighting Titan. This time he is fighting for his life."

[Edited by mikesears on Aug 24th, 2005 at 08:30 AM]