The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Coaches Fighting?

Interesting GV game Monday night. Visiting team up by 20 late in 4th Q. During a free throw, I hear home team coach asking the visiting coach if he has any subs....visiting coach still had 2 or 3 starters in. I pay attention to the game after that....so at the end of the game I am walking off the court waiting for my partners and they are a little slow. I turn around and the coaches are in each others face, possibly ready to fight. Nothing came of it just talking back and forth. We headed for the locker room.

When we get in there my Ps and I talk about the home team coaches actions. Apparently he went over to the visiting teams bench and told the girls "so you guys only get to practice, but not play?" My p told me this so I assume it was after the game, or I know he wouldve got him for being out of the box. This coach is known for being a very sore loser and his 2 best girls are out so this season has sucked for him!! Hes an a**hole anyway most nights tho,lol.

Anyway, my question is if the coaches did start a fight with each other a) during the game or b) after the buzzer sounds and we are leaving the confines of the playing area....what do we as officials do?

I do have some guesses, but would like input from anyone that has dealth with this situation.

Side note: The visiting coach told us during pregame that he was new to coaching and after the game he came up to us and asked us how he should handle that situation. I told him to contact his athletic director and let him know what the home team coach did. ~~~
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheske44 View Post
Interesting GV game Monday night. Visiting team up by 20 late in 4th Q. During a free throw, I hear home team coach asking the visiting coach if he has any subs....visiting coach still had 2 or 3 starters in. I pay attention to the game after that....so at the end of the game I am walking off the court waiting for my partners and they are a little slow. I turn around and the coaches are in each others face, possibly ready to fight. Nothing came of it just talking back and forth. We headed for the locker room.

When we get in there my Ps and I talk about the home team coaches actions. Apparently he went over to the visiting teams bench and told the girls "so you guys only get to practice, but not play?" My p told me this so I assume it was after the game, or I know he wouldve got him for being out of the box. This coach is known for being a very sore loser and his 2 best girls are out so this season has sucked for him!! Hes an a**hole anyway most nights tho,lol.

Anyway, my question is if the coaches did start a fight with each other a) during the game or b) after the buzzer sounds and we are leaving the confines of the playing area....what do we as officials do?

I do have some guesses, but would like input from anyone that has dealth with this situation.

Side note: The visiting coach told us during pregame that he was new to coaching and after the game he came up to us and asked us how he should handle that situation. I told him to contact his athletic director and let him know what the home team coach did. ~~~
The game isn't over until you leave the visual confines of the court. If you're still out there, issue a double flagrant T.

Either way, report it to your state association (or other governing body).
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 03:09pm
Ref Ump Welsch

During game, flagrant T's on both and toss them. After the horn and still within visual confines, flagrant T's and ejection. Both ways, I'll still have a report to the state association (depending on the side of the river I'm on).

After the horn, and outside of the visual confines of the court, stay in the locker room till all hell blows over. Or if you enjoy a good fight, take the shirt off, put on a different shirt, grab some popcorn...ahhh, who am I kidding?
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you for the responses...now for the penalties...I believe they would offset and we go to POI? Or Arrow?~~~
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 07:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheske44 View Post
First, grab a video camera and get it rolling. Next, just stand there until one or both of them are unconscious. Then laugh.

At least, that's what I do.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 08:25pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
First, grab a video camera and get it rolling. Next, just stand there until one or both of them are unconscious.
Must be one of them great big video cameras on wheels. Sounds dangerous.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 07:08am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Saw an incident on the news the other day where the cameras were "rolling" as two scorekeeprs got into fisticuffs. Couldn't tell what started it, but the one threw water on the other, who prompltly stood and smacked the first one right in the head! Sheesh!
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 08:53am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Saw an incident on the news the other day where the cameras were "rolling" as two scorekeeprs got into fisticuffs. Couldn't tell what started it, but the one threw water on the other, who prompltly stood and smacked the first one right in the head! Sheesh!
Are you sure you weren't watching a Three Stooges movie?
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Bob, but I'm sure that someone will come along shortly and state that he wouldn't see anything because he would already be in the locker room.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 09:00am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
First, grab a video camera and get it rolling. Next, just stand there until one or both of them are unconscious. Then laugh.

At least, that's what I do.
If you're going to do that, at least take some popcorn with you!
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I agree with Bob, but I'm sure that someone will come along shortly and state that he wouldn't see anything because he would already be in the locker room.

I'll state that 99% of the time, I am in the locker room before the coaches could have a chance to fight after the game. I'm not sure what you are getting at.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 09:04am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Are you sure you weren't watching a Three Stooges movie?
While I am in the demographic that understands this reference, nope! Just two frustrated, middle-aged gentlemen at a HS game.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'll state that 99% of the time, I am in the locker room before the coaches could have a chance to fight after the game. I'm not sure what you are getting at.
I'm "getting at" those officials who use the final horn sounding as an excuse to ignore any unsporting conduct which happens after that moment and run away and hide. There is a faction of folks who believe that there job is over once that horn sounds.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

My old high school coach would've put boxing gloves on 'em and told them to let him know when they were friends.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalfan View Post
My old high school coach would've put boxing gloves on 'em and told them to let him know when they were friends.
That brought back memories. I went to a small rural HS in SE IL. Some of the most memorable PE classes was when there had been a scuffle somewhere in school earlier in the day. In PE Coach Reese would bring out a set of old leather boxing gloves and require the guys to fight. The fight would last until someone drew blood, or refused to get up after a knock down.