The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Foul after calling TO (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51423-foul-after-calling.html)

Amesman Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:47am

Foul after calling TO

What would you do in the following scenario:

Team B is trailing and pressuring full court. A1 struggles to inbound ball from the endline after a made basket. Coach A rises to call TO but pass is in air - toward division line. As A2 catches pass, yep, Coach A still wants TO. Whistle blows to grant it, but just after whistle, a legitimately hustling B2 crashes into A2 (too late for the steal, obviously).

What's the call? It's dead ball contact but not necessarily intentional or flagrant (as in 10-3-7). Most times I'd say I've got nothing/incidental, but if you have A2 flattened or otherwise plowed into ... ?

Ref Ump Welsch Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amesman (Post 575645)

Team B is trailing and pressuring full court. A1 struggles to inbound ball from the endline after a made basket. Coach A rises to call TO but pass is in air - toward division line. As A2 catches pass, yep, Coach A still wants TO. Whistle blows to grant it, but just after whistle, a legitimately hustling B2 crashes into A2 (too late for the steal, obviously).

What's the call? It's dead ball contact but not necessarily intentional or flagrant (as in 10-3-7). Most times I'd say I've got nothing/incidental, but if you have A2 flattened or otherwise plowed into ... ?

Sounds like a T to me, because it's a dead ball foul.

bob jenkins Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:50am

Quote:

You're correct that the ball is dead. Dead ball contact is ignored unless it's intentional or flagrant (or by or on an airborne shooter).

So, why the question? Just enforce the rule.

Amesman Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 575649)
You're correct that the ball is dead. Dead ball contact is ignored unless it's intentional or flagrant (or by or on an airborne shooter).

So, why the question? Just enforce the rule.

Not having been there yet, guess I's just trying to feel out the sentiment for seeing Little Angus - splat - on the floor and probably no reason to call the T, despite outward appearances (and significant physical contact).

ma_ref Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:04am

Quote:

I think you've answered your own question. The contact, and the resulting bodies on the floor may not look pretty, but from the way you describe it, it's a no-call.

jdmara Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:30am

Is this one of those times where the coach is just venting and all he really wants is for you to listen and nod your head because he answers his own question eventually? *nodding my head* uh huh

-Josh

Nevadaref Wed Feb 04, 2009 08:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amesman (Post 575654)
Not having been there yet, guess I's just trying to feel out the sentiment for seeing Little Angus - splat - on the floor and probably no reason to call the T, despite outward appearances (and significant physical contact).

Yes, the contact would be ignored if it does not qualify as intentional or flagrant, but please note that excessive contact even while going for the ball meets the definition of an intentional foul.

4-19-3
... A foul also shall be ruled intentional if while playing the ball a player
causes excessive contact with an opponent.

Back In The Saddle Fri Feb 06, 2009 04:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 575906)
Yes, the contact would be ignored if it does not qualify as intentional or flagrant, but please note that excessive contact even while going for the ball meets the definition of an intentional foul.

4-19-3
... A foul also shall be ruled intentional if while playing the ball a player
causes excessive contact with an opponent.

Absolutely true.

However, bringing that back to the OP, you have to ask yourself if you would have called that foul intentional if there wasn't the TO/dead ball thing to consider. If not, then we have nothing. Except a timeout. And a stretcher for little Angus.