The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thursday, April 1, 2004

Associated Press

NORMAN, Okla. -- Kim Mulkey-Robertson remembers how she felt when she first got the word this morning from AD Ian McCaw that the NCAA Women's Basketball Committee had awarded her Baylor team a spot in this year's Final Four.

"Just unbelievable! That was all I could think," Mulkey-Robertson told AP reporters.

Baylor wanted an explanation from the NCAA and they got one.

The Bears wanted to know why officials reviewed replays of the final seconds of their loss to Tennessee in the Midwest Regional on Sunday night, put time back on the clock and gave the Lady Vols what proved to be two game-winning free throws.

"Baylor University has been in communication with the Big 12 Conference and the two parties will jointly request a review and clarification of the events surrounding the controversial finish of Sunday night's Baylor-Tennessee game from the NCAA women's basketball championship committee," Baylor athletic director Ian McCaw said Monday.

Today that plea was answered with a decision by NCAA Committee members who reviewed the ending of Baylor's Sweet 16 game, in which Tasha Butts hit two free throws after a questionable call with 0.2 seconds left to give top-seeded Tennessee a 71-69 victory over Baylor in the Midwest Regional semifinals last Sunday night.

Baylor coach Kim Mulkey-Robertson said it might be the most bizarre finish she has ever been a part of.

"I don't know that I've been involved in one where the game was over and they put time back on the clock and they shot free throws," Mulkey-Robertson said.

Even her coaching counterpart expressed disappointment in the finish.

"I hate to see a good game end like that," Summitt said. "Tonight was a situation where there were a lot of calls everybody is on edge about."

"We just felt that the ending was wrong. No game should end like that in the NCAA tournament. We didn't like it, the coaches didn't like it, and the fans didn't like it," said an NCAA spokeswoman. "We did this for the fans. They are our primary concern and what they think is the most important thing."

Mulkey-Robertson left with a big smile and a final comment, "Everything is right now thanks to the Committee. We are packing our bags and taking our rightful place in the Final Four."
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Hey,

April Fools gags are only good BEFORE Noon, aren't they?

Wasn't buying the Valentine one, either.

Nice tries, though.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 09:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

What a foolish decision.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Hey,

April Fools gags are only good BEFORE Noon, aren't they?

Wasn't buying the Valentine one, either.

Nice tries, though.
Well, you're wiser than me. He got me but GOOD!!! Sheez....
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 01:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Yeah, I bought the Valentine one. Not this one, though. Fool me once, shame on you....
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 03:18am
Official Forum Member

Hopefully, everyone got a good laugh out of them both.
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 04:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Yep, sure did. The Barnes response just seemed too realistic. Good one.
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 08:08am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Hopefully, everyone got a good laugh out of them both.
Yeah, everybody but Tree G, the Baylor fanboy. He probably soiled his panties before somebody clued him in.No doubt he went ahead and re-posted it on the Baylor Fanboy XXXXHead website too, and got them all excited as soon as they got their kids to read it to them.

PS- I put my own X's in. mick. Saved you the bother. Do I still get points for alliteration?
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Thursday, April 1, 2004

Associated Press

NORMAN, Okla. -- Kim Mulkey-Robertson remembers how she felt when she first got the word this morning from AD Ian McCaw that the NCAA Women's Basketball Committee had awarded her Baylor team a spot in this year's Final Four.
Not mentioned in this article, the NCAA would like to announce officialforum.com member and veteran offical, Judge, has been assigned to do Baylor's semifinal game. The NCAA is still looking two other officials willing to work with him on the game.
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wizard

Not mentioned in this article, the NCAA would like to announce officialforum.com member and veteran offical, Judge, has been assigned to do Baylor's semifinal game. The NCAA is still looking two other officials willing to work with him on the game.
And if I get picked I promise I'll buy tickets for the rest of you!
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by JustAFan
If my player does it, it's ticky-tack. If my opponent does it, then it's flagrant.
Good tagline, Justa. But i'd change the subject to "daughter" or "son" or "team". Why limit it to the ten on the floor?