The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Inadvertent whistle on over and back

Toward the end of a jv game tonight that had already been decided, I lost my concetration and had a mental lapse, the team that was winning was working the ball up the court and A1 was straddling the halfcourt line, one foot and the ball in the frontcourt, one foot in the back court, she threw a pass across to a teammate that was crossing into the frontcourt she drops the ball and it goes back into the backcourt, I for some reason blow my whistle and start to call an over and back violation, which it wasn't, the coach from that team yells that isn't over and back, which as soon as a blew the whistle I knew it wasn't. I point to myself and say that I screwed up the call, my question is since I blew the play dead, do we go the alternating possession arrow? I called it a jump ball and went to the arrow, I wanted to see if that was right or is it a point of interuption and I should have give the ball back to the team that was in possession before I had the inadvertent whistle? I know I had screwed this up before in the past just couldn't remember what the correct way to procede is?
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 10:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Rocket Science ???

Inadvertent whistle while team has team control: That team gets the ball for a throwin nearest the location of the ball at the time of the whistle.

Inadvertent whistle while neither team has team control: Alternating possession arrow and throwin nearest the location of the ball at the time of the whistle.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Inadvertent whistle while team has team control: That team gets the ball for a throwin nearest the location of the ball at the time of the whistle.

Inadvertent whistle while neither team has team control: Alternating possession arrow and throwin nearest the location of the ball at the time of the whistle.
Billy Mac, if it's not rocket science, then tell us what the ruling would have been if there had been an interrupted dribble and an inadvertent whistle.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 11:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You're Tossing Me Softballs ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Billy Mac, if it's not rocket science, then tell us what the ruling would have been if there had been an interrupted dribble and an inadvertent whistle.
This is easy, because I actually had this in a game Saturday, and I posted a question about it on the Forum. There is still team control, but not player control, during an interrupted dribble. That's why we can call a three second violation during an interrupted dribble.

Note: The rocket science title was not meant to be mean spirited, I just wanted to convey that inadvertent whistles are usually very easy to remedy. Should I go back and change the title? It does seem little harsh, especially coming from me.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 181174 View Post
...I for some reason blow my whistle and start to call an over and back violation, which it wasn't, the coach from that team yells that isn't over and back, which as soon as a blew the whistle I knew it wasn't.
This doesn't answer your question, but a wise old man once told me a way out of this that I have used once. If you have an IW and know it, reach down to the floor and look like you are picking something up and put it in your pocket. Put the ball back in play and move on. No one will ever question that.

Roger
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
This is easy, because I actually had this in a game Saturday, and I posted a question about it on the Forum. There is still team control, but not player control, during an interrupted dribble. That's why we can call a three second violation during an interrupted dribble.

Note: The rocket science title was not meant to be mean spirited, I just wanted to convey that inadvertent whistles are usually very easy to remedy. Should I go back and change the title? It does seem little harsh, especially coming from me.
No, I was just yanking your chain because the original play was not unlike your play. I found your reply amusing considering your previous thread.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Wouldn't it be easier to remember that IW is always POI?
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Good reponses.

I'm just thrilled that a coach knew the rule.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to remember that IW is always POI?
I'd think so, but given all the questions on "Is it POI or is it the arrow?" that we get, my guess is that this would just further complicate it for some members.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

I was helping out last night with a pair of girls junior high games. In the 7th grade game, the home team was down 25 points in the 4th quarter. A girl for the home team, whom I'm guessing probably doesn't see alot of playing time normally was in the game. She grabbed a rebound from a shot missed by one of her teammates, and all proud of herself proceed to start dribbling down the floor - yes towards the wrong basket. For a fleeting moment, the thought did go through my mind to blow an "inadvertent" whistle to prevent the backcourt violation, but I didn't.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'd think so, but given all the questions on "Is it POI or is it the arrow?" that we get, my guess is that this would just further complicate it for some members.
Perhaps we need a POI sticky.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Perhaps we need a POI sticky.
Only if it brings us back to the page we were reading before we clicked on it.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Toward the end of a jv game tonight that had already been decided, I lost my concetration and had a mental lapse, the team that was winning was working the ball up the court and A1 was straddling the halfcourt line, one foot and the ball in the frontcourt, one foot in the back court, she threw a pass across to a teammate that was crossing into the frontcourt she drops the ball and ...

Where did the ball land when she dropped the ball?
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 01:52pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
My partner last week, many more yrs of experience than me and a former V official who now does Rec Ball, had an IW as the T when he sneezed! No backcourt pressure on A1 as he was bringing the ball up and no consequence to the play. Never seen that one before. Funny as he!!.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post

Toward the end of a jv game tonight that had already been decided, I lost my concetration and had a mental lapse, the team that was winning was working the ball up the court and A1 was straddling the halfcourt line, one foot and the ball in the frontcourt, one foot in the back court, she threw a pass across to a teammate that was crossing into the frontcourt she drops the ball and ...

Where did the ball land when she dropped the ball?
I don't think the ball is in the FC, "crossing" doesnt' give enough information (and it should be "who was crossing...", and it doesn't matter (yet) where she dropped the ball.