The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Inadvertent Whistle

I heard about this game from a neighbor. We all have to feel for our brethren in this case. We've all done it and we only hope it's not as big as this one. The version of the story I heard was the IW was at the end of the game and prevented the winning score. It actually occurred early in the 3rd quarter so there was plenty of game after it. Funny how stories change as they are passed on.

http://cantonrep.com/index.php?Categ...subCategoryID=
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

That's why we were taught not to blow the whistle UNTIL you can see the ball. The whistle is not needed to end the play. The play ends itself.
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Since it was an IW on a fake into the line and then a 54 yard roll out run, I would guess that a lot of those yards were gained well after the whistle blew. It's no excuse, but sometimes these things are made to sound even worse than they were. It wouldn't seem near as bad if a 4 yard run was called back.
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D
Since it was an IW on a fake into the line and then a 54 yard roll out run, I would guess that a lot of those yards were gained well after the whistle blew. It's no excuse, but sometimes these things are made to sound even worse than they were. It wouldn't seem near as bad if a 4 yard run was called back.
The article said the ball was placed at the 28 so he got quite a few yards before the whistle blew. Just a reminder that we have to hold the whistle until we see the ball.
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

GET THE WHISTLE OUT OF YOUR MOUTH AFTER THE SNAP! See the ball...see the ball...see the ball.

Funny, but I've never had an IW since I learned to get the whistle out of my mouth after the snap.
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref
GET THE WHISTLE OUT OF YOUR MOUTH AFTER THE SNAP! See the ball...see the ball...see the ball.

Funny, but I've never had an IW since I learned to get the whistle out of my mouth after the snap.
I've still had one where there was a pile going nowhere and I could see the who had the ball and ASSUMED (that's a bad word) he still had the ball. The whistle was blown to prevent anyone from taking any cheap shots on the pile and to stop the blocking going on around the pile for safety reasons. Your advice is spot on but it can still result in an IW in the effort to apply safety. We are all human. You are a better man if you've never had one.

P.S. GO BISON!